Author Topic: No butts in the seats and tailgate lot was just as bad!  (Read 42422 times)

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
Re: No butts in the seats and tailgate lot was just as bad!
« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2014, 09:19:20 PM »
So who at YSU is responsible for getting information to the media?
Was that Christian's dad running around in shorts on Saturday?
I saw Andre Stubbs mom wearing an OSU stocking cap Saturday.  I hope she doesn't get thrown out of the stadium the next cold game.

Haha, yes that was our dad in the shorts. Not sure why, he just always wears shorts. I was bundled up cause I cant stand the cold. Couple Players said that this past game was one of the coldest games they have played in the past couple years. Said the wind on the field level was brutal and made it feel that much colder.
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2014, 09:23:50 PM »
All it takes for "fans" to be more of a factor at home games according to y'all is for the team to be winning. Do you fail to realize that every year under Wolfs tenure the team has increased its win total from years past (3,6,7,8). And the past 3 years the team has been 1 game away from the playoffs. But in those crucial playoff games where the team needed a 'home field crowd' they got nothing. It is in fact a running joke around the community to guess the attendance for the game (last week the pre-game prediction was 5,000) which is such a shame due to the talent level of the team this year as well as the overall record (should be undefeated).

How can you put this on the players, when the players bring 500+ of the "butts in the seats" due to friends and family coming to support them. If the players could pay to have a sellout every home game and have a home atmosphere like they experience on the road, I would be willing to bet any amount of money that they would do that in a heart beat.

The best home atmosphere those boys have had all year was at the end of the Western game when the true fans stayed after the bandwagoners left and the game was given up to a Hail Mary at the end. The players seemed out of sync because they were not used to playing in a home atmosphere like that on offense. Watch the post game interviews from that game, there were a lot of communication errors because the defense was not used to playing in a loud environment such as that.

Every week all everybody needs to do is bring 1 or 2 people, not get black out drunk at the tailgate, make it to the game and all these problems will solved in no time. Well that and our boys making playoffs this year.

This is a nice post. Alot of the players do bring alot of family and friends. I know for a fact that my family brings at least 10 to almost all home games. We utilize Christians tickets that he gets for the team, and we have 4 more for the Penguin club. Aside from that often times if his roomates families are unable to attend we use them up as well. Next week for Senior day I am flying up, and I know that we have 15-20 coming up. And you are right, each year under Wolford their record has improved. Only thing missing is a playoff birth, (fingers crossed hoping that this is the year)!

Go Guins  fb

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2014, 12:34:55 PM »
We are not the only one with attendance issues.  ISU had to be disappointed with Saturday's turnout.  7-1 team playing a 7-2 team for 2nd place in the conference, decent weather, and only 8300 tickets sold.

Offline Karl Hungus

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2014, 01:17:54 PM »
Get everyone you can to attend. The seniors really deserve a nice crowd.

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2014, 01:59:56 PM »
Agreed.  fb

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2014, 03:06:49 PM »
All it takes for "fans" to be more of a factor at home games according to y'all is for the team to be winning. Do you fail to realize that every year under Wolfs tenure the team has increased its win total from years past (3,6,7,8). And the past 3 years the team has been 1 game away from the playoffs. But in those crucial playoff games where the team needed a 'home field crowd' they got nothing. It is in fact a running joke around the community to guess the attendance for the game (last week the pre-game prediction was 5,000) which is such a shame due to the talent level of the team this year as well as the overall record (should be undefeated).

How can you put this on the players, when the players bring 500+ of the "butts in the seats" due to friends and family coming to support them. If the players could pay to have a sellout every home game and have a home atmosphere like they experience on the road, I would be willing to bet any amount of money that they would do that in a heart beat.

The best home atmosphere those boys have had all year was at the end of the Western game when the true fans stayed after the bandwagoners left and the game was given up to a Hail Mary at the end. The players seemed out of sync because they were not used to playing in a home atmosphere like that on offense. Watch the post game interviews from that game, there were a lot of communication errors because the defense was not used to playing in a loud environment such as that.

Every week all everybody needs to do is bring 1 or 2 people, not get black out drunk at the tailgate, make it to the game and all these problems will solved in no time. Well that and our boys making playoffs this year.

This is a nice post and I was one of those at the WIU game. I don't think any other team fans "truly understand" the concept of the '12th man' more than Penguin fans. However, we were 1-game away several times under Heacock ...with a team that played a style of ball (particularly on defense) that we are much more accustomed to and enjoy.  SO if we wanted to continue to be "just one more game away" then why did we switch coaches? I might add we are only 1-away because the size of the field is increased. In a 16-team field ...how close were we? Even worse is that most people do not realize just how different ball is played in the play-off. It requires a great deal of experience that Wolford and his staff does not have. Tressel learned to this through constant trips top the post-season; but that first title in 1991, was won on pure brawn. By 1994, we were able to outsmart a couple of finesse teams.

My point is ...Wofford has a long ways to go even when he does make the post-season.

At that WIU game (or was it USD?) we simply had to line up and play. The officiating became quite bothersome and some of us had enough and became even louder. I was upset because the fans did not seem to know what they were doing. That QB was signal calling with his hands and voice ...why was not every fan in the stands clapping and then yelling. There was a fan that came down from about row 40, up to the row-1 bar ...and he was clapping in the isle to show everyone what to do. In "the old days" we would have noisemakers and those plastic clapping hands to  make even more disruptions. Then these same fans complain about a boring game ...get there and get involved; in that order!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 03:16:40 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2014, 06:34:26 PM »
To make matters worse our brilliant media members in the valley are broadcasting the game live on Saturday.

Offline mvfc penguin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2014, 08:28:58 PM »
I just wish more people throughout the Valley (not the people on this site) would care about coming to the games and giving a damn about our team, because what a lot of people dont realize is that in college football unlike the nfl have completely different teams every year and this team that we get to watch this year is definitely something special.

mark my words.... ysu will be a playoff team for the next 3 years (this year included)

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2014, 08:43:32 AM »
Not only did Wolf's second half collapse hurt attendance for this week's game, but the TV powers dealt it another blow by scheduling the OSU game for noon on Saturday.  Sure hope the weather doesn't get any worse.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2014, 02:33:31 PM »
I just wish more people throughout the Valley (not the people on this site) would care about coming to the games and giving a damn about our team, because what a lot of people dont realize is that in college football unlike the nfl have completely different teams every year and this team that we get to watch this year is definitely something special.

mark my words.... ysu will be a playoff team for the next 3 years (this year included)

If games were 3 quarters long we might win 3 NC's  8)