Author Topic: Men's Basketball tonight Austin Peay at Youngstown State  (Read 33117 times)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Men's Basketball tonight Austin Peay at Youngstown State
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2013, 02:25:15 PM »
Athletic departments are the only capitalistic, free enterprise oriented components of American universities.  Athletic directors and coaches are fired every year over won-lost records, dwindling gate receipts, and disaffection among alumni and in the community.  Is that fair?  No, but it is the nature of the beast.  New university presidents frequently change athletic directors and some academic deans within three years into their tenure.  So Strollo's fate will rest in the hands of Randy Dunn.  If he is satisfied and wants Strollo on his "team," he will be retained.  If Dunn is unhappy, Strollo will be terminated.  No amount of posts on this site in support of Strollo or in condemnation of Strollo will impact that decision.  That is the nature of the beast.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2013, 04:51:24 PM »
Strollo needs to put more money into the basketball program. Period.
Just goes to show you what you know. Strollo does not determine how much money goes into any program, the board of trustees does. And they have made it very clear that basketball is not a priority. Strollo would love to pour more money into the program--it isn't there. The new president  comes from a "basketball" school (Murray St) and word is that he'd like to upgrade the basketball program. But with the budget crunch facing the University as we speak, if the money wasn't there before, I don't know where it's going to come from now. Where Strollo stuck his neck out financially before the budget got too bad was for your boy Wolford, who to this point has been a poor investment.

Spiderlegs

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2013, 09:08:30 PM »
To add to the budget crunch issue, what I hear is that Dunn didn't do himself any favors with the faculty and staff this year by allowing athletics to increase its budget while telling everyone else to tighten their belts, which included some layoffs. 

Lets_Talk

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2013, 11:41:51 PM »
power and Ray,

I agree stepping down for football makes no sense. My comments were in regards to the discussion about going Indy in football. One or more people suggested joining the NEC for football only as a way to make the playoffs every year. Well, I think that is running away from playing in a quality conference. And, if YSU were to join the NEC for football, why should they get to use the max scholarships?

Bringing this back to basketball and also incorporating football, my honest opinion is people just want to see a team that wins. Especially in football. It was just throwing something out there, as a way to have a playoff football team, still have 7 home games, and also have more money for basketball. And, it was based on ideas other's had been tossing around. Also, whether people like it or not, most people have no clue that the NEC is not a full scholarship FCS conference. Heck, most people think FCS is D2.

As for the others talking about Strollo needing to put more money into basketball, IT IS NOT HIS CALL!!!!!! Trust me, he has asked and asked and asked. I know, because I have spoken to him personally. The Admin at YSU is NOT interested in putting more money into basketball. They think things are fine the way they are. This may or may not change with the new Pres, but under Anderson, both she and the Board thought things were just fine with basketball.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 11:45:39 PM by Lets_Talk »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2013, 12:51:23 AM »
Strollo needs to put more money into the basketball program. Period.
Just goes to show you what you know. Strollo does not determine how much money goes into any program, the board of trustees does. And they have made it very clear that basketball is not a priority. Strollo would love to pour more money into the program--it isn't there. The new president  comes from a "basketball" school (Murray St) and word is that he'd like to upgrade the basketball program. But with the budget crunch facing the University as we speak, if the money wasn't there before, I don't know where it's going to come from now. Where Strollo stuck his neck out financially before the budget got too bad was for your boy Wolford, who to this point has been a poor investment.

Lol maybe if Heacock didn't destroy the football program, it wouldn't have to take Wolf 5 years to rebuild it... Which he's doing. Keep supporting your boy Slocum and his mediocrity. Was nice for Jerry winning in D2, time to step it up. He's had too many years. If Strollo can't do anything, then maybe he should not be in the position he's in now.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2013, 02:06:58 AM »
A few things:

NEC makes no sense at all. As we drop down, so will our talent. We do not have the academics, so we will be probably be at the bottom of the NEC before long as well.

Winning is all that matters? So explain coach H's popularity. This is Youngstown. How you play the game is FAR more important than winning. Always has been, always will be. If W was playng ytown smash-mouth ball ...we would be complaining far less. They may beat us, but they are going to be carried off the field in the process of doing so.

YSU is a football school & I would not want it any other way. I don't think I am alone.

I respect coach Tressel as much as the next guy. However, let's be realistic. He left the OVC because he knew it would be impossible to finish at the top & the OVC was seldom going to be a 2-team conference. EKU was such a powerhouse. His hope was the MAC of course, but that did not pan out. His early 90's teams were quite different than his late 90's teams, including results. His change in 1996 from an option club ...to a pro-set ...was clearly a move to impress OSU. The only reason we won in 1997 was because we still had the majority of our team from the option teams the years prior & we played option teams from out west. In 1999, we did not have the option-experienced players left & we were blown out by an option GA Southern club ...ironically the team Tressel patterned YSU after. Sound familiar to his results against Meyer and UofF while at OSU? Right now. W is in the same boat. He does not have the style of a team that can match up with the traditional element that the Dakotas have brought back to the former Gateway. As I have said before, with this style of offense ...it will be hard to mold a tough defense. Good luck to him.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2013, 06:12:22 AM »
YSU left the OVC because Akron left when they moved their football program to 1A(now FBS). YSU and Akron were travel partners, and the only 2 Northern schools in the OVC. It had nothing to do with a fear of playing EKU in football, or any other sport for that matter.

The "YSU is a football school" is just one of the reasons YSU is of no interest to the MAC. In the MAC, ALL sports are emphasized, not just football. Why can't YSU be a school that is highly competitive in both football and basketball, along with several of the "Olympic Sports". One must the athletic department be relegated to being a "1 trick pony", especially when the football program is not much to brag about since moving to 1AA/FCS, outside of the Tressel years

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2013, 07:37:23 AM »
YSU left the OVC because Akron left when they moved their football program to 1A(now FBS). YSU and Akron were travel partners, and the only 2 Northern schools in the OVC. It had nothing to do with a fear of playing EKU in football, or any other sport for that matter.

The "YSU is a football school" is just one of the reasons YSU is of no interest to the MAC. In the MAC, ALL sports are emphasized, not just football. Why can't YSU be a school that is highly competitive in both football and basketball, along with several of the "Olympic Sports". One must the athletic department be relegated to being a "1 trick pony", especially when the football program is not much to brag about since moving to 1AA/FCS, outside of the Tressel years

Do not agree. I remember it like it was yesterday. Tressel knew we would not see the post-season as long as we stayed in the OVC. The strength of the conference had declined and the NCAA was not likely to give multiple bids to the play-off. They were only taking 8 teams at that point, but then they expanded to 10 and agreed to take and independent ...so we jumped. You may also remember that the MVC had kind of a hybrid going , with IA and I-AA teams. We continued to play Akron and Kent for years after Akron joined the MAC. The rule that MAC schools could not travel to I-AA schools came quite some time afterwards. Tressel developed a "system" to get into the post-season. The result was the addition of the strength of schedule component (AKA: the Tressel Rule) to the post-season. In fact most members of the NCAA openly called it that. He assumed we would move up, so he went independent. You are correct that it was his intention to play more local MAC programs & being I-AA independent helped. He further hoped to keep many of the OVC basketball rivalries in-tact. We really did not play Kent that much (in football) until we had the infamous "disagreement" with Akron.

I consider YSU far from a "1 trick pony" ...in fact, a move to the MAC is a step-down in many sports. Although that is changing, as the MAC is much improved. You think we built a soccer facility simply for women's soccer?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 07:54:54 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2013, 10:51:49 AM »
'05 you keep backing your boy Wolford and when, while breaking in a new QB next year, he fails to make the playoffs AGAIN, and is non-renewed and ridden out of town, maybe he can take you with him. Meanwhile Slocum, at less than HALF of the cost, put the basketball team in the post-season last year. Your move.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2013, 12:03:01 PM »
YSU BOUGHT ( $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) its way into the BB post season. Hardly newsworthy.

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2013, 12:43:41 PM »
That's right! Can anyone even remember  the name of that tournament???? That was a joke all the way around. Slocum and everyone was boasting that they made the postseason. I wonder who won that tournament???? What did they win a fruitcake??

They are so hard up they would probably agree to play in a ymca pick up league turnament then turn around and tout that as success. And speaking of wolford choking what about slocum choking that final game away in that tournament last season??? They blew something like a 22 or 23the point lead at home

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2013, 02:36:34 PM »
That's right! Can anyone even remember  the name of that tournament???? That was a joke all the way around. Slocum and everyone was boasting that they made the postseason. I wonder who won that tournament???? What did they win a fruitcake??

They are so hard up they would probably agree to play in a ymca pick up league turnament then turn around and tout that as success. And speaking of wolford choking what about slocum choking that final game away in that tournament last season??? They blew something like a 22 or 23the point lead at home

This is such a Youngstown type negative post it killllllsssssss me!
"Make no mistake, MSU is not going to be a top half of the Big 10 team. They are lower half. That O of theirs is due to be manhandled." - paladin

"Hunter Wells isn't ready next year for D-I football" - paladin

Hunter Wells Stat Tracker: 17/23 303 yds, 4TDs, 242.0 QB Rating

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2013, 02:37:30 PM »
YSU BOUGHT ( $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) its way into the BB post season. Hardly newsworthy.
Still have to qualify record wise Mr. Know it all

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2013, 03:00:03 PM »

This is such a Youngstown type negative post it killllllsssssss me!
You're right jj--this is a clown who makes fun of this but recently touted Ray "please line my pockets Mr Monus" Isaac as a YSU great!! Typical Youngstown louse. And watch Paladin walk around the tailgate lot hoping someone gives him some food. Pathetic. These are the people who we "listen" to!! Hilarious!!

Lets_Talk

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2013, 03:33:46 PM »
This is a thread about basketball, but it seems to have morphed into a discussion about football(which is ok). And, I guess I'm partly to blame ::)

1AA, you can believe what you want. YSU left the OVC when Akron announced they would be leaving the OVC to move to 1A/FBS in football. And, as for not being able to make the football playoffs in the OVC, that is garbage, because YSU won the OVC auto bid in 1987, their last year in the OVC.

As far as the fearing EKU, well, YSU beat EKU at EKU in the 89 playoffs then at EKU in the 93 regular season, and TWICE in 1994. First in the regular season, and then again in the playoffs. If Tressel feared EKU, why the heck would he schedule a home and home with EKU at a time when EKU was still very much relevant in the world of FCS/1AA football?

I will agree with you that the hope of both Akron and YSU at that point was likely future membership in the MAC. It worked out for Akron, but not for YSU.

As for the 99 Champ game, GSU was incredible that year. By far, the best team in 1AA/FCS in 99, and maybe one of the best ever at that level. YSU started Ryan at QB, and getting to the NC game was not expecting that year. Playoffs, yes, but not the NC game. The years for a return to the NC game were expected to be in 2000 and 2001. YSU made the playoffs in 00 and lost at Richmond in Tress's last game. And, in 01, no playoffs.

In 1998, GSU lost in the NC game to UMASS, their first and ONL loss of the season
In 99, GSU went 14-1, with the lone loss 48-41 at 1A/FBS Oregon State. They won all 4 playoff games by 11 or more points. Closest game was the semi-final win over Illinois State, 28-17, and ISU won the MVC/Gateway auto bid.. So, that was the middle of a 3 year run to the title game for GSU. In 2000, GSU finished 13-2 and beat Montana for 2nd straight NC, and 3rd straight trip to NC game. Adrian Peterson was an amazing RB for the FCS level, and ended up playing in the NFL. GSU was lethal with their triple-option offense and speed. It was the first of back-to-back NC's for GSU. And, their HC, Paul Johnson, went on to have a high level of success at Navy, and is now the HC at Georgia Tech. The fact YSU even got to the NC game that year is a testament to Tressel, his staff and the players.

As for YSU to the MAC, not likely. YSU does not have the $$$$$$$ resources. And, yes, I do think YSU built the soccer field for women's soccer and men's/women's track. YSU needed a track after WATTS was built, and it makes more sense for soccer to play on a regulation field at a facility built for soccer and track than in a 20,000+ seat football stadium. YSU does not even have the money to buy-out the final year of Wolford's contract, so how they heck is the school going to get the money to at least DOUBLE the athletic budget, just to get to the minimum MAC levels for athletic budgets?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 03:43:26 PM by Lets_Talk »