Author Topic: Butler game  (Read 18099 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Butler game
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2014, 08:15:31 AM »
My apologies. It was NCA&T that handily beat FLAMU. We beat them easily and again should have lost to FLAMU. You are right we won the game is Tressel fashion; but we were not prepared to play a larger, quicker, more physical team from Florida. They had an option game. The next week's score against GA Southern (a team with the best option game in the nation) was so predictable after that. Right or wrong ...I remember everyone saying that coach T had already left for Columbus in his mind.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2014, 08:59:59 AM »
Tressel didn't leave until the following season.  Ohio State still had their coach.  Tressel left after we lost to Richmond in the playoffs the following year.  That was the worst stadium I have ever been to.  It was raining and muddy.  I think Ryan threw a pick 6 at the end of that game and we lost.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2014, 09:27:25 AM »
penguinpower, I too was at that game in Richmond. Odd stadium. I remember no heat in restrooms. Day started off sunny, then it rained the entire game. Richmond now has a very nice on campus stadium.
Ryan did thrown an INT that was returned for the game winning TD. He audibled and receiver did not pick up the play change. Pass hit the Richmond DB right in the numbers, and he ran it in for a TD. Was surprised Tress did not just play for OT. Liked that YSU came out throwing, just was surprised, as it was un Tressel like. YSU got the ball back, but was not able to score. Was a weird game if you remember. Both teams were playing classic "Tressel Ball". And, unfortunately for YSU, that was an instance where the opponent out Tressel Balled YSU.

1AA Fan, I just wanted to clear things up for you. You had the teams right, just got the seasons intertwined. Easy to do when it was 15 and 17 years ago. You are right about FAMU. They could pass, and had a big running back YSU could not stop. Which is why it made no sense to throw the ball on the YSU 2 or 3 yard line. YSU had alot of close games that season. As for NC game, just ran into a buzzsaw. That is the best FCS team I ever saw in person. Also, if you remember, GSU only attempted 1 pass. It was in the 2nd qtr on a 3rd down and long, and was completed. Game was back and forth for awhile, then Ga Southern stepped on the gas. Still remember the punt return for a TD where the GSU player was never touched. Then the run by Adrian Peterson, in which he broke several tackles, and stiff armed Dwyte Smiley. He threw Smiley off like a rag doll, and Dwyte was an All American.

YSU was not expected to get to the NC game that year. Playoffs yes, but not another run at an NC. When at the game, I could not believe I was watching my Alma Mater play in a 6th NC Game in 9 years. That was a great run for YSU from 89-2000, and especially 91-99. Was even better for those of us who remember the D2 days, the early years in FCS, and even the first few seasons with Tressel. I remember Tress talking about winning an NC at YSU. He put up a rope in the locker room, and at the top had the team which had won the NC Title. Said one day YSU would be at the top of the rope. I thought he was insane. Then the win at GSU in 91, when he had the bus stop by the river in Statesboro to collect some river water, bring it back to Ytown and mix it with water from Mahoning River. Reason was to then dump the water in river when YSU returned for Title game. Again, I thought he was nuts. Heck, at that point in the season, was not even sure YSU would make the playoffs.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2014, 11:26:17 AM »
No problem talk ...nice conversation and memories. Power, everyone new that JT was the next coach at OSU. He was supposed to go two years before, but Cooper had a great year, so there was no cause to remove him.

In '99 GA Southern had no answer for our line and Adrian Brown. Brown was running all over them early (we made a sign that crossed out "Peterson" and instead said "Bown"), but he had some ungodly number of carries in the first-half alone. I knew he could not last. IN the second half, GSU put in 2 DE's and that was "all she wrote" for YSU.

That was the first time I ever saw Tressel move a TE back behind the line, as we wee not using a FB anymore. Heacock used to do that all the time; Wolf as well. We had become a true pro-set offense that year. Too bad, any pre-1998 YSU team would have beaten GA Southern ...as we were 4-0 against them prior to that. Our defense that year could not cover the pitch and QB
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 11:27:48 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2014, 11:51:34 PM »
Dante was in shorts and a t shirt today again at practice. Looks like it's Hunter to start.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2014, 11:59:13 PM »
YSU 31

Butler 14

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2014, 07:30:29 AM »
I don't see how the should score 14.  I think it will be 49 - 0

ValleyTalk

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2014, 09:19:54 AM »
Wells and Davis lead YSU to a 42-7 win. No excuse not to blow these guys out.

SUN IS SHINING!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2014, 04:14:59 PM »
Lol, right down the field they go!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2014, 04:17:57 PM »
When the f $#! Does Delisio graduate?  Damnit!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2014, 04:19:32 PM »
There has to be better players on the roster. #8 needs his own thread with the long list of failures

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2014, 04:25:18 PM »
He has had enough coaches that at somepoint you have to say that the player isnt very good!   

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2014, 04:46:11 PM »
There is no excuse for allow this POS Butler team to cross the 50 let alone score.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2014, 05:01:18 PM »
Reason for concern!!!  A glorified D1 school struggles to beat a D3 school the week before.  They proceed to watch film and decide we can pass pass pass against a very poor YSU secondary for 133 yards in the 1st quarter.  To think that the struggles we have had the last 3 or 4 years are ever gonna change under this regime is a pipe dream... 

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2014, 05:06:03 PM »
This is really painful to listen to right now.  YSU defense is just......well terrible.  And what does coach....."I'll take a timeout!!!"   ???