Author Topic: Attendance  (Read 12189 times)

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Attendance
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 02:13:51 PM »
The ONLY thing that may increase attendance is if YSU played better competition.  If moving up to the FBS is out of the question then the next best option is to schedule top rated FCS schools outside of their conference games and get rid of the Lock havens and Stony Brooks of the world.  It is hard for people to get excited about YSU playing these teams. Start scheduling Delaware, Montana, James Madison and so on.

If I was YSU I would not schedule any team that was FCS non scholarship or below.  I mean YSU prides itself on being  a FCS powerhouse with  proud tradition and history.  Start scheduling the best completion you possibly can.  If the program is as good as it is promoted to be than show it. Don't schedule the sisters of the poor for cheap and easy wins.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 03:06:31 PM »
Several weeks ago, a poster (Valley Talk?) provided us with the figures that the athletic department is required to submit to the federal government.  The most shocking data in there was the fact that we actually spent more on promotions for basketball than for football.  Really?  Since basketball promotion is skimpy, what does that make football?  As 0505 just noted, there is no organized promotion for this game whatsoever. 

Outsourcing is a dirty word around here, and rightly so.  But there are some exceptions.  Personally, I would eliminate the entire marketing/ticket selling university apparatus.  I would contract that work out to a public relations/advertising firm for a low fixed rate plus a percentage of gate receipts.  Then with profits and personal incomes dependent upon high attendance, you would see innovative promotions and enthusiastic advertising. 

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 03:24:08 PM »
If people were interested in the football team and the opponent you should not have to promote the game at all. Do you think ohio state has to promote when they play michigan or wisonsin etc? Does notre dame have to promote when they play stanford or usc? People just are not interested. No amount of promoting wil fix it.

Put out a good team and opponent that will get peoples interest. You can spend a million dollars promoting ysu verse dayton and it would not make a difference.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2013, 05:47:06 PM »
Does notre dame have to promote when they play stanford or usc? People just are not interested. No amount of promoting wil fix it.  Put out a good team and opponent that will get peoples interest.

Agree to a point, but notre dame and the rest have had less than stellar seasons in the recent past and still draw huge crowds.  notre dame, stanford, usc, ohio state all promote their school a heck of a lot more than YSU even begins to.

Aside from the championship years, YSU has been known as UCLA  [University at the Corner of Lincoln Avenue.]
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 06:08:04 PM by ScarletRook »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2013, 07:18:18 PM »
Several weeks ago, a poster (Valley Talk?) provided us with the figures that the athletic department is required to submit to the federal government.  The most shocking data in there was the fact that we actually spent more on promotions for basketball than for football.  Really?  Since basketball promotion is skimpy, what does that make football?  As 0505 just noted, there is no organized promotion for this game whatsoever. 

Outsourcing is a dirty word around here, and rightly so.  But there are some exceptions.  Personally, I would eliminate the entire marketing/ticket selling university apparatus.  I would contract that work out to a public relations/advertising firm for a low fixed rate plus a percentage of gate receipts.  Then with profits and personal incomes dependent upon high attendance, you would see innovative promotions and enthusiastic advertising.

I couldn't agree more!  What they need to do is incentivize the contract so that the marketing company can get a piece of the pie. More sales for YSU means more $ for them. In addition we need to find the best of the best companies not hire the company that does the season ticket commercials. "This team, this Town". I am embarrassed to show people our season ticket commercial. You don't need to play the fight song in the background either. Itis like some college kid was hired to make the commercial as part of a class. Horrible.

We need a big time marketing agency to handle this not some rum dumb local entity. That commercial is as bad as the green team commercials. How much you want to bet it is the same agency?

Offline rick berger

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2013, 07:24:16 PM »
PEOPLE! 

Good evening!  A friend of mine made me cognizant of this forum and I thought I would participate!  :)!  Most of U have made some excellent astute comments regarding the non-existence of promoting the upcoming NDSU game!  But none of U have mentioned the MAIN reason for a lack of marketing for this pivotal crucial game........rick love, the "alleged" marketing director for YSU athletics!  After he was FIRED from Cleveland State in 1997, somehow he ended up at YSU (????)!  He has done abso....LUDT.....ly nothing for the bball programs since his arrival on YSU's campus and now it appears that his do-nothing attitude has drifted over to football!  I have for the last 10 years attempted to get him fired from YSU because he does NOTHING for bball!  NOTHING!  In actuality, he has instituted various policies (elimination of the bleachers under the hoops........placing advertising boards in front of the first row of bleachers in the end zones thus eliminating the view of the court........."alleged" half time "entertainment" that is an insult to the coaches, players and fans and should be an embarassment to the athletic department.......NO PROMOTING OF BBALL GAMES........no incentives for STUDENTS to attend games.......the absurd raising of ticket prices over the last 3 years from $6 to $12........just to name a few) that have negated what little home court advantage  we possess!  It now appears that FOOTBALL fans have finally realized what I have known since 1997!  :)!  Put the pressure on.......bring the heat.......make rick love accountable for his lack of effort.......lack of creativity.......lack of interest.....lack of concern........!!!  And by the way, I did not choose a pseudonym for this posting.......I am Rick Berger and that is my real name!!  :)!  "Make a Difference"  Semper Fi!