Author Topic: Men's Basketball Recruiting Target 6-9 Dan Manzi (2014)  (Read 8597 times)

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Men's Basketball Recruiting Target 6-9 Dan Manzi (2014)
« on: October 10, 2013, 02:59:24 PM »
YSU has offerred 6-9 forward Dan Manzi of Tampa Bay Christian who visited last weekend.  Interesting mix of schools includes YSU, Georgia Tech and Columbia.  Columbia means he's smart kid, but if he has an ACC offer?

ESPN reports offer from Florida Gulf Coast.

http://phenomhoopreport.com/dan-manzi-talks-youngstown-st-visit/

Tampa Bay Christian senior Dan Manzi tripped to Youngstown St last weekend. Phenom Hoop Report caught up with the Showtime Ballerz AAU alum to see how the trip went.

The 6’9” forward tells me he has a top five, at this point, that includes Georgia Tech, Mercer, Youngstown St, Tulane, and Columbia (all have offered). Manzi says about his trip to Youngstown St, “It was great!”
Coming off his trip to Youngstown, Ohio Manzi went a little further by saying, “the campus is good and so is the coaching staff.” Manzi is a versatile forward with an advanced offensive game and a high motor. He has touch to 18’ can put the ball on the floor to attack the basket, and he rebounds and defends his position well.

The people of Youngstown really stuck out to Manzi as well as what he saw on campus “they are good people and have an awesome program, both school and basketball wise.”

Youngstown St was Manzi’s second official visit, his first was to Columbia. When asked to compare the two, Manzi said, “both of them were great.”

Video here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW_zQ-78I1s

Verbalcommits.com shows a Cleveland State offer among others.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/dan-manzi

Nice to get a visit from a kid with this set of offers. 

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Men's Basketball Recruiting Target 6-9 Dan Manzi (2014)
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 12:42:09 AM »
Let's get him in here

ValleyTalk

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 07:11:09 AM »
How we managed to get him on campus, I do not know, but he would be a major sign by Slocum. He would be a great #5 in our offense. Great work recruiting Coach Slocum!

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 04:25:01 PM »
This was the kid I asked about in a recent post. it sure seemed like he was enjoying himself. And he was a legit 6'9". Keep your fingers crossed

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 04:35:18 PM »
Him and Bobby on our frontline??? Yikes

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 01:50:55 PM »

A story from September.  Note that he wants to study Engineering.   I know that YSU's Engineering program was highly thought of back in the Stone Age when I was on campus.  I assume it still is one of the better Schools in campus?

http://www.sourcehoops.com/center-of-attention-dan-manzi/

Tonight’s spotlight on the center position falls on Dan Manzi, a 6’10 senior at Tampa Bay Christian Academy.  A native of Rwanda, Manzi played in July with Florida Select.  Derek Holmes, Head  Coach and Director of the program, was kind enough to spend time with us regarding Manzi and what he brings to the court.

“Dan generally was a match-up problem for the other team”, said Holmes.  “In the post he has good footwork and a good pair of hands.  He’s strong and able to score more often than not when he gets the ball down low.  Dan also has the ability to knock down jump shots to fifteen feet as well as put the ball on the floor for a couple of dribbles and score from either the high post or short corner.  He also is a solid post defender and while maybe not a big time leaper, he still is able to block and alter shots.  Dan wasn’t always able to play his best ball in July because of a lingering foot injury.  He should be more than ready to go once the high school season starts.”

Holmes believes Manzi’s greatest strength is his ability to score both inside and out.

“Dan gets off the floor well for his jumper and has a soft touch”, Holmes stated.  “He’s effective inside with a lefty jump hook.  He can play in the high post and either hit shots from the foul line or get by his defender after a pump fake and score at the rim after a single dribble.”

Manzi still has some progress to make on both ends of the court to make an impact at the next level according to Holmes.

“Defensively, he has some work to do when it comes to defending the pick-and-roll.  He has to know when to hedge on the dribbler or stay with his man.  On the offensive end, Dan sometimes goes a bit too fast when making his post move.  He’ll travel or rush the shot.  All those things will be corrected with repetition.”

Holmes was kind enough to put us in touch with Terrance Nelson, Manzi’s legal guardian, who gave us a list of schools looking to secure Manzi’s signature on a LOI.

“Right now he has offers from Columbia, Jacksonville, Texas Pan-Am, Miami (OH), Youngstown State, and some others”, stated Nelson.  “Schools such as Southern Cal, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida Gulf Coast, and South Florida are showing increasing interest.  Dan is very bright and wants to study engineering in college, so schools like Clemson and Purdue, high majors with good engineering programs, would be wise to take closer look.”

Nelson was quick to respond when we asked what pro or college player Manzi resembles.

“For me, I think he’s similar to Juwan Howard”, said Nelson.  “He has length, the ability to play inside or outside, is a solid defender and isn’t flashy, just effective.”

Offline AFGuin

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 01:39:32 AM »
Hasn't even visited GT and has  them as their leader? kiss this one good bye

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 07:20:28 AM »
I'm not so sure there is a Georgia Tech offer.  Agree that there should be no chance if GT has offered.  Haven't seen anything to indicate they've offered.

Offline ysuhoops24

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 08:02:04 AM »
I'm not so sure there is a Georgia Tech offer.  Agree that there should be no chance if GT has offered.  Haven't seen anything to indicate they've offered.

right on, sometimes "interest" get's confused for "offers" in this social media world we live in.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 07:19:15 PM »
Seeing reports that Manzi committed to Texas Pan American

IP - will they likely hold the last scholarship for the Spring or is someone else on the radar?

edit - from Twitter

Russ ‏@RussHoops 50m
Dan Manzi can score from inside or out w/range to abt 15 feet, has good hands & nice footwork.  He’s a very good pick up for UT-PanAmerican
Followed by Jamie Shaw and 3 others
Expand
 Source Hoops ‏@SourceHoops 1h
6'9" Power Forward Dan Manzi of Tampa Bay Christian has committed to UT-PanAmerican.
Expand
 Russ ‏@RussHoops 1h
6'9" 230 FW/C Dan Manzi, TampaBay Christian via Rwanda has committed to UT-PanAmerican.
Expand
 Verbal Commits ‏@VerbalCommits 1h
2014 Tampa Bay Christian (FL) F/C Dan Manzi has committed to Texas-Pan American. (HT @EvanDanielsFOX) http://verbalcommits.com/players/dan-manzi
Expand
 Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDanielsFOX 1h
UT-Pan American scored 6-9, 230-pound Dan Manzi, a source says. Liked him a lot this spring. Has some scoring ability. Steal.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 07:59:09 PM by ysuindy »