Author Topic: So what happens now...  (Read 40337 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: So what happens now...
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2013, 10:39:51 AM »
Btw. Here is college sports madness playoff bracket projection. They have 4 teams from the MVC in. NDSU, YSU, SIU and SDSU. Completely different from sports network. Just to show you how wrong these could be....

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/fcs-football/bracketology

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2013, 11:21:57 AM »
I like that bracket much better.   Anyway! I hope everyone has a happy Thanksgiving!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2013, 11:28:18 AM »
Actually, the college sports madness bracket includes five teams from the MVFC (you left out Northern Iowa.)  Five won't happen, but this will be closer than the bizarre Sports Network prediction that suggests that the MVFC and the lowly MEAC deserve the exact same number of spots. 

We are all paranoid after past perceived snubs.  But remember that the NCAA has stated that a new formula based heavily upon strength of schedule will be applied.  As Paladin and Valley have noted, GPI, Massey, and other statistical rankings now matter more than they ever have.

I really hate to speculate like this.  Win the darn game and everybody sleeps well on Saturday night. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 11:29:34 AM by Wick250 »

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2013, 11:37:59 AM »
This is how  laughable this is -- everyone ( and I mean everyone) thinks we'll host a game if we win. The second place team from the TOUGHEST LEAGUE in FCS). But lose and you not only don't host, but you are out ?  What happened to everyone's opinion that the MVFC is the toughest league ?  The GPI is a TOP 10. Massey is high.  8 wins with a loss to a team that will play for the Big 10 title, the #1 team in FCS  another team who makes the playoffs and a last second FG loss on the road ? Still second place but now not only not hosting , but not good enough for the playoffs ?  ;D

Seriously, some of you need a bowel movement.

Home game has everything to do with the bid and very little to do with the seeding.

From Scalzo - an interview with Strollo to appear in Friday's paper

Joe Scalzo ‏@JoeScalzo1 6m
Home playoff games are based on best bid, not best team. 24th team could still get a home game. If it gets in, YSU will bid "aggressively."

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2013, 12:10:30 PM »
I agree, we are all paranoid because of last year. Everybody needs to take a deep breath.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2013, 12:34:06 PM »
Scalzo also posted a link to the NCAA's FCS selection page.  Here is a brief explanation of the new rating tool they will be using this year to help determine the at-large teams.

NCAA Simple Rating System

Beginning with the 2013 football season, the NCAA Division I Football Championship Committee will use the NCAA Simple Rating System (NCAA SRS) as a tool for evaluating teams for selection into the 24-team championship.

The NCAA Simple Rating System (NCAA SRS) is a ranking system used to gauge team quality. Within the NCAA SRS, the rating of a team will be calculated largely by two components: a strength-of-schedule measure (SOS) and a win-loss differential (WL).

This should help YSU, because the 7 computer rankings that the GPI uses all like the Guins.
Laz - 12th
Ashburn - 7
Keeper - 8
Massey - 9
Self - 6
Sagarin - 10
Born -  10

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2013, 12:37:09 PM »
How much does that rating change when you're on a 3 game losing streak?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2013, 02:12:15 PM »
Soup,

A three game losing streak certainly hurts with the human element (the selection committee,) but a computer could care less when the 8-4 record was acquired.  In this week's GPI, we are 9th but SDSU is 12th.  Lose to them and we probably only switch places.  And again, I hate to be engaging in this type of speculation.

The fact that the NCAA has, at long last, publicly committed to a ratings system that places heavy emphasis upon strength of schedule is very significant.  I believe that they are telling weak conferences that the extra bids are not for them.  9-3 with a GPI in the 40s will get you nothing.  If my theory is correct, this is long overdue good news for us this year and in future years.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2013, 02:41:11 PM »
Not as much is placed on those ranking as you think. I would say they settle back-room arguments at best. So if it is EITHER YSU or SDSU at #24 ...then they let the ratings be their guide. Outside of that, it simply provides the committee a reason when they have upset fans from a team that was not selected. It is still crucial that we have a voting member in Ron Strollo. Also a school that understands the importance of a home game bid.

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2013, 03:11:11 PM »
Thanks guys, appreciate the responses.  Hopefully, they win and I won't have to question myself.  I just don't think they should be in if they suffer another "meltdown" this year.  Just not a big fan of the losing streaks that have haunted this program since Wolford took over.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2013, 04:42:49 PM »
Thanks Soupcity for explaining what I was trying to convey all along.  I too was worried about the meltdown and the committee's habit of leaving us out in the past.  Some years when I felt we should have been in.  Remember Lafayette over us.  That one really irked me.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2013, 07:26:50 PM »
I think this year the team is different. Even though they lost at UNI, they gave a gutty performance agaisnt NDSU with out Kurt Hess. They have also come back late in games unlike last year. If we lose, it will be close barring any unforseen circumstances.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2013, 12:34:52 PM »
It is still crucial that we have a voting member in Ron Strollo.

Strollo is not on the committee this year.  The AD from UNI is representing the MVFC.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2013, 06:50:09 PM »
We go to the playoffs. Something that hasn't been done here in awhile. I say that's progress under Wolford.
Not if you don't win next week you don't.

Ysu still gets in even with an L next week. Even tho I don't want that scenario but they will get in.
Hate to say I told you so....but I did

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2013, 07:38:12 PM »
Me too, IP!!!!

What gives for the future of YSU football?????  Does anyone care to give a thought about that????  Can't remember when I had an encouraging thought (Heacock, you don't agree, that's okay).  I am as I was THREE
Years ago....no play off hopes...so where do we go from here.  Your thoughts!!!!