Author Topic: Men's Basketball tonight Austin Peay at Youngstown State  (Read 32677 times)

Lets_Talk

Re: Men's Basketball tonight Austin Peay at Youngstown State
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2013, 03:53:54 PM »
IP,

I like the comparison of Wolford and Slocum. And, while some will say YSU bought their way into last years post-season tournament, at least they had a good enough team to make said tournament.

As you know, YSU bought several home football playoff games in the 90's. For all we know, they may have even bought their way into the 91 playoffs, by being able to make a large $$$$$ bid for the first round game against Villanova. Based solely on the regular season, Nova deserved to host that game. And, in 92, NOVA was again jobbed by the selection committee when sent to play YSU in the first round.

At least back then, YSU had a playoff quality football team, not like what they have now with a HC who has pretty much been given everything and anything he wants/needs to have a top quality FCS program.

Slocum is far from perfect as an HC, and I'm no fan of the OOC home schedule the team plays. Also find it ridiculous YSU has never beat Robert Morris or Akron under Slocum, and only has 1 win over KENT. That being said, YSU is no longer a laughing stock in basketball, and they are a legitimate top 4 team in the HL. Not sure one can ask for much more given the piddly budget, and lack of support from the school administration(people much higher than Ron Strollo)

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2013, 04:10:15 PM »
Good comments "Lets Talk"; that's the way it was - Akron and YSU were the only two northern schools in the OVC. When Akron left, there was a traveling concern with the other OVC schools and YSU expected to get accepted with Akron in the MAC. That didn't happen so we were independent for many years.

As I stated previously, we somehow we must get into the FBS or watch the continued decay of attendance. The MAC is were we belong, but not having the money to fund football at that level nor the support of MAC university presidents puts us in major predicament for recruiting and future fan support. So we have the MVCF and must be NO.1 or No.2 to get into the playoffs.

I believe NDSU and SDSU will be going into the FBS in the next couple of years, this will give us a chance. 

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2013, 04:58:42 PM »
The YSU athletic program has no money. Plain and simple lol

Lets_Talk

« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2013, 06:22:38 PM »
YSU likely had the best chance they are going to get for joining the MAC back in 1995.

HL is a very good league for basketball and volleyball. It is also a league where YSU can be competitive in most of the Olympic Sports. But, the HL does not have football. Like it or not, MVFC is the best place for YSU. And, winning just one more game each of the last 3 years, and alot of the complaining about the MVFC would be diminished. YSU drew quite well the first 5-6 years in the MVC, including the largest crowd ever in 2000 against UNI. Of course, YSU went 13-2 and won an NC in 97, went 12-3 and advanced to the NC in 99, and finished 9-3 and made the playoffs in 2000

As for NDSU and SDSU, not so sure moving to FBS makes much sense. Right now, they are big fish in a small pond. Moving to FBS will make them little fish in a big pond. I can understand the attraction, but the jump from FCS to FBS does not work out all that well for most schools. Everyone likes to talk about Boise, but they are the exception to the rule. Other schools have had limited success at FBS level, but nothing special.

Nevada has had some success, but no BCS Bowls. Same with Marshall. Some success, but no major bowls. Idaho, Troy, WKU, MTSU, FIU, FAU, Buffalo, Texas State, Louisiana Lafayette and LA-Monroe, UMASS. All of these schools are in non AQ BCS Conferences. And, starting next year, they will all be in conferences without tie-in's to any of the major bowls. Even Boise is in the Mountain West, a non AQ Conference. And, many of these schools had alot of success in FCS, and I'd doubt any of them other than Boise come close to turning a profit in football. I've watched a few Marshall games this year, and they do not draw any better than when playing FCS, even though the team is going to be playing in the C-USA Title game.

Buffalo and BG played this past weekend at Buffalo Bills stadium, with the winner going to the MAC Title game. Announced crowd was 2,622.

UCONN is in the AAC, but they started football specifically to jump to FBS. Central Florida is also in the AAC, and may win the AQ to a BCS Bowl this year. So, what conference would SDSU or NDSU join? The WAC no longer has football, so their only real choice is the Mountain West. Neither of these schools are getting into the PAC 12 or Big 12

« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 06:25:23 PM by Lets_Talk »

Offline axiom

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2013, 07:57:53 PM »
How is the HL a "very good league" for volleyball?

ValleyTalk

« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2013, 09:45:23 PM »
Wasn't pretty late, but a much needed win for this team and the first over RMU in 12 years. Now we need to go to Kansas City and beat up on UMKC.

YSU had 23 assists and just 3 turnovers. That is a thing of beauty, especially with that full court press in the second half.

Good win YSU! Love seeing the flow of this offense!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2013, 09:49:55 PM »
Wasn't pretty late, but a much needed win for this team and the first over RMU in 12 years. Now we need to go to Kansas City and beat up on UMKC.

YSU had 23 assists and just 3 turnovers. That is a thing of beauty, especially with that full court press in the second half.

Good win YSU! Love seeing the flow of this offense!

Defense is bad though. Very very bad. Robert Morris never shoulda been in that game!!

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2013, 10:23:05 PM »
Did not close the game out well!  Must close halves better!

ValleyTalk

« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2013, 10:42:44 PM »
Did not close the game out well!  Must close halves better!
KP was off at the line tonight, which was a huge reason that lead dwindled so quickly. Still won by 8 over a team we haven't beat since 2001. I'll take it.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2013, 11:56:39 PM »
IP,

I like the comparison of Wolford and Slocum. And, while some will say YSU bought their way into last years post-season tournament, at least they had a good enough team to make said tournament.

As you know, YSU bought several home football playoff games in the 90's. For all we know, they may have even bought their way into the 91 playoffs, by being able to make a large $$$$$ bid for the first round game against Villanova. Based solely on the regular season, Nova deserved to host that game. And, in 92, NOVA was again jobbed by the selection committee when sent to play YSU in the first round.

At least back then, YSU had a playoff quality football team, not like what they have now with a HC who has pretty much been given everything and anything he wants/needs to have a top quality FCS program.

Slocum is far from perfect as an HC, and I'm no fan of the OOC home schedule the team plays. Also find it ridiculous YSU has never beat Robert Morris or Akron under Slocum, and only has 1 win over KENT. That being said, YSU is no longer a laughing stock in basketball, and they are a legitimate top 4 team in the HL. Not sure one can ask for much more given the piddly budget, and lack of support from the school administration(people much higher than Ron Strollo)
Talk--the OOC schedule is the hardest thing the coaches go through every year. Unless they play a couple of non-D1's, they're going to play almost all road games. People want paid to come here, and we just don't pay out anything. One of the reasons they got in the Kennesaw tournament was they agreed to come here next year. Going to UMKC Sat so DJ Cole can play near home and they'll come here next year. Kent does home and home, but Akron wants to only play 2 for 1. Now that we are decent, people don't want to play here without a big financial guarantee and it isn't going to happen. Were able to add South Dakota late this summer by agreeing to go there next year. Believe me, they contact everybody. And hey, we finally beat Bobby Morris!!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2013, 12:09:17 AM »
This basketball team can really score!! Offense is definitely not a problem, but defensively, it's still a work in progress. Having DJ back healthy helped also. Played very well.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2013, 12:59:38 AM »
This basketball team can really score!! Offense is definitely not a problem, but defensively, it's still a work in progress. Having DJ back healthy helped also. Played very well.
Good point. DJ plays excellent point defense. Would not have lost to Austin Peay had he played. Their point guard penetration hurt us badly in that game and Keene is not ready to stop that yet. Hain needs to stay out of foul trouble as well.

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2013, 09:26:44 AM »
Lets talk, If I am not mistaken YSU has beaten Akron once under Slocum. It was the same season they beat Kent St. It was several years ago.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2013, 02:14:29 PM »
Talk: You make some good points, but UConn is a founding member of the Yankee conference & has played football since the 1800's. Heck it was Rughby back then. They moved up to I-AA when the conference did so back in 1977/78. We did the same with the OVC.

In all honesty, very few teams have success at any level of football. The MAC contacted YSu almost every year to join ...it is just in case they lose someone. I would bet they still do that, but I am not involved anymore to know. The MAC offers many things, most of which benefit the regular season (TV coverage and local rivals). I think by now everyone knows that it was Marshall that kept us out of the MAC ...it was just easy to have the two schools closest to YSU cast the "no" votes. There was no way in the world that Marshall was going to allow YSU to join at the same time & Marshall was a legacy team with twice our attendance each week. An obvious choice for the MAC to make.

Slocum is a true coach & I think he has brought the program to a good level ...and has earned the right to do as he pleases. We don't need another Narduzzi incident.

Nova had every opportunity to play home games, it just that they have to place a higher bid than we did, and promise better attendance.  Also, I am not as involved as I used to be in I-AA, but in 91 they (Nova) tied for the conference crown with UD ...and lost to UD in the regular season ...so they were not a conference autobid. In 1992 they did not win the Yankee either. So I really do not think we can say they deserved the home game. YSU did not belong to a conference, or you are right ...we might not have had the home game. It was simply a case involving two non-conference autos and the highest $$$ wins (AKA YSU). In our defense, we went 2-0-1 against IA teams in 1992. In 1991, we had to travel to Reno to play Nevada, as they were an autobid.

We would have had a home game if we won one more game this year as well. Strollo makes it abundantly clear that we will pay top-dollar & sell tickets.

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2013, 03:34:33 PM »
who cares anymore what conferences or divisions our teams play in and if we are good or not? we will always find something to complain about anyway and no matter how much we complain we will still love our mighty guins.

GOOOOOO GUINS!!!!