Author Topic: Marketing Department  (Read 10811 times)

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Marketing Department
« on: November 17, 2013, 11:49:42 AM »
Open letter to the YSU Football Marketing Department:

I have a question...what is the budget for the Marketing Department...$.06?  I cannot believe that with the number one team in FCS coming to our place with a fan base that travels, we cannot come up with some kind of marketing plan for that NDSU game or even the last game of the season that is for all the marbles.  It is very enjoyable watching PSU White Outs or Baylor Black Outs where every fan and even the team is dressed for the occasion.  What to we get...4 free tickets for anyone who served in the military?  Believe me, I love the military just as much as the next guy and they deserve what they can get, but that is what you have to offer?  Really?  That game should have been marketed all over the place, newspaper, T.V., Internet, Radio, email blasts, etc...Our tailgate crew could not believe it...and where is the marketing director, driving around in a John Deere thing in the tailgate lot helping people set up tents?  The most marketing we do is throwing free footballs into the stands..while the same Minnie the Moocher is playing on the "NoVision" Screen and everyone is trying to catch a football...Please, come up with a plan for the last game of the season and God forbid a home playoff game...jeez, what is next, free tickets to anyone who is breathing?  Start the campaign NOW for SDST and get moving!!!

Pete on a Stick
GO GUINS
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline Observer

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Marketing Department
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 12:01:37 PM »
Your comparing PSU and Baylor...two FBS teams to YSU? did i read that right?

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 12:04:06 PM »
Your comparing PSU and Baylor...two FBS teams to YSU? did i read that right?

Yes I get what he is saying. He is right. You get the actual butts in seats and do something cool with the fans that they will enjoy

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 12:05:21 PM »
Geez Pete - that would require some thought and insight.
Way too much work
Besides, our players - coaches and fans aren't any good
so what is there to market?

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 12:06:31 PM »
Just don't market it like this tool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgHyEbMQ-OE

At least he has enthusiasm!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 12:08:59 PM by penguinpower »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 12:22:47 PM »
Just don't market it like this tool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgHyEbMQ-OE

At least he has enthusiasm!

He says one of only 4 schools in the US with a DJ? Where are the rest ...in the SWAC?  :o

If we used a DJ, Do you realize how quickly I would stop going to YSU football games? As quickly as Cab Calloway can say "scitilly boom".
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 12:26:36 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 02:37:30 PM »
Observer...all I am saying is that why can't we have do SOMETHING....ANYTHING????  I don't care what it is..WE do NOTHING...besides throw some footballs and hand out some chotskys before that game that are donated...so you get NOTHING in return...we suck at marketing the program...yea and why can't we simply do a Red Out...really?  It costs nothing besides getting the word out!!!  Ask many of the insiders with the program...they will tell you about the Marketing of this program...

GO GUINS
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Spiderlegs

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 02:47:21 PM »
The question is how many more people with an expanding marketing campaign yield--the Youngstown metro area isn't the big, and certainly we aren't going to see throngs of people coming to YSU games from Akron or Pittsburgh. YSU football already gets a lot of free publicity from press coverage. As the two basketball teams found out last year, winning is the best marketing that you have. 

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 03:19:47 PM »
I don't care if we get more fans...not my concern...because the one's we get will sit on their butts anyhow...I am talking about pumping up the program and making it an event to go the game for those that are there...

GO GUINS
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 03:20:56 PM »
It seems that the whole strategy of athletic marketing is to cater to the corporate sector and the membership of the Penguin Club.  For the most part, that is fine....that is where the money is at.  But it is appalling the way they ignore opportunities to enhance the program among the common folk.  They utterly ignore the potential value of modern technology to access their fan base.  As a season ticket holder, when do you ever receive a mass email?  Do they even bother to maintain an email data base of season ticket holders or other fans that would gladly choose to receive information.  No, instead they list information on their web site and expect people to go there.  Lazy and incompetent.  Eventually, I hope that President Dunn has time to examine and reflect upon the wasteland of athletic marketing. 

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 03:53:18 PM »
Do we even have a marketing department??? Don't think one exists at YSU.....

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 04:11:27 PM »
The game day experience has to be a family event.  It needs to be marketed that way each and every week. It is something that has to become engrained tradition. Have we lost population? YES but there are still a half a million people adding up Mahoning and Trumbull counties. In 3 years the oil boom will start once the piple lines are biult and the population will grow. We should be able to pack the castle every weekend. That has to be a key perfromance indicator for the success of the marketing people with considerations of weather factored in.  He needs to get the tickets sold and entice the people in.

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 05:52:38 PM »
Fifty years I've been attending games.  The only effort that brings all that you want from "marketing"is so pure and simple "wins"...even that is pathetically unfair because of rebuilding years...be it offense, defense, special teams, coaches...whatever.  The problem that exists as I have witnessed over the years is lack of dedicated fans.
What could we possibly do to achieve dedication.  Very little.  I listen to people sitting behind me, I'd like to
Throttle them, they know less about football than I do about brain surgery...yet they will bad mouth Coaches, Players, Officials, and they can't even spell dedication, much less be at every game showing support.  I got started cause I care about YOUNGSTOWN?

Don't blame marketing, just know ....if you win games...you have fans...if you don't win, you don't.
Sad fact but the truth.

GO PENGUINS

Offline letsgoguins

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2013, 06:39:26 PM »
We do have one individual in charge of marketing. I know some others have already posted about him.

http://www.ysusports.com/information/directory/Love_Rick

Email: rwlove@ysu.edu

Perhaps we should share our thoughts with him in regards to the lack of promotion for last weeks game on such platforms as social media. Sad that our twitter account had to post daily to get people fired up because they did nothing.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2013, 08:30:58 PM »
If the solution was simple I have no doubt that our marketing dept would have done it by now. I believe that there are multiple issues that affect attendance and in no particular order -

population loss in the greater Ytown area
bulk of students still commute and have to work, hard to justify going back to campus on a free day
less students then years ago
price of tickets - slam the ones who will come anyway or lower price in hopes of getting more to come
game time, pick a single starting time that is easier to plan around
osu
win, not only number of wins but folks want to feel confident they will see YSU kick butt that day
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne