Author Topic: Horizon league tournament  (Read 22435 times)

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Horizon league tournament
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2014, 11:13:05 AM »
What a pathetic performance.  Why does Youngstown continue to accept mediocrity in our men's basketball team?  I can't believe that this is the best we can do.  The online story in The Vindicator is an AP story, did The Vindicator not even send a writer?

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2014, 11:28:42 AM »
I indicated one or two things would happen. Both unfortunate for the guins.   We lost another close one, but the thing that really irks me is we had leads of 8-12 points in most of these games we lost, then in the second half we pissed them away with poor foul shooting, turnovers, and having teams' other players simply jump over ours to take the games out of our hands.   

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2014, 09:21:50 PM »
What a pathetic performance.  Why does Youngstown continue to accept mediocrity in our men's basketball team?  I can't believe that this is the best we can do.  The online story in The Vindicator is an AP story, did The Vindicator not even send a writer?

Vindy doesn't send a writer to away basketball games, unless Cleveland State.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2014, 09:26:33 PM »
.06 seconds left and you have somebody guarding the ball when they have to go full court lol.... I don't think I'll ever get over that. Fire Slocum!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2014, 07:25:26 AM »
.06 seconds left and you have somebody guarding the ball when they have to go full court lol.... I don't think I'll ever get over that. Fire Slocum!

Now why would you always do that? Ever hear of a 5-second violation? They needed 3-points & they had to make sure that #3 was fouled before he went up for the 3-point shot ...and you know he would have and you know he would have made it. Obvious coaching decision in my book!!!

Look complain about performance all you want, but this one was ALL on the players & the fact that there were know calls in the paint ...OU could have had a campfire an roasted marshmallows and it would not have been called. That and Belin could not see the obvious lanes to the basket twice in the last 1:19 of regulation (and although not as obvious, he did it again in OT with a 1-point lead). The result was no points. Then off the rebound, we fouled #3 WHILE SHOOTING A THREE on both instances. That needless fouls because of the shove & the made charity toss (that he was told to miss by Slocum) didn't help. This is a team loss.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 02:01:26 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2014, 11:22:51 AM »

Now why would you always do that? Ever hear of a 5-second violation? They needed 3-points & they had to make sure that #3 was fouled before he went up for the 3-point shot ...and you know he would have and you know he would have made it. Obvious coaching decision in my book!!!

Look complain about performance all you want, but this one was ALL on the players & the fact that there were know calls in the paint ...OU could have had a campfire an roasted marshmallows and it would not have been called. That and Belin could not see the obvious lanes to the basket twice in the last 1:19 of regulation (and although not as obvious, he did it again in OT with a 1-point lead). The result was no points. Then off the rebound, we fouled #3 WHILE SHOOTING A THREE on both instances. That shove & made charity toss didn't help. This is a team loss.

Easy to blame the players, that's exactly what your boy Slocum does too. Shameful......

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2014, 02:06:37 PM »
You make a good point in that this is Slocum's team & the responsibility has to stop somewhere ...obviously at the top. However, I have never heard coach call anything specific on a player ...not his style. He may say the a particular person had a weak first half, or something similar compared to that person's normal performance ...but he would never call out someone, such as Belin as I did in my post. The comment on the foul was obvious ...it was on an individual.

Offline popsicle

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2014, 05:14:27 PM »
IAA Fan.....unless you are closer to the parties involved in the last free throw than I am.........please don't make statements that are TOTALLY false. Coach Slocum did not direct that player to miss the last foul shot.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2014, 05:50:54 PM »
Did he resign yet?  Please do.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2014, 08:00:21 PM »
As for Weber and whether or not he was instructed to miss the 2nd FT, I am not privy to such information. But, I would like to believe that a second year player at the NCAA D1 level would understand the worst thing to do in that situation is make the 2nd FT.

In the end, neither Weber making the FT or the decision to cover the player in-bounding the ball cost YSU this game. There is plenty of blame to go around on the YSU side, and plenty of credit to be given to Oakland for not giving up.

Had Slocum not had a player covering the player in-bounding the ball, and Oakland somehow managed to score, the very same people criticizing the decision to cover the passer would be criticizing Slocum for NOT covering the player in-bounding the ball. Same with Weber making the FT. Had he missed, and Oakland somehow been able to score and win the game, people would be ripping him apart for missing 2 FT's with .6 seconds left.

Offline popsicle

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2014, 09:23:56 PM »
That sounds like a back-handed apology for STATING incorrect information.....but I will accept it none the less. As for the your statement that "ANY 2ND YEAR D1 WOULD UNDERSTAND THE WORST THING TO DO IN THAT SITUATION IS TO MAKE THE 2ND FT"?
So he misses it. We are up 1. They throw the ball full-court, there is a skirmish, we foul. Send a guy to the line for two FT's and we are up 1? Or they catch and shoot on a long pass(ala Laettner) and we are up one? Forget the OT! Game over! These scenarios sound crazy? And you just witnessed the end of this game!?
But back to our disagreement. Wouldn't any coach, in his 39th year at ANY level, have instructed his player to miss the 2nd FT if he thought that was the best thing to do? You just proved my point! Can't love 'em and hate 'em in the same sentence.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2014, 09:32:53 PM »
Your all forgetting there were .06 seconds left!!!! That is catch the ball and throw it up, and even that would be close to not getting it off in time. It wasn't ball side out.. They had to go full length of the court! That play just optimizes our season and it's sad.

Offline popsicle

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2014, 09:53:01 PM »
Not in to bashing Coach Slocum. Just don't like people spouting off at the mouth with no real basis. Hindsight is always 20/20. But blindness has no rating.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2014, 06:44:54 AM »
Popsicle:

If you would have watched the game ...you would have seen how upset Weber was & Slocum patted him on the back and sent him back out. CLEARLY he had no intention of making the shot; at least the second. Now maybe he thought that if he made the first, he would try to make the second (getting a 3-point lead) ...I don't know and would not agree with such a strategy. In either case he wanted to miss the second shot & Slocum is aware of this. Now was I listening ...no, but let's assume there was some strategy involved.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2014, 06:55:09 AM »
popsicle,

Yes, I would have expected one or more of the coaches to tell Weber to miss the 2nd FT, as there were only .6 seconds left. Oakland had a timeout, so they likely would have had enough time to call a TO and have the ball. But, they would have had at most .3 or .4 seconds. And, the player in-bounding the ball would not have been able to run the baseline. If Weber was NOT instructed to miss the 2nd FT, that to me is a mistake.

The rest of the post is for the discussion in general. My personal opinion is the Slocum era at YSU has helped improve the program, but that things have plateaued. So, the question to me is where does the administration want to go from here? It is unlikely Slocum will get fired, as YSU does not have the money to do that, plus there are more pressing matters with the school looking for a new President. Slocum does not seem to me like someone who would resign, but with the way this season ended, one never knows. I think the more likely scenario is he finishes out his contract and then steps aside.

As for the game, I have noticed that most people love to focus on the final few plays of a game, no matter what the sport. A point I have been trying to make is there are several things that happened over the course of 45 minutes that led to the outcome. I though Kampe had cost Oakland the game when he got the technical with just over 3 minutes remaining. It gave YSU 2 FT's, and Weber made both giving YSU a 75-65 lead. Those were the last points YSU scored in regulation.

Less than a minute later, Amiker made a stupid play that cost him a T. Oakland missed both FT's, but got the ball and scored, cutting the lead to 6. YSU failed to score on the next possession, and then Oakland hit a 3. On the next YSU possession, Weber made a TO and then Amiker fouled Bader while he was shooting a 3point shot. Bader made all 3 shots, and the game was tied. One can blame the coaches from now to eternity. But, that technical is on Amiker. The turnover by Weber is on him, as is the fouling of Bader on a 3 point shot.

YSU digging themselves a huge hole to start the game did not help. Yes, they made up the deficit and went ahead by as many as 10 points, but that start was horrible. I'm just not big into blaming a player, a coach or looking at just 1 or 2 plays/possessions and saying that is what won or lost a game. Especially not in basketball.
I believe teams win as a team, and lose as a team. And, the coaching staff is part of the team. Also, I think Oakland deserves some credit for not mailing it in once Kampe got that technical. And, they had players off the bench step up when 2 starters fouled out.

YSU is what they are in mens basketball. Until such time as they are able to have at least 2 players on the roster in the 6'5" - 6'8" range with some muscle, who can contribute on both offense and defense, YSU will struggle to be more than a mid-level HL team, and be around .500 against D1 teams. I do not buy the argument that these type of players are not available. I'm not talking about a kid who is 6'9" or taller, with muscle and had a stellar high school career. Slocum and his staff have done a solid job of recruiting guards, and also with taller players that play away from the basket. But, with the exception of Jack Lyles(who was in Slocum's 1st recruiting class) and Eargle, the recruitment of players that can play the power forward or center in the HL has been very disappointing.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 06:56:20 AM by Lets_Talk »