Author Topic: YSU vs. UIC  (Read 18463 times)

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU vs. UIC
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2014, 09:44:22 AM »
If we accept 5-7 in a down Horizon League as fans then we got problems.  The metality of this is all we are capable of doing is a poor excuse.  The Mahoning Valley has been though a lot over the years and the defeated attitude of the valley is evident in how we accept poor sports at YSU.   Unless we change our attitudes and our expectations  we can expect simular poor results.   Accepting this baskeball garbage and bragging that we defended our turf against a 5-21 team says it all.   

ValleyTalk

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2014, 09:53:45 AM »
YSU is in a three-way tie for sixth in the league standings with Oakland and Detroit and is just one game behind fourth-place Milwaukee.

I'll take it... Especially knowing we've lost three games in the league by 1 (Oakland), 2 (Detroit), and 3 (Valpo). Still in the thick of things in terms of getting a home game in the tourney.

Must win Thursday.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2014, 01:19:28 PM »
Good Luck with that one!  Especially as bad as we played the last three games.  As to we won, and we were supposed to.  We were supposed to beat APU, Miss KC, Detroit on the road and Valpo at home.  More losses coming! Barely getting by a 5-21 team at home is not cause for celebration when we were projected third in the league.  If you want just barely average or worse, well, you got it!  The talent on this team was wasted this season.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2014, 01:38:02 PM »
More losses coming! Barely getting by a 5-21 team at home is not cause for celebration when we were projected third in the league.
If we are talking facts, perhaps research them in advance:

Horizon League Preseason Rankings
Rank   School (1st)   Points
1.   Green Bay (21)   390
2.   Wright State (22)   389
3.   Cleveland State (2)   338
4.   Oakland (1)   258
5.   Youngstown State (1)   219
6.   Valparaiso   205
7.   UIC   151
8.   Detroit   141
9.   Milwaukee   

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2014, 01:39:09 PM »
Rememember, most of our games we're nice leads in the second half.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2014, 01:57:02 PM »
Third by Sporting News, research your facts!   I buy the magazines every year!  Both of us are right depending on what you research!I don;t only followYSU, though I graduated from there.  If I was going by the Horizon League pre-season rankings, I would have had Valpo. Cleveland St., Milw GB, Oakland based on schedule, Milw. all ahead of us.   Sixth, right were we are, my point will always be, we blow nice leads in games at home. lose to chumps like Missouri KC, and brag about  beating the Westminsters, Thiel's  and Geneva's of the world.  While Oakland is playing UNC, Cal, and Mich State on the road preparing for league play.  We play Fredonia St., beat them, then the PR Department acts like we done something monumental. Granted I thought we played UMASS, St. John's and Pitt tough as we could, but to follow those up with losses to APU at home and Misouri KC on the road is not good.  It's called inconsistency.  So if you like average, you got it, and always will, unless the administration, and powers that be take more interest in the basketball program.  Football will always be king at YSU, but I don't see YSU winning many more that 7 or 8 games a year.  The rest of the FCS has caught and passed YSU.  Our problem is still the defensive side of the ball.  Ask Denver about that, good defense wins.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2014, 04:05:18 PM »
I was going to wait until after the season to bring up these two points, but now seems like as good a time as any.  First, we have been bad in basketball for nearly three full decades.  Sure, Dan Peters had a few competitive teams in a weak league, and Slocum had two competitive teams when Eargle decided to come home (and thus played with Perry,) but otherwise it has been a tale of consistent losing.  Perhaps we should recognize that we will never win in men's hoops, operate the program with minimal resources, and divert funds to sports that can actually be successful.  Track and Field comes immediately to mind.

Second, I don't call for Slocum's dismissal.  He inherited a terrible mess and has produced results that range from average to below average.  Am I happy with mediocrity?  Absolutely not as I departed the gym yesterday right after the women's game.  But I believe that a new coach could make things worse....maybe much worse.  What quality coach would come here considering the budget restraints and the football culture?  Where would more funding come from in a climate where the state of Ohio spends more on amenities for the lowlife trash in our prisons than they do on education for our college students.

I could live with good football, good women's basketball and good track and field.  Not that I can see the good football part anywhere over the horizon.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2014, 04:17:19 PM »
UIC had lost 14 straight games coming into the game.... And we beat them by 3. They are a bad team, facts are facts.... Wick, to your point. I think bringing in a young, hungry head coach could do wonders for the program. Ya know, somebody who is actually energetic about the program, like Boldon was and Barnes is right now for the women's program. Slocum needs to go, plain and simple. I mean realistically how much longer is he gonna coach for? It's time for some new blood for the men's program.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2014, 04:19:37 PM »
Oakland blows it in a big way down the stretch vs. Wright State. Now YSU and Detroit tied for 6th. UIC and Detroit duke it out Tuesday.

Offline ELPENGUIN

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2014, 09:01:03 PM »
0505 Coach will retire at YSU when he is ready to.  0505 do you have the money to pay some young hot assistant, if so how about sending a check to YSU then.
"They have scalelike barbless feathers, flipperlike wings, and webbed feet and by the way also excellent athletic teams"

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2014, 10:16:18 PM »
0505 Coach will retire at YSU when he is ready to.  0505 do you have the money to pay some young hot assistant, if so how about sending a check to YSU then.

If the seats were all full every game, no one would have to send in a check, just saying!
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2014, 02:38:43 PM »
UIC had lost 14 straight games coming into the game.... And we beat them by 3. They are a bad team, facts are facts.... Wick, to your point. I think bringing in a young, hungry head coach could do wonders for the program. Ya know, somebody who is actually energetic about the program, like Boldon was and Barnes is right now for the women's program. Slocum needs to go, plain and simple. I mean realistically how much longer is he gonna coach for? It's time for some new blood for the men's program.

I call BS in a big way. All you, Ray and Paladin want to do is seize everything as a thread for Slocum or Strollo bashing. Do you guys know how old that gets? Stay with one thread an leave it there. Stop destroying good thread with the same old crap. What would a new coach, that does not hang around for 10-years first, be able to do? N-O-T-H-I-N-G! Slocum should stay as long as he wants to and I hope it is for some time to come. Strollo is the top AD this school as ever had ...with no close second. Some coaching hires work out & some do not. However when they are in the sports of football or basketball, results are magnified. You need to realize that YSU has really only had AD's since 1985. You also need to realize that the AD has almost nothing to do with a coaching hire.

All of you should be required to attend an athletic board meeting and you will see how things work. Then you would have a whole new respect for Strollo. I went to almost every one meeting about 1987 well into the 1990's, over two different AD's. There are powerful individuals in place from inside and outside of the university making decisions. Do you realize that almost every faculty member that sits on that board is too dumb to realize what sports mean to YSU and they have enough power to sway decisions? They would rather have no athletics and spend all monies on academics. They do not realize that it would be no more $$$ than they get now. If not less in the way of funds because our school would be directly controlled by the government's budgetary constraints. Without sports, there would be no additional or discretionary funds to allocate. We would still be a school about the size of Jones Hall educating mobsters sons to be lawyers. People like Strollo lend this school a sense of credibility in a sports-world dominated by the "haves". Schools that are either big in sports, or big in academics ...or both. In this world, we are a "have-not" ...sorry to burst your bubbles.

As to Slocum, this is our first DI coach that has been able to put teams together ...not hope for a good streak as a DI team. We experience issues on a team that other schools have been dealing with for years. Mainly enough talent to have more than 5 players want to play and more than 5 players that can play. Big deal ...what a great problem to have? Like Indy says ...you people add nothing to the conversation. If you did not watch the UIC game then why post in this thread other than to ask opinions of those that did? I admit that I only saw the first 6-minutes and the OT. Everyone gets upset when we are losing, but "trashing" the program just chases everyone away. Go out and find others to participate on the board is a better use of your time ...Do you guys want to just start banning people? There is a difference between voicing an opinion and bashing.

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2014, 03:24:38 PM »
1AA, you are up to your eyeballs in BS. All you do is seize everything as a thread to praise heacock, strollo and slocum. Three guys who have done nothing for ysu. It is people like you that hurt ysu athletics. You must enjoy being a loser. You point your finger at people like me that tell the truth. While you go around telling lies and refuse to live in reality. Whats that make you?

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2014, 11:06:02 PM »
First of all, i attend mostly every single game and if i cant, i watch on tv so I know exactly what i'm talking about. I just don't stand for mediocrity, and that's what Slocum is giving this program and the fans. Get real, he is a life long D2 coach. Strollo I don't have any dislike for, but Slocum. Anybody who supports him being the coach for years to come must be happy with mediocre basketball because that's what your going to get... Ok end of rant

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2014, 06:50:01 AM »
1AA, you are up to your eyeballs in BS. All you do is seize everything as a thread to praise heacock, strollo and slocum. Three guys who have done nothing for ysu. It is people like you that hurt ysu athletics. You must enjoy being a loser. You point your finger at people like me that tell the truth. While you go around telling lies and refuse to live in reality. Whats that make you?

A fan.