Author Topic: Beep...Beep...Beep...  (Read 13851 times)

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Beep...Beep...Beep...
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2013, 01:03:17 AM »
The committee has done some crazy stuff over the years, I wouldn't be shocked at anything they do since Mr. UNI is represeting our league including YSU out and UNI in.  I don't think YSU gets in.

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2013, 08:07:13 AM »
Just a couple excerpts from Scalzo's article that hit me with reality:

“I think the weather was a bit of a factor because our guys thrive on adversity,” South Dakota State coach John Stiegelmeier said. “I don’t know about their team but I know it didn’t hurt us.”

The key phrase "our guys thrive on adversity" and our (YSU) guys don't, they roll up and quit.

"The loss — YSU’s third straight — put a serious dent in the Penguins’ playoff hopes and revealed the same problems that have plagued them during Wolford’s four-year tenure: poor defense, poor performance in big games and an inability to right the ship when things go south."

Shouldn't that be enough to remove him or for him to resign??

“Does 8-4 get us in? I don’t know,” Wolford said. “We had a chance to control our destiny today and we didn’t do it.”

Hey Coach, you've been saying that for the last 2 years.  When are you going to do something about it, instead of your constant excuses?  Which you say you don't make.

And the one that actually made me laugh out loud:

"When asked if he’s satisfied with where his program stands in Year 4, Wolford said, “I’ll never be satisfied until we’re playing for a championship and I don’t think you can ever settle, but I think it’s very clear that we’ve made a bunch of progress."

“We’re in the upper echelon of the conference now. We’re not at the bottom, we’re not at the middle. We’ve worked our way to the top. We’ve got to find a way to take that next step to get to that 1-2 spot.”

Coach,  this program has made NO progress.  And yes, you're a middle of the pack football team whether it be the MVFC, CAA or wherever else we may be.  You don't have what it takes to find a way to move up to 1 or 2.  Not with the current coaching staff and/or players that you have brought in. 

ValleyTalk

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2013, 08:15:42 AM »
Read this Mr. Strollo. I am a proud YSU graduate. living 3.5 hours away. I purchase 7 season tickets, Penguin Club (football and baseball), tailgate passes for both lots, and so much more. I deserve better. I have to suffer through a team with no size, speed. or strength. A style of football (at least defense) that does not even belong in the state of Ohio. We are Penguins ...It is more than just winning and losing (the later we have done so well these past few weeks) ...it is truly how you play the game. Decline this invite & pull this (what I hope is a short one) leash in.
I think this remark is extremely selfish on your part. These seniors and this entire football team work their collective asses off each year for this University and the Mahoning Valley. Sure, without question, yesterday's loss was embarrassing and unfortunate, but to hope we DECLINE an invite to the playoffs is absolutely ridiculous.

Just because you despise Eric Wolford and still wish Jon Heacock roamed the sidelines doesn't mean we should hold this program back from a chance to make some noise in the playoffs. Making the playoffs is a huge boost for recruiting, helps give our young guys experience for the future, and will clearly show we have made progress over the past four years.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to make it and lose in the 1st round. However, I think the potential first round matchups are favorable if we do make it in and I feel we can hang with some of the lower seeded teams in the FCS playoffs.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2013, 08:17:20 AM »
UNI has wins over McNesse St. who is 10-2 and Iowa State and head-to-head with YSU.   We have wins against Morehead St, Duquesne, and Dayton.  Who would you take?  Bring back Tressel!!!!

Offline KilrpengWin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2013, 09:15:28 AM »
Any one know what time today the committee will decide our fate?  I'm so disgusted I can't open the vindy to see...

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2013, 09:39:34 AM »
My prediction is that they are in and play at home versus Towson.  My next prediction is that Towson plays in the second round.

Ex Mooney RB Great Reno Ferri coaches at Towson.  Been following them and him on FB.    They will kill us.
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline NDSUSR

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2013, 10:29:10 AM »
Any one know what time today the committee will decide our fate?  I'm so disgusted I can't open the vindy to see...

10:3 cst. ESPNU.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2013, 10:31:00 AM »
Read this Mr. Strollo. I am a proud YSU graduate. living 3.5 hours away. I purchase 7 season tickets, Penguin Club (football and baseball), tailgate passes for both lots, and so much more. I deserve better. I have to suffer through a team with no size, speed. or strength. A style of football (at least defense) that does not even belong in the state of Ohio. We are Penguins ...It is more than just winning and losing (the later we have done so well these past few weeks) ...it is truly how you play the game. Decline this invite & pull this (what I hope is a short one) leash in.
I think this remark is extremely selfish on your part. These seniors and this entire football team work their collective asses off each year for this University and the Mahoning Valley. Sure, without question, yesterday's loss was embarrassing and unfortunate, but to hope we DECLINE an invite to the playoffs is absolutely ridiculous.

Just because you despise Eric Wolford and still wish Jon Heacock roamed the sidelines doesn't mean we should hold this program back from a chance to make some noise in the playoffs. Making the playoffs is a huge boost for recruiting, helps give our young guys experience for the future, and will clearly show we have made progress over the past four years.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to make it and lose in the 1st round. However, I think the potential first round matchups are favorable if we do make it in and I feel we can hang with some of the lower seeded teams in the FCS playoffs.

You know what they say ...everyone is entitled to their opinion. BTW ...what the heck does coach H have to do with what I said? You think you can attack the messenger and make the message any less truthful? Yes decline this invite & give W his papers.

I have hired hundreds of people. Would I ever hire anyone that does not know his competition? We are woefully outmatched in the MVFC ...just how many years do you want to give someone to figure that out. How many more years do I have to hear about how much better recruiting is ...while any quality opponents toss our team around like a pee-wee club playing a HS team? Again you think that attacking me makes this any less true?

I laugh every day, as people just like you attacked me when I said coach H should have been gone five years before he was. Yet you think I have some sort of love-affair with him. I said my goodbyes to him the day he lost his 4th-game in his last season. I moved on ...so should you.

Furthermore ...of course I am selfish ...football is a selfish game ...everyone wants to win every game. If you are any different then what kind of fan are you? I am simply evaluating the possibilities of this happening. Doesn't take much time does it?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 10:38:10 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2013, 10:37:01 AM »
Not in
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline #1 Tailgater

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2013, 10:45:43 AM »
Agreed we will not be in even at 8-4.  The fact is there was only 1 quality win out of the 8, we beat the teams we are supposed to.  I feel for the Senior class, you guys played well and best of luck in your futures.  I will still keep my fingers crossed at 11:30.  Coach best of luck in the recruiting class and to the AD you better really think hard before even think about an extension with this Head Coach. 

"November is for Contenders" .. Jim Tressel

Offline YSUinBoston

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2013, 10:51:48 AM »
This team has no business in the playoffs.  Getting your butt handed to you in back-to-back home games against other playoff quality teams says all you need to say.  They *may* get in, but that would simply be due to a wildly watered down playoff pool now. 

As for feeling bad for the seniors and they "played well", I am assuming they were on the field the last three weeks, right?  Everything isn't Wolford's fault.

But----this guy shouldn't get extended.  He is too much a former football player.  He sounds dumb as a box of rocks.  Is the program better than it was 4 years ago?  I guess...but I think there is a limit to how far this guy can lead a college program.

Offline #1 Tailgater

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2013, 10:59:28 AM »
Totally agree they don't deserve to get in.  Bottom line is as players develop thru their 4-5 years they are to get better.  Point in case Hess did NOT as well as some of the others.  As a season goes on, teams are to get better as they play more together.  We did the opposite 2 years in a row.  I am totally in favor of a change at Head Coach.  If the third time doesn't work the University has to look at the AD.  Bottom line is the university can not afford to buy him out, our best bet is for him to leave on his own.

Spiderlegs

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2013, 12:14:33 PM »
Most YSU sports have been improving with the little budgets they receive, so it's hard to purge the AD.  However, the AD has to stick to his guns about playoffs being an essential part of the FB program. YSU has limited resources and most parts of the university are cutting budgets, so there's a legitimate question about whether the investment in FB has paid off.