Author Topic: Shar'Rae Davis out for awhile  (Read 4713 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Shar'Rae Davis out for awhile
« on: November 11, 2013, 03:49:46 PM »
Saw Dana Balash tweet out that Coach Barnes said Davis is out until at least mid January with "medical issues". She is not even in school right now. She's back home. Gonna be a big loss because we have no point guard but I hope she gets everything squared away and is healthy!!

Spiderlegs

Re: Shar'Rae Davis out for awhile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 04:24:06 PM »
Yes, but the VCU game should not have turned out as bad as it did. The guards (Hornberger, Hirsh) generally made some bad judgments, and during the first half, they weren't helped much by their teammates who just stood there and waited for the ball to come to them, making it easy for VCU to intercept passes. The second half was better once there was motion in the wings. Even if this were fixed, there were lots of issues besides guard play--not boxing out on rebounds and opponents running circles (literally) around the defense.

I think this team is going to be fine, but it may take a while to get everything right.  The players have not fully adjusted yet to the new system--there were times on Saturday that I thought I was watching the old Boldon offense rather than the new Barnes one. Hornberger is a shooting guard, not a point guard, but was obviously in the role because no one else could fill it. Hirsch is a freshman in her first D-I game. Barnes doesn't seem to be the kind of coach to tolerate repeat mistakes. Lots of potential in the post.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 05:35:51 PM »
There were four guards not even dressed for the VCU game.  Davis and the transfer that suffered the ACL injury in the summer, plus Touvelle and Barger.  That left us with little outside shooting (1 for 15 from behind the arc) and even less ball-handling.  Suddenly, prospects for the year look rather hopeless.  Anybody know the nature of the injuries to Touvelle and Barger?

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 06:02:39 PM »
Touvelle had a boot on her foot. Don't know the extent but doesnt look good.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 08:41:49 PM »
Touvelle should be back sometime in December. Barger's status is more murky.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 05:22:42 PM »
Found out why Shar'Rae has been out.... She was diagnosed with Severe Colitis, will be out for the whole season on a medical leave of absence. Apparently, she was taken to the hospital and the doctors told her they rate all ER patents when they come 1-6, with 6 being DOA... Davis was rated a 5 she was that bad. Lost about 20 pounds, couldn't eat a solid meal for about 2 weeks. God bless her and here's to a speedy recovery!!

Lets_Talk

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 10:13:16 PM »
Thanks for the update. Forget basketball, I wish Shar'Rae the best in her recovery. Being able to eventually return to playing basketball will be icing on the cake, given what you have described about her condition.