Author Topic: Basketball Scheduling: Can It Get More Stupid Than This?  (Read 19674 times)

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Basketball Scheduling: Can It Get More Stupid Than This?
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2013, 10:17:35 AM »
We're almost a full 24 hours from the game and Dick250 is nowhere to be found
"Make no mistake, MSU is not going to be a top half of the Big 10 team. They are lower half. That O of theirs is due to be manhandled." - paladin

"Hunter Wells isn't ready next year for D-I football" - paladin

Hunter Wells Stat Tracker: 17/23 303 yds, 4TDs, 242.0 QB Rating

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2013, 10:23:36 AM »
OK JJ, you wanted my response so here it is.  I find it amusing that a 34 year old fan could question my loyalty to the university.  I just completed 40 years of perfect attendance at home football games.  My streak at basketball would have extended back into the 1960s if adult responsibilities had not interfered on several occasions.  Furthermore, I attend our Olympic sports regularly, even those sports that I don't like very much.  Counting those Olympic sports, there is nobody that attends more YSU athletic events in a year than I do.  Nobody.

Your problem is that you have a warped definition of loyalty.  You equate it with being a cheerleader, supporting any policy from the leadership without question.  There is a label for that in American sports; it is called being a Cub fan.  You have evaded the central thesis of my original post: that YSU sports has become irrelevant in the community.  True, loyal YSU fans are aware of this unwelcome condition.  They have offered their remedies.  Mine is the replacement of the entire management team.  If you have a better idea, let's hear it.  But denying that the crisis exists contributes nothing.  The empty seats in the gym and in the stadium call for more than cheerleading.

What business experience do you have Wick? Because your theory of firing every decision makes, is widely agreed upon to be the dumbest business decision a person or organization could possibly make. It's literally one of the first lessons we learned in my M.B.A. program. So when you say things like this, it just makes you sound so stupid.

This notion that you keep saying that YSU sports is irrelevant is ridiculous as well. I have no idea what your status is, but judging by your comments on this board, (hopefully) you're not in decision making role with a large business. Now I am. I travel all throughout the United States for work, and do a good bit of business in the area. When I'm traveling, I get stopped by people all the times asking me about my YSU shirt I'm wearing at the airport etc. I can't tell you how many times people with no interest in YSU has asked about Kendrick Perry and if he's the "real deal".

The notion that no body cares in Youngstown is as ridiculous as the comment you made about overhauling everyone in management. I buy a lot of season tickets for basketball and own a suite for football. I get multiple requests weekly for football and basketball tickets.

Your problem is you sit on an island in Youngstown (or other community in the Valley) and never venture out. You think if you post 1,200 times on a message board and a person more delusional than you agrees with it, it's the gospel.

Now have fun at the YSU game tomorrow. I'm going to be in a suite at the Browns / Steelers game. :)

On TV, financially successful people are generally stereotyped as d-bags.  IRL, in my experience, they are the kindest and most humble people I have ever met.  I'm referring to people who are rich by rich people's standards.

When I see boastfulness and arrogance, I see ignorance and insecurity 100% of the time.

Becoming spiteful about about a differing opinion (especially regarding college sports) reveals immaturity.

We're almost a full 24 hours from the game and Dick250 is nowhere to be found

Proving Penguin Nation's point.

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2013, 12:38:07 PM »
LOL I just will never for the life of me understand why people like Wick and Paladin hide behind a user name and only post when we lose
"Make no mistake, MSU is not going to be a top half of the Big 10 team. They are lower half. That O of theirs is due to be manhandled." - paladin

Lets_Talk

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2013, 04:10:30 PM »
Slocum is a much better coach than alot of people give him credit. Is he Rick Pitino? No. But, he also does not have the resources, facilities or players Pitino has at Louisville.

I had a friend who went to Geneva College in the early 90's, and he ran the shot clock for the basketball games. Saw several Geneva games when Slocum was coach, and used to wish that he would be hired by YSU. This was back during the Stroia days at YSU. And, I truly believe his teams at Geneva could have beaten YSU at that time, or at least given YSU a very good game. This is when YSU was annually one of the 20 or so worst teams in D1.

To anyone that thinks the reason Slocum has amassed so many wins is because of how long he has coached, of course that is part of the reason. But, it is much more than that.

38 years as an HC - 9th year at YSU ...27 winning seasons...19 seasons with at least 20 wins
Record by school:
NYACK(12 years) 199-166
GENEVA(9 years) 203-80
GANNON(9 years) 179-78
YSU(8+ seasons) 101-158

He has YSU at a level where they are very competitive in the HL. It is no longer a shock if the team wins multiple games in a season on the road. Is YSU at the top of the HL, or where alot of fans would like them to be in terms of winning? No. But, YSU is getting maximum value for what the school puts in to it's basketball program.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 06:30:51 PM by Lets_Talk »

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2014, 12:09:04 PM »
Great post. Couldn't have said it any better myself.

MIA for the last week has been Dick250. Kinda nice.