Author Topic: MVFC Playoff Outlook  (Read 41104 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: MVFC Playoff Outlook
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2014, 12:03:46 PM »
After last weekend:

Ticket Punched:

NDSU    6-1 / 10-1
ISUr      6-1 / 9-1

Likely In:

UNI       5-2 /7-4      Strong OOC schedule, Quality wins, and only has MIzz St left
ISUb      4-3 /7-4      Beat an FBS team, beat UNI, and only has WIU left
SDSU     4-3  /7-4     Beat both UNI and ISUb, and only has the Yotes left

Bubble:

YSU     4-3 / 7-4       If David beats Goliath (in Goliath's home...with his friends and family watching)  they            are in

Out:

SIU          3-4 / 6-5
WIU         2-5/4-7
Mo St        1-6/4-7
USD          0-7 / 2-9

I think the Valley gets 5.....six if YSU wins......and as little as two if the "likely in's" choke.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2014, 12:05:32 PM »
They actually have 6... NDSU, Ind St, Ill St, Northern Iowa, SDSU and YSU

I know.....I was referring to the at-large invites and not including the auto-bid.

Six is good...but USD would tear up some of the auto-bids......
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2014, 01:29:28 PM »
 :-\ You've got to be sh**ting me!! I looked at the playoff picture 10 different ways and the NCAA right now has to hope for a YSU loss.. There is no way in HELL they'll be able "NOT" to justify taking 6 teams from the MVFC if all 5 of the MVFC teams that are lined up for the playoff's win excluding NDSU. "EVEN IF" YSU loses to NDSU YSU is still one of the top choice on the bubble by SOS and other factors with 7 D I wins... The 3 straight losses to end the season thing will be the killer! This is why I hate the auto bid!! The best 24 teams WON'T compete for a NC  :o
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 01:34:53 PM by ysubigred »

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2014, 01:32:09 PM »
It is really crazy right now the possibilities. A win will stir a lot of sh** up!
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2014, 01:38:44 PM »
I read that too.....YSU is still a bubble team with a loss at NDSU due the the SOS with MVFC schedule.

I seriously can't imagine a selection committee picking a 7-5 YSU squad due to the weak  OOC schedule.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2014, 01:51:18 PM »
I read that too.....YSU is still a bubble team with a loss at NDSU due the the SOS with MVFC schedule.

I seriously can't imagine a selection committee picking a 7-5 YSU squad due to the weak  OOC schedule.

You've got to thank St. Francis for some wins over ranked teams.. YSU OOC schedule isn't any weaker that playing in that auto bid conference  ::)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2014, 02:08:52 PM »

You've got to thank St. Francis for some wins over ranked teams.. YSU OOC schedule isn't any weaker that playing in that auto bid conference  ::)

I agree with all of your points.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2014, 02:17:12 PM »
From Fox News:

"Saturday's results made it more likely the powerful Missouri Valley Football Conference will get five bids, which would be the national high. Six teams are still in contention for bids, and Youngstown State hopes to force that first- ever scenario by winning at North Dakota State."

"Youngstown State has to win at North Dakota State next Saturday to avoid a three-game losing streak to end the regular season for a second consecutive season. It cost the Penguins a playoff bid last year. That likely would happen to coach Eric Wolford's squad again if its doesn't pull an upset at the Fargodome."

"The Northeast Conference has Sacred Heart in the field and might get Bryant as an at-large team, which would be a first for the conference."

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/11/16/in-fcs-huddle-playoff-field-taking-shape/

The NEC gets an at-large???? If that happens then the selection process is a complete farce.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2014, 02:20:43 PM »
They ripped that off of TSN.  That is Craig Haley's bullsh** and terrible garbage journalism