Author Topic: No butts in the seats and tailgate lot was just as bad!  (Read 44369 times)

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: No butts in the seats and tailgate lot was just as bad!
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2014, 04:57:16 PM »
Ysu has a huge following in Cleveland, Columbus and Pittsburgh. We need media coverage in those towns. Marketing ain't the problem. Lack of media coverage and population decline is.

Barstool:  Could you clarify the dividing line of marketing and media?  I am missing your point on this.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2014, 05:04:48 PM »
It's all about jobs. And there are very limited decent paying jobs for youngsters. The area is declining every single year.

This is going to affect enrollment.

This is going to affect attendance.

But people still refuse to believe this is a dying area. Drive around the suburbs of Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Columbus. Then look at me with a straight face and say strut hers, liberty, girard, austintown and Campbell are appealing.

The politicians (Hagan, Ryan, any mayor of any city, betras) they are the problem!!!

But this message board is typical of this area. Placing blame where problems don't exist. Wtf will firing coaches and marketing people do to keep people from moving out of the area? It's the ignorance that got us in this problem to begin with.

Ok, this is not a political message board. It's a YSU sports message board where we talk sports. Talk about the decline of the city somewhere else. It is what it is..... Marketing department is the problem. Heck, we had one of our posters, Mr. Bryan make an awesome hyped up video on for one of the home games this year that was better than I've seen ANYTHING the athletic department has put out.

Don't be in denial.  I like you a lot  0505 but there certainly is a factor of political allegiance that is a factor in the financial health of the area.

I understand your guys point.... Ok, so we had a bad crowd, against a bad opponent, on a bad weather day. It is what it is. Can we get back to football now???

Offline BarstoolCleveland

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2014, 05:44:49 PM »
Ysu has a huge following in Cleveland, Columbus and Pittsburgh. We need media coverage in those towns. Marketing ain't the problem. Lack of media coverage and population decline is.

Barstool:  Could you clarify the dividing line of marketing and media?  I am missing your point on this.

So here's my point. We have tv, print, radio and now Internet media coverage in big cities all within a couple of hours from town. We have athletes from these areas playing for our teams. We have alumni in these areas. There's a gap between the media who tell these stories, and ysu, who's supposed to bring these stories to them. I have yet to see one highlight in Cleveland news. Even with our runningback from two years ago being from there. We have people who specialize in getting this info to the media. Ysu is doing a poor job at that.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2014, 10:44:26 PM »
Geriatrics my friends, geriatrics!!!  You fail to realize that this town is old and the people are old and the fans that went to the games in the 90's when it was popular are now old.  We do not have a young fan base anymore.  No young people moving into the community.  Forget about Poland, Canfield, Mooney, Ursuline fans coming to a YSU game, they don't get it. Geriatric Crowd...do I need to post the picture of the woman crocheting in the stands again? 

GO GUINS!
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2014, 10:56:37 PM »
Geriatrics my friends, geriatrics!!!  You fail to realize that this town is old and the people are old and the fans that went to the games in the 90's when it was popular are now old.  We do not have a young fan base anymore.  No young people moving into the community.  Forget about Poland, Canfield, Mooney, Ursuline fans coming to a YSU game, they don't get it. Geriatric Crowd...do I need to post the picture of the woman crocheting in the stands again? 

GO GUINS!

Love this post. Crochet in the stands. Fantastic. 

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2014, 07:10:47 AM »

So here's my point. We have tv, print, radio and now Internet media coverage in big cities all within a couple of hours from town. We have athletes from these areas playing for our teams. We have alumni in these areas. There's a gap between the media who tell these stories, and ysu, who's supposed to bring these stories to them. I have yet to see one highlight in Cleveland news. Even with our runningback from two years ago being from there. We have people who specialize in getting this info to the media. Ysu is doing a poor job at that.

Agreed with the media disappointment. There is following all over the area. Each year one of the Pittsburgh Newspapers has done a piece in the beginning of the season, showcasing the kids that have come in from the WPIAL to play in the YO, and have also done stories on Christian and Dante as they were known players in the Pittsburgh Area. But these were articles just written because they are hometown kids and they do a nice job following them. Need to work on the media attention the next couple years. Its upsetting flying up to see my brother play in his Senior season and seeing an empty stadium, not just because I wanna see it filled, but also because I know for a fact the players want it to be filled. Hoping we take care of business this week in Illinois. And if we do and there is a small crowd for the Indiana State final home game of the season that will be dissapointing. This is a good Ill State team, but a extremely beatable team.
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2014, 12:26:18 PM »
So who at YSU is responsible for getting information to the media?
Was that Christian's dad running around in shorts on Saturday?
I saw Andre Stubbs mom wearing an OSU stocking cap Saturday.  I hope she doesn't get thrown out of the stadium the next cold game.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2014, 12:57:50 PM »
If the casual fans don't show up on bad weather days against bad teams, who cares?

Why do we need an additional 2000 fans who sit there silently like they are watching an opera? I would bet the percentage of these 2000 people who would actually pay for their tickets would be shockingly small, so it would not affect revenue at all IMO.

Make the playoffs more than once a decade maybe they'll come back, maybe not. Screw 'em either way.

Offline Bob Rooney

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2014, 01:26:40 PM »
I am and have been a long time YSU fan. I graduated from there and attended games back at Rayen Stadium, to Campbell, to Fitch and then at the Ice Castle. I was fortunate to travel to three different championship games. When they were hot in the 90's YSU was the place to been seen. Games were the social event of the week. As the teams declined so did the attendance. It is no surprise to see poorly attended games. What I find sad is that posters are attacking Mooney and Ursuline because fans attend those games and not YSU. This board is about YSU, not the local high schools. Mooney and Ursuline have provided their fans with state championships over the last decade while YSU has fallen on its face when the chips were down and a playoff spot was at stake. Wake up folks! The problem is YSU and the product that is on the field every Saturday. No one wants to see Butler and St. Francis. Those glory days are gone and YSU needs to carve a new niche and begin to establish itself again as a legitimate playoff contender.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2014, 01:40:58 PM »
I am and have been a long time YSU fan. I graduated from there and attended games back at Rayen Stadium, to Campbell, to Fitch and then at the Ice Castle. I was fortunate to travel to three different championship games. When they were hot in the 90's YSU was the place to been seen. Games were the social event of the week. As the teams declined so did the attendance. It is no surprise to see poorly attended games. What I find sad is that posters are attacking Mooney and Ursuline because fans attend those games and not YSU. This board is about YSU, not the local high schools. Mooney and Ursuline have provided their fans with state championships over the last decade while YSU has fallen on its face when the chips were down and a playoff spot was at stake. Wake up folks! The problem is YSU and the product that is on the field every Saturday. No one wants to see Butler and St. Francis. Those glory days are gone and YSU needs to carve a new niche and begin to establish itself again as a legitimate playoff contender.

Bob-YSU is a national title contender this year and for the next 3 years.  Go to a game.  This team has all the tools.  Watch them play.

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2014, 01:50:48 PM »
Bob I agree with you too an extent.  The point is however that when YSU the past two years has needed a nice crowd for that home field advantage, they haven't got it.  Both those games were huge with major playoff implications.  How would that affect your morale as a player busting your butt week in and week out and have very little support from alumni and current students, it's embarrassing.  Bottom line come out and watch the team, anyone can support a winner, true fans support there team winning or losing.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2014, 02:57:22 PM »
Here on this board lies your key:

Let's not cry over it. Worse, let's not attack people over attendance. Neither of these are the same as mentioning attendance.

If you attack someone over some issue (for example attending a ysu game), you have lost them for good. If someone tries to guilt me into coming to a YSU game, I am not going to do it for fear of being embarrassed by some people that I know that may be "regulars" (such as the person that made me feel guilty). Instead, if you tell people how good the team is this year, or maybe mention a couple of awesome players or plays, then you spark interest and they will want to come. In short, it becomes something that people want to attend, rather than feel a sense of obligation to do so.

We had the same conversation at the preseason Penguin Club meeting before the spring game. I feel that the "Will-Call" booth needs to be opened even if we only have 5k to 10k in sales. It should be open if we sell 2 tickets. When fans win the 50/50, the announcement should tell them to go to the will-call booth. It generates a feeling of excitement and desire to attend' also a sense of urgency to do so. The same thing happens here on this board. This is fans website, why would anyone attack anyone else on this board? Obviously it is full of people that care ...try being more of a preacher, and less of a theologian. Don't "tell" a fiend or family member to attend ...rather "invite" them.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2014, 07:00:21 PM »

GO GUINS!

Just got up from my afternoon nap, darn I missed the buffet special again, anyway I wanted to check the board before I go to bed for the night. Yawn!

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

ValleyTalk

« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2014, 07:03:15 PM »
I get a kick out of all the local fans that are complaining about attendance. Here's a thought, put your money where your mouth is and actually go to the games!

Offline mvfc penguin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2014, 09:11:54 PM »
All it takes for "fans" to be more of a factor at home games according to y'all is for the team to be winning. Do you fail to realize that every year under Wolfs tenure the team has increased its win total from years past (3,6,7,8). And the past 3 years the team has been 1 game away from the playoffs. But in those crucial playoff games where the team needed a 'home field crowd' they got nothing. It is in fact a running joke around the community to guess the attendance for the game (last week the pre-game prediction was 5,000) which is such a shame due to the talent level of the team this year as well as the overall record (should be undefeated).

How can you put this on the players, when the players bring 500+ of the "butts in the seats" due to friends and family coming to support them. If the players could pay to have a sellout every home game and have a home atmosphere like they experience on the road, I would be willing to bet any amount of money that they would do that in a heart beat.

The best home atmosphere those boys have had all year was at the end of the Western game when the true fans stayed after the bandwagoners left and the game was given up to a Hail Mary at the end. The players seemed out of sync because they were not used to playing in a home atmosphere like that on offense. Watch the post game interviews from that game, there were a lot of communication errors because the defense was not used to playing in a loud environment such as that.

Every week all everybody needs to do is bring 1 or 2 people, not get black out drunk at the tailgate, make it to the game and all these problems will solved in no time. Well that and our boys making playoffs this year.