Author Topic: KP DESERVES our support!  (Read 10145 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: KP DESERVES our support!
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 03:12:14 PM »
I do not agree. You can argue how much time it took to get where we are now ...but we are there. The thought of losing Slocum has never entered my mind. I have seen too many other coaches try and fail to get where we are now. They did not do it at this level of conference either.

You act like a coach does not know what is, or is not, working. Do you think he is just going to come out and "throw his players under the bus". Then to hear you talk about Wolf as some great recruiter? Have not seen it yet. Again last year, Wolf's best players were his predecessor's. Yet there was only a handful. Even if he did ...it is much easier to hide a few players, that do not work out, amongst 100 on the sidelines of Stambaugh than it is to hide them among 20 in Beeghly.

So am I disappointing about this season in basketball? Sure, but this is only because we know what our players are capable of.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 03:47:55 PM »
Slocum had a problem at the 4 position this year.   Belin did not produce the scoring and rebounding and his play was better last season than his senior year.  He fell in love with the 3 ball which he jacked up too unsuccessful rather than being a post banger that YSU needed this season.    Next season with the exception of Hain YSU will have the same problem since no one on the roster has the build to help on the low post.   Not sure if there are any more scholarships left but we really need a big from the JUCOS that can step in and help Hain.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2014, 05:12:04 PM »
To compare the track and cross country teams to football and basketball is crazy...... Look at the teams competing in the YSU track invites.  They are DII teams and YSU is not running the table...... Nothing against them but not a fair comparison...... 

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 07:53:54 PM »
goodnews,

You might have missed what happened this past weekend.  In track and field, the conference championships are everything.  The meets during the season are mere practice sessions.  The women won the conference meet big time, adding to their cross country title in the fall.  The men finished a close second yesterday, also adding to their second place finish in cross country.  Without Gorby, we would win nothing in the Horizon League.  My point is that this guy, recruiting under the same terms but with less money than the revenue sports teams, attracts athletes that can compete for titles at the CONFERENCE level.  Is that not what we are asking from our football and basketball coaches?

Lets_Talk

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2014, 05:45:55 AM »
Brian Gorby has done an outstanding job as HC. And, to be honest, I do not know why he has stayed at YSU for so long. He could be coaching at schools with better facilities, that compete at a much higher level and where the pay is significantly better than at YSU.

I do not think it is fair to Slocum and Wolford to compare their recruiting and program success with that of track and field or cross country. YSU has had a high level of succes under Gorby in the Mid-Con, and that continued once YSU joined the HL. But, the quality of CC and Track & Field in the HL is not even close to the quality of competition for men's basketball or womens basketball. This is not a slight on the student-athletes in the Track and CC programs at YSU. It is just pointing out a fact.

The HL is routinely one of the 12-14 best conferences in D1 for mens basketball. In football, YSU plays in arguably the best FCS Conference, and a conference which can give the bottom 2 or 3 FBS conferences a run for their money. For Track and CC, the HL is near the bottom of the pack for D1 Conferences. In some events, the times run to win events in the HL Meet would not be good enough to win HIGH SCHOOL meets at which the top programs and athletes compete. For that matter, the winning times, jumps and distances would not even be good enough to win some High School State track meets.

This is a link to one of the best sites for finding results of track meets, be they high school, college or higher. If you compare the HL results with the results in other NCAA D1 Conferences and with the top results from high school, one will see why the comparison with basketball and football at YSU is comparing "apples to oranges"

http://www.runnerspace.com/ (main site)
http://www.runnerspace.com/gprofile.php?mgroup_id=44531 (high school page)

« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 05:47:36 AM by Lets_Talk »

Lets_Talk

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2014, 06:16:41 AM »
 I know this thread was originally about KP, but it evolved into a discussion about the recruiting done by Slocum, Wolford and Gorby, as well as, the performance of the teams each coaches. So, I'm trying to add some context, in order for people to better understand why it is unfair and even unreasonable to compare YSU football and basketball with CC and track.

Some comparisons between the best of the HL 2014, and best of US HIGH SCHOOLS 2014:

Winning time in mens 60 meters at HL meet was 6.94....HL Meet record record is 6.81 and WATTS record 6.78
Top HIGH SCHOOL time this indoor season is 6.70 ... 6.81 would be good for a tie 6th best time this year... the winning time of 6.94 would rank tied for 33rd in the country.

Carl Zallow from Warren JFK has run 6.91 this year. Malcom Johnson of Sylvania Southview has run 6.76...David Hatchett of Westerville Central has the best time in Ohio at 6.88..Shaun Crawford of St. Edwards has run 6.93. He is a JUNIOR. The other 3 from Ohio are Seniors. So, that is 4 high school athletes in Ohio with faster times than the HL Champion.

Winning time for the women was 7.41, a new HL and WATTS record. The fastest time for HIGH SCHOOL girls this season is 7.31. Second best is 7.35. The new WATTS and HL record would be good enough for 3rd best HIGH SCHOOL time this indoor season.

Ciarra Jarrett of YSU won the womens 200 meters in a time of 24.61. She owns the HL Meet record of 24.48 ... the 24.61 would be the 18th best HIGH SCHOOL time this year. The HL record of 24.48 is good enough for 11th best.

21.68 by a kid from Oakland was winning time in mens 200 meters. HL record is 21.45... Top HIGH SCHOOL time this year is 21.34. Running 21.68 is good enough for 6th best, while the HL record is good enough for 2nd best. But, we are talking about HIGH SCHOOL times for 2014.

High Jump winner in womens meet was 1.69 meters, which translates to 5'6 3/4". The best HIGH SCHOOL jump this year is 5'10" which translates to 1.78 meters. The HL Meet record is 1.73m, and was set in 1995

Mens winner jumped 2.10m, or 6'10 3/4" .... Top boys HIGH SCHHOL jump this year is 7'2", and 6 boys have jumped 6'11" or higher. 10 boys have jumped at least 6'10"

I will stop now, as people that wish to compare HL results to the best in high school or other college conference meets have the links to do so themselves.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 06:37:48 AM by Lets_Talk »

Lets_Talk

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2014, 06:36:28 AM »
Last post, except to respond to somebody that posts after me. Here is a link to the NCAA team rankings. Very good site, as it ranks all of the teams. I will give the main link, and then the link for the week of March 4th. The ranking system is explained on the site. In short, a team earns points based on individual team members national rankings in each event. For indoor rankings, an individual must be in the top 35 of their event to score points for the ranking.

YSU men in the March 4th rankings were ranked 71 out of the 139 programs rating high enough to be included in the rankings. YSU is only HL team to make the rankings. Akron is 18th, KENT 41st, Buffalo 48th, EMU 62nd, CMU 86th

YSU women are not in the rankings. A total of 131 teams are ranked. Only HL team is UWM at 121...Akron is 30th, KENT 31st, EMU 58th, BG 107th

For the Great Lakes Region, YSU men are 15th. Wisconsin is #1, and Akron #2, KSU is 6th, EMU 8th, CMU 12th, UWM 14th

YSU women are 24th. .. KENT is 6th, Akron is 7th, EMU 11th, WMU 12th, BG 14th, CMU 16th, Toledo 18th, Miami 19th, OU 20th, Ball State 22nd, UWM 23, Valpo 25, Detroit 26th, WSU 29th

The MAC teams were included since so many people keep harping on YSU joining the MAC.

http://www.ustfccca.org/team-rankings-polls-central/division-i-rankings
http://www.ustfccca.org/assets/rankings/div1/2014-itf/DI_2014_indWk6_TF_NationalRankingsByTeam.pdf
http://www.ustfccca.org/assets/rankings/div1/2014-itf/DI_2014_indWk6_TF_RegionalIndexByTeam.pdf
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 06:55:08 AM by Lets_Talk »

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2014, 07:19:53 AM »
it only continues   to make my point -- 3rd rate athletic dept. overall.    Poor to very poor.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2014, 08:17:06 AM »
it only continues   to make my point -- 3rd rate athletic dept. overall.    Poor to very poor.

It only continues to prove my point 3rd-rate fan overall. Poor to very poor.