Author Topic: Strollo: NLRB Ruling may bring big changes  (Read 7017 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Strollo: NLRB Ruling may bring big changes
« on: March 27, 2014, 02:23:15 PM »
YOUNGSTOWN

If college football players ever are granted university employee status, Ron Strollo says there would be huge changes to athletic programs.

Not everyone would be happy with what would be gained and lost.

Shortly after a federal agency ruled on Wednesday that football players at Northwestern University have the right to form a union, mysteries began swirling over the future of college athletics.

Strollo, Youngstown State University’s athletic director since 2001, said his initial reaction is that the ruling and ensuing controversy “probably will raise more questions than answers.”

In Chicago, a regional director of the National Labor Relations Board ruled that Northwestern players have the right to form a union because the scholarships they receive grant them employee status. The 24-page decision by Peter Sung Ohr, a NLRB regional director, said the athletes fall into a broad definition of employee.

According to the Chicago Tribune, Northwestern’s football players are the first in college sports to seek union representation. College Athletes Players Association is behind the effort.

CAPA is a union funded by Ramogi Huma, a former UCLA linebacker who has become an advocate for players’ rights. The Tribune reports CAPA is backed by the United Steelworkers, which is covering the group’s legal expenses.

CAPA is seeking financial coverage for former players with sports-related medical expenses, independent concussion experts to be placed on the sidelines during games and the creation of an educational trust fund to help former players graduate.

Those things would cause athletic departments’ budgets to skyrocket.

Ohr’s decision is expected to be appealed to the NLRB in Washington. Court cases stemming from the ruling could take many years to resolve.

If the courts ever rule that athletes are employees and entitled to benefits they do not now receive, Strollo speculated very few Division I schools would be able to handle the additional costs that would be created.

“If they are successful, it would drastically change what we know as interscholastic athletics,” Strollo said.

He explained that if athletes were allowed to unionize, the increased expenses most likely would mean fewer opportunities.

Some schools might no longer be able to afford football teams. And sports far less popular than football and men’s basketball could be phased out.

“Having to invest significant resources [to handle the change] would create stress on just about every campus,” Strollo said.

As college football and basketball have grown into billion-dollar industries, many have suggested that the players should receive compensation beyond their scholarships.

In June, a federal judge will hear the Ed O’Bannon antitrust lawsuit against the NCAA that seeks to strike down rules preventing college athletes from earning money from their names, likenesses and images.

If the NCAA loses, it will have to share the millions of dollars earned in broadcast fees and video game rights.

If the legal requirements change, Strollo said it’s possible some institutions in the new athletic universe may not be able to afford what they would be required to provide legally. That could lead to fewer student athletes as the amateurism model now employed would be shattered.

“[It would] probably turn everything into a minor league [system],” he said.

Strollo said he expects it will be quite a while before a final decision is rendered.

“As it progresses [through the legal system], I’m sure the NCAA will educate its members on the stance it’s taking,” Strollo said. “It will be interesting.”

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Strollo: NLRB Ruling may bring big changes
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 07:05:44 PM »
"In Chicago, a regional director of the National Labor Relations Board ruled that Northwestern players have the right to form a union because the scholarships they receive grant them employee status."

What about non-scholarship student-athletes?

Would students on academic scholarships similarly be considered employees and unionize?

Wouldn't this give those actually paying for their education (and through student fees others education indirectly) less rights than those on athletic scholarships?

Seems like many BCS schools may be able to weather what is a de facto new entitlement, but FCS and mid-major schools may need to make some difficult decisions re: # of scholarships, or even continuing some athletic programs.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 08:42:47 PM »
Here is something that college players and their ambulance-chasing advocates fail to comprehend.  Scholarships that cover tuition, books, and room/board are incredibly expensive, especially at private schools like Northwestern.  If players are allowed to unionize, receive expensive insurance, and even negotiate for large stipends, colleges still have control of the master card.  Schools can just say, ok, we will pay you as employees but we will discontinue scholarships at ALL levels.  So here is $20,000 for your salary and your insurance premium, now pay us the $30,000 for your schooling and your keep.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 06:46:44 AM »
Does not calling Student-athletes employees defeat the entire purpose? These are supposed to be kids looking to gain an education by virtue of a skill learned in younger grades. Saying the recognition is awarded by virtue of their scholarship status makes all students receiving any award (academic, social or athletic) the same thing ...employees of something or someone.

Now what about students (including student athletes) that receive scholarships and grants from sources outside of the university? Are those receiving the benefits to be considered an employee of those companies and private individuals who contribute to those awards? Where does the responsibility begin and end? Nice way to eliminate any donations to a university NLRB. Where are the brains in some of these people when they make such rulings? This is an example of why all the heavy industry left America.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 09:03:54 AM by IAA Fan »

Lets_Talk

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 09:22:21 PM »
At places like OSU, Notre Dame, Michigan, Florida, USC, Oklahoma...etc, the kids ARE university employees who generate millions of dollars for the schools, not to mention making millionaires out of their coaches in football and basketball. This is the year 2014, and things are much different in the world of college athletics than 30 or more years ago.

Also, the term "student-athlete" is a term that was coined by the NCAA so that schools could avoid paying the cost of injuries athletes suffer while playing for said schools. Yes, in most cases the schools do cover the cost when athletes get injured. But, there is currently no legal obligation, and schools bear no expense for treating injuries related to playing college sports after an athlete has used up their eligibility.

The NCAA is a pathetic joke of an organization, and many of the member institutions have been using these so called "student-athletes" to make millions of $$$$. Time for that to end.

"Friendly Reminder: The NCAA Invented The Term "Student-Athlete" To Get Out Of Paying Worker's Comp"
http://www.sippinonpurple.com/2014/1/28/5355988/ncaa-student-athlete-kain-colter-union-workers-comp

Lets_Talk

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 10:31:11 PM »
Here is another thing for people to consider, especially those who talk about the "free education". This link provides an essay written by a former athlete at North Carolina, which earned the "student" an A-. The essay was about Rosa Parks, is full of grammatical errors, and contains only 146 words.

I find it very hard to believe that UNC is the only place where this type of thing takes place. I know for a FACT that there were teachers at YSU when I was a student who would give athletes passing grades provided they simply show up, and do minimal work.

These so called "student-athletes" may have their tuition paid in full, but that does not mean they are receiving a quality education. Many are likely being pushed through to graduation with a combination of questionable courses and favorable grading on the part of faculty.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2014/03/27/the_unc_fake_class_scandal_athlete_got_an_a_for_a_one_paragraph_paper.html
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 10:32:51 PM by Lets_Talk »

kforbs126

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 08:51:50 AM »
Here is another thing for people to consider, especially those who talk about the "free education". This link provides an essay written by a former athlete at North Carolina, which earned the "student" an A-. The essay was about Rosa Parks, is full of grammatical errors, and contains only 146 words.

I find it very hard to believe that UNC is the only place where this type of thing takes place. I know for a FACT that there were teachers at YSU when I was a student who would give athletes passing grades provided they simply show up, and do minimal work.

These so called "student-athletes" may have their tuition paid in full, but that does not mean they are receiving a quality education. Many are likely being pushed through to graduation with a combination of questionable courses and favorable grading on the part of faculty.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2014/03/27/the_unc_fake_class_scandal_athlete_got_an_a_for_a_one_paragraph_paper.html

Not receiving a quality education, really?  How about they are probably the kids that wouldn't get through college so the Universities hook them up.  There are plenty of student athletes that actually are good/great students who take full advantage of the free education they are getting from playing a sport.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 12:04:25 PM »
http://www.vindy.com/news/2014/mar/30/money-drives-college-union-ruling/

I do think many BCS schools could afford to pay their student athletes, whether it is proper or not is another issue.

Regarding YSU, where would they get the $$ to pay their student-athletes?  I frequently hear that the Athletic Department is underfunded now.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline stuperman17

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 09:59:17 AM »

I do think many BCS schools could afford to pay their student athletes, whether it is proper or not is another issue.

Regarding YSU, where would they get the $$ to pay their student-athletes?  I frequently hear that the Athletic Department is underfunded now.

There are only a handful of division 1 schools in the country that aren't operating in a deficit.  I think the NCAA should pay the athletes, if at all.. Not the schools, most can't afford it.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 09:25:41 PM »

There are only a handful of division 1 schools in the country that aren't operating in a deficit.  I think the NCAA should pay the athletes, if at all.. Not the schools, most can't afford it.

If it comes to paying the players, I like this idea. All D1 players make the same buck, all D2 a lesser amt as with D3. Each school pays into the pool and the NCAA pays the players.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 09:15:51 AM by IAA Fan »
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Lets_Talk

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 12:25:42 AM »
My idea for some time now on paying players has been as follows. At most schools that I know of, student-employees are allowed to work 20 hours per week. So, during the season, players get paid for working 20 hours per week, at the same pay rate as any other student employee on campus.

Yes, there will be many schools that cannot afford to do this, especially if the schools is responsible for paying the athletes. So, to deal with that situation, either have this rule apply to Division 1 schools only, or as guinpen suggested, have the NCAA contribute to the pot from which athletes would be paid.

For a port like football, athletes would be paid during the regular season, and also spring practice, as spring practice is mandatory.

If a school is not able to afford to pay the athletes, then said school just drops down to D2 or D3. Or, the idea proposed by guinpen of schools at D2 and D3 having a lower amount required to pay athletes could also work. Pay the athletes with a monthly stipend based. There are ways this can be done, if and when the NCAA and it's member institutions want to admit they ARE in the business of athletics.

As it is right now, the 5 major football playing conferences are pretty much working on a plan to separate from the rest of D1. I actually see this as something positive. Being in Vegas now, I can tell you that UNLV would be much better of from a $$$$$$$$ standpoint and competitive standpoint if they were FCS in football. Same is pretty much true for the entire Mountain West, with exception of Boise. I believe the same is true for the MAC, with the exception of maybe NIU. The reason I single out NIU, is because they have proven to be a consistent quality program now, and done so with multiple HC's.

So, at least in football, I see things eventually getting to a point where there are the 5 major conferences, each having 12-14 teams, along with BYU and Notre Dame.

Basketball is a bit different, but I still believe there are way to many teams in the top division of D1. And, I can remember back in the 90's, Tressel talking about the possibility there would ultimately be a 1AA/FCS equivalent for basketball.

As for the Northwestern lawsuit, at least at this time, it pertains ONLY to Northwestern, and is in regards to paying the cost of medical bills for injuries sustained while playing sports at Northwestern.

The other lawsuit, which was filed by Ed O'Bannon among others, is in regards to athletes being able to receive money when schools and the NCAA use their image and likeness for video games, and might also be for any/all merchandise sells. And, I believe the players do deserve a cut of that money.

Offline stuperman17

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 11:27:07 AM »
How do people feel about letting athletes sign autographs for profit?...I also think its possible to allow, in some way, for players to receive endorsement deals of some sort.   Thoughts?  These are of no cost to the school or the NCAA.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 12:00:11 PM »
I am in favor of both. And, like you said, it comes at no cost to the University. Also think it is ridiculous that it is a
rules violation when an athlete sells merchandise that is THEIR OWN on Ebay, or in return for tat's like with the players at OSU.

If an athlete steals things from the equipment room, that is one thing. But, if it is their own property, how does the NCAA get away with preventing athletes from selling the jersey, pants, gloves...etc? Same with autographed memorabilia, or just autographs in general.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 04:42:23 PM »
No no no. How could you be in favor of either?

All you are doing is giving $$$ to the schools. Okay, so an OSU Archie Griffin article is worth more than the same article from Louis Irrizzary. SO why is that? The value is on the person that owned it. Now take any article of YSU's ...less maybe Jim Tressel or Ron Jaworski items; where is the value there? in 99% of the cases, the value is on the school. Maybe a local fan (such as myself) that likes items by his team ...or the person that sold it in the first-place. Again the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Charging for signature should be a criminal offense, it is so awful. It is a denial of all that is sports. Sports are for the fans & when I can go to NFL, MLB and major college games for free ...then you can charge me to interact with players. In the mean time ...I PAY YOUR SALARY. So how about I threaten to sue you for not doing what I ask and sign my photo?

It is precisely that which is wrong with the entire idiotic premise of collegiate athletes being employees.

The solution is to offer poor students (that are athletes) an alternate venue to play ...in opposition to college. MLB has done it for over 100-years now. Sure collegiate baseball is a bit of a talent drop from AAA ...but it makes a college baseball game no less exciting. Heck would pay no less than $80 to do to an OSU football game, yet I can pay $1 to get in and buy hotdogs for a dime at a Columbus Clippers game.

So I ask you ...would you pay to see a semi-pro football team from Youngstown play other clubs?