Author Topic: YSU at UNI. 11/9  (Read 29482 times)

Offline KilrpengWin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU at UNI. 11/9
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2013, 08:21:41 AM »
Since the NDSU thread is locked, perhaps Lakes can start another called... Pump it up ypungstown, look ahead to sdsu....

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2013, 08:49:55 AM »
I had trouble sleeping last night after watching that game. It literally made me ill.

If we play like we did against Illinois State we can beat NDSU. We have the athletes and the depth to do it. The issue is the fundamentals (on the team) and the play calling in all 3 phases (on the coaches).  That is the key to winning this next  game.

We cannot turn the ball over, have bad snaps, miss field goals, have false starts, not turn around when a pass is in the air, or play a predictable soft zone defense. We will need an exceptional effort from every position. If we don't shore up the fundamental play of our secondary we will be in for a long day. The DB coach is not getting it done. Peterman could have been called for face guarding that may have resulted in a TD. I can't tell you haow many times I have noticed stupid little things like that that have cost us games. If he turns around we have an INT and the don't get 3 points.

The playcalling on offense must improve.  I-AA fan, we have a power game. We are running A-Gap power plays over and over. I know that we are tunning that play to set up play action, but when the box is full, we cannot expect to run the ball like that every single play. Even Tressel knew when to mix it up a little. We are successful with the dive play, but we run it a little bit too much which puts us in a punting situatuon and the Defense is not coached well enough to make the necessary stops. Tressel would run those power plays all day, they are just disguised differently now, but tressel had his best athletes on defense and it was a defense the could turn a game or preserve a victory. We are unable to do that on defense consistently. That is why we must be more creative on offense.

That game was pissed away by bad playcalling on offense and lack of fundamentals all the way around.  You can't have those penalties and TO's and expect to win close games. I don't understand why Hess, who is a senior, cannot change the play at the LOS. I saw multiple times yesterday when we got to the line, UNI defenders were showing blitz so Hess would stop the play and look to the sideline and then go back to the LOS only to have the UNI defenders back up like they were going into pass protection. Hess should be able to audible out on his own and run a different play. Looking to the sideline gives the defense time to change their intentions. We should be able to run whatever play we want regardless. We have one of the best QB's in the FCS and the play calling was highschool.

This cannot happen against NDSU.

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2013, 01:55:14 PM »
Since the NDSU thread is locked, perhaps Lakes can start another called... Pump it up ypungstown, look ahead to sdsu....

Nah I'll pass.  Lol

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2013, 02:10:48 PM »
Penguinpower:

Good analysis, we had multiple opportunities and many poor decisions. You must have poured your heart into your analysis. We better heed some of your insights, if we are to have any chance against NDSU this Saturday.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2013, 05:26:30 PM »
Good points Power.

We have power formations, but not the line depth and big backs to make them successful.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2013, 06:59:21 PM »
Penguinpower:

Good analysis, we had multiple opportunities and many poor decisions. You must have poured your heart into your analysis. We better heed some of your insights, if we are to have any chance against NDSU this Saturday.

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or giving a compliment but I was emotionally drained and bothered by this all night and so I put down my thoughts. I actually listed everything that bothered me. 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 07:36:08 PM by penguinpower »

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2013, 08:46:50 PM »
Power:

Definitely not sarcastic, I got sick of watching Ruiz try to run over 7 defensive linemen. Your analysis hit it right on the head. Also, our defensive backs rarely look back when a pass is headed toward the receiver they're covering (they're taught to keep their eyes on the receiver) thus I have seen several other opportunities for interceptions by our DB's in previous games go for naught, just like the #8 missed.

Keep up the good analyses.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2013, 08:52:59 PM »
Despite the awful second half, I still maintain the game was lost on the blocked punt and fumble on the kickoff right after UNI cut it to 14-12.

In so many words I am saying if we do not make silly mistakes like those, we have a pretty darn good football team. If we hold onto the ball against NDSU, I think we have a great chance to take them down with Olson out on their defense.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2013, 09:45:19 PM »
Despite the awful second half, I still maintain the game was lost on the blocked punt and fumble on the kickoff right after UNI cut it to 14-12.

In so many words I am saying if we do not make silly mistakes like those, we have a pretty darn good football team. If we hold onto the ball against NDSU, I think we have a great chance to take them down with Olson out on their defense.

The game may have  been lost there, but we had the lead up until the last possession and we didn't get them stopped.  Stick pointed out that we don't have playmakers.  I'm saying we don't have playmakers.......yet.  We had 3 separate opportunities to stop them with a lead at the end of the game and we let them score.  There was an excellent play by Peterman to sack their QB on 2nd down where he took him down at the 43 and knocked them out of field goal range.  We subsequently gave up the 3rd and long that put them in field goal range because they completed a pass while we were saying a soft zone.

We had the lead with 5 minutes remaining.  We simply needed to preserve the lead but we were unable to get it done.  My point is that as badly as we played the entire game, we took the lead late in the 4th quarter and we couldn't hold it.  Perhaps you are right about when lost the game, but in my mind we had the game won and couldn't keep them out of field goal range because we played a ridiculously stupid coverage on the final series.  This is not taking into account the dropped pick by #8 or the lb play on 4th and 1.  I hate to criticize the line backer play because I thought they were exceptional all night except for a couple of plays.  Ali Chaieb (spelling) was outstanding individually, and the LB group anchors our current defense.

Another point I never mentioned is that we were unprepared to come out on offense when we got a pick and we had to call a time out.  What the hell are we doing there?  We wasted time outs all game long because we were not prepared or were affected by crowd noise?  I don't know, but we didn't look prepared to me.

This isn't an indictment on the season it was one game, but there is an underlying theme that many have pointed out here.  Wolford needs to get this figured out in order to improve.  We beat ourselves and that is what is the most difficult thing for me to swallow.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 10:08:59 PM by penguinpower »

ValleyTalk

« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2013, 09:56:09 PM »
Some YSU fans think we have a loud crowd... Trust me, it is nothing compared to these dome's... It is embarrassing when a crowd of 5,000 is louder than our crowd's of 15,000, even if it is in a dome.

Everyone better be on their feet Saturday. I don't give a crap if people behind me are sitting down. I care more about our 12th man and winning than blocking some casual fans view.