Author Topic: Maybe an upside  (Read 5256 times)

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Maybe an upside
« on: May 01, 2014, 08:41:12 PM »
I honestly do not recall who does the voting, the Pres the AD or someone else, but when YSU was not invited to join the mac, akron and kent were thought to be the reasons. If JT takes the akron job would he not be in a position to "help" YSU if another try is made?
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe an upside
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 09:49:03 PM »
I believe Jim Tressel will be the next president at Akron Univ. He hast a vast amount of contacts that will help Akron. As for YSU, it will our lost for not getting him earlier. But to your point guinpen, Jim stills loves Youngstown and has many friends here. He would be a big supporter and ally for YSU joining the MAC conference.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 11:12:40 PM »
Guys, not this again. >:(  Here are the cold, hard facts from the federal government data at the conclusion of 2010.  Then, the average MAC conference athletic spending was $21.6 million per year.  Our budget called  for $11.8 million.  In football alone, the average MAC program spent $6 million.  We spent $3.1 million.  And that is just the MAC average; the stronger programs undoubtedly spend much more.  Could you please answer this question: why would you want to belong to a conference where YSU would be horribly outspent in virtually every sport?  And a second question: did you ever consider that we spend properly on our sports, and that the MAC wastes millions of dollars on their quest to be considered "big time?"  A standing that real big time programs will NEVER award them.

kforbs126

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 09:51:49 AM »
Why would a University president care about who joins the MAC conference.  Now if he was Athletic Director sure, why not.  But they have more important things to do as president.

Offline stuperman17

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 10:18:31 AM »
Guys, not this again. >:(  Here are the cold, hard facts from the federal government data at the conclusion of 2010.  Then, the average MAC conference athletic spending was $21.6 million per year.  Our budget called  for $11.8 million.  In football alone, the average MAC program spent $6 million.  We spent $3.1 million.  And that is just the MAC average; the stronger programs undoubtedly spend much more.  Could you please answer this question: why would you want to belong to a conference where YSU would be horribly outspent in virtually every sport?  And a second question: did you ever consider that we spend properly on our sports, and that the MAC wastes millions of dollars on their quest to be considered "big time?"  A standing that real big time programs will NEVER award them.

100% agree... Lets just shut this door... forever.  It costs a considerable amount more to run an FBS program, only to play for a conference championship and a chance to play in a garbage bowl game.  No thanks. 

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 06:38:03 PM »
But to your point guinpen, Jim stills loves Youngstown and has many friends here. He would be a big supporter and ally for YSU joining the MAC conference.

Thanks for keeping it simple and to the point I was making.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 08:54:12 PM by guinpen »
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 08:56:39 PM »
Other than easy travel schedule with teams of greater interest to YSU, WHY the MAC, we can't win in
the MVC, and our budget can't match.  No doubt greater interest would evolve, but dare I say, "the bottom of the barrel, is a lonely place".  Or do you think we would be more competitive if we were in the MAC?  I don't see how but perhaps you do.  Last but not least, I would sincerely hope the Prez of any college  would spend his time more wisely than on sports, or we will all go to hell in a hand basket.

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 09:20:16 PM »
Why would a University president care about who joins the MAC conference.  Now if he was Athletic Director sure, why not.  But they have more important things to do as president.

The Presidents control who enters/leaves a conference. They care very much. They have all the power with conference and NCAA. They have all the meaningful votes. Presidents matter. Period.
"Make no mistake, MSU is not going to be a top half of the Big 10 team. They are lower half. That O of theirs is due to be manhandled." - paladin

"Hunter Wells isn't ready next year for D-I football" - paladin

Hunter Wells Stat Tracker: 17/23 303 yds, 4TDs, 242.0 QB Rating