Author Topic: Scalzo Article  (Read 8645 times)

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Scalzo Article
« on: November 28, 2013, 09:43:55 AM »
Great article written by Joe Scalzo in today's vindicator about Wolford. Also see his football report card.

ValleyTalk

Re: Scalzo Article
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 11:17:31 AM »
Great article written by Joe Scalzo in today's vindicator about Wolford. Also see his football report card.
What's so great about it? He ripped Wolford and Strollo a new one on the day the most people in the entire Valley receive the Vindicator.

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 11:30:36 AM »
it's refreshing to have someone tell the truth. unlike pete mollica who no matter what always saw a light at the end of a tunnel.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 11:56:58 AM »
I enjoy reading Scalzo. Always has an honest opinion.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 11:58:00 AM »
Scalzo's article is spot on. I've been saying for years that not only is this an aging fan base, but we have a been there, done that mentality. It just isn't fresh to those of us who lived through the nineties. On a separate note, there is no reason to degrade the late Pete Mollica. He was a fine man who cared for YSU and tried to be fair and balanced with what he wrote. It was during different times when Tressel, and then Heacock, controlled the media more than Wolford, who is much more open.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 01:24:36 PM »
Scalzo is absolutely correct in his warning about fan apathy and in his evaluation of the components of the football team.  Our football program is becoming irrelevant in the community, just like basketball.  The only angry fans that Scalzo mentions in his article can be found posting on this forum.  Casual fans have long since dismissed this team after Heacock and now Wolford. 

His grades to the divisions of the football team are quite fair.  The only issue I have is the grade of C to the coaching staff.  A passing grade after three meltdowns in consecutive years....I don't think so.

Spiderlegs

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 01:31:57 PM »
A key issue was sidestepped in the Scalzo piece: Other FCS schools are getting the intensity out of their players needed to win. Also, YSU is having problems getting the students who stay on campus to the games, which baffles me to no end given the existence of an entire department dedicated to promoting student activities. Can't blame the community until YSU demonstrates that it can manage the pieces that it controls. (Disclaimer: I have FB season tickets.)

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 08:46:26 PM »
After a day of stuffing myself, I took the time to read Scalzo's work and find it pretty much spot on. I like him because he isn't a butt-kisser and tells it like it is. That is sorely needed in this Valley. Surprised he sees the same as me on the QB situation -- might be a good idea to get a Juco or competent transfer here while  they try to develop the recruits.

While there are a lot of guys coming back, its the trenches on both sides of the ball where we need help -- NOW. And I'll be blunt -- some of the lineman here now will hurt us more than help us. YSU goes nowhere until this is addressed.

Great article.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 12:04:30 PM »
I too believe it is on point.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 09:35:56 AM »
Why bash the aging fan base.  Like the younger fan base is not getting older.  What is the point about the fan base.  They do not cause the team to lose.  They are  loyal fans and have been so for years.  They go to the games.  Let's face it, this community will never have fans like Marshall or Boise State.  Their focus is on Mooney, Ursuline, Ohio State, Notre Dame.   YSU is way down the food chain.  Mount Union-John Carroll game drew 8,000 people the day we drew 13,000 for the number 1 team in the country.  Not sure what the solution is but winning and getting to the play-offs might help.  The fact is we are a long way from that.       

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 10:45:42 AM »
scalzo is not bashing the fan base. he is just stating facts. there is no interest from young people and he is trying to say that that is a problem for YSU. what's going to happen when the older people cannot go to the games no more?

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 10:50:03 AM »
Winning solves everything!  Win, and they will come!

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2013, 11:23:28 AM »
I like the tail gating because it is a family affair.  The young kids throwing the football and the girls dressed up in the Penguin Gear become adult fans.  It is a evolution.  I just don't want to become the Akron of the subdivision where no one cares

Offline GOpenZ

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2013, 08:45:06 PM »
I think those posters here worry that with an aging fan population...that at some point those fans will no longer be able to show up and we will have a major drop off in attendance.  This assumes that those fans would not be replaced.  I believe that the core fans pass along the tradition of tailgating and going to the game with their kids and families, so no drop off should occur.    Meanwhile afew other fans pass thru coming and going.  The bigger worry for a lack of future attendance may be based on the likelihood of the younger generation staying in the Youngstown area.  The sale of the "state of Youngstown" might be a bigger marketing issue then the marketing of the Penguins in order to keep such attendance.  My perspective would say that so long as the population stays the same and a decent product continues on the field, the attendance will remain similar.  I seldom believe those who threaten to drop their season tickets really would...or would not be replaced. 

Z

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 01:40:59 PM »
Scalzo's article was fantastic and dead on.  He tells it like it is and I'm glad he writes for the Vindicator.