Author Topic: Players gone  (Read 3859 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Players gone
« on: July 31, 2014, 06:54:35 PM »
Good amount of players are gone per joe scalzo: Some notables are Vince Coleman left due to some family issues and won't return which hurts because he's a starter. Terry Johnson, Parnell Taylor... Also Marcel Caver due to student aid issue which hurts because he was in the rotation at WR. 13 players all together are gone.

Offline Karl Hungus

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Players gone
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 07:37:07 PM »
Let's play with whom we have left.

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 09:38:50 PM »
Is it normal for a team to lose SOOOO many players every year?  It seems like YSU loses multiple players every year since Wolford started, was it that bad under the 2 previous regimes?  I mean 13 players, really?  I understand those who HAVE to go for one reason or another.  But, guys who just leave?  Strange!!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 10:51:07 PM »
Soup,

Remember that in FCS football scholarships can be split and not all players get entirely free rides.  If you are buried on the depth chart and paying some (in the case of walk-ons....all) of your expenses, hanging around probably is not worth it.  The only real loss in this batch was Caver, and we are well fortified at receiver.

A FCS program starts to suffer when too many full-scholarship players leave.  Probably few of the thirteen fell into that category.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 01:58:03 PM »
Soup, 

Your post did indeed make me wonder about the attrition rate under Tressel and then Heacock.  I went to my files and pulled out game programs from 1999 and 2000, Tressel's last two years.  Also, I found programs from Heacock's first two seasons, 2001 and 2002.  Here were the results.  Between 1999 and 2000, Tressel lost 15 kids that had eligibility remaining.  Between 2001 and 2002, Heacock lost 21.  This is not a comprehensive or scientific survey, but it does suggest that Wolford's losses are not unusual for a FCS program.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 02:08:49 PM »
The history of many programs  is to see loss from year to year from academics, injury, discipline, transfers out and personal problems. Nothing new here.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 02:10:19 PM by paladin »