Author Topic: NDSU @ YSU. lets pump it up!  (Read 61032 times)

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: NDSU @ YSU. lets pump it up!
« Reply #105 on: November 16, 2013, 09:13:12 PM »
Nobody's going to show up knowing the outcome.  We've faltered the past three years down the stretch!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 16, 2013, 09:50:55 PM »
Lakes - probably the only city in Ohio that isn't overwhelmingly Ohio State is Cincinnati.  And there are a lot of Buckeye fans there as well. 

Youngstown, Kent, Akron doesn't matter - OSU comes first with most people.  its part of the challenges of selling tickets.  The local school is the #2 school in most of the state and people would rather stay home and watch the Buckeres on TV.  You will see a lot more Ohio State garb this weekend outside of the game.  People love a winner at the highest level - and that's tO$U.

As Pita said, enjoy your visit, spend lots of money, travel safe but go home unhappy with the result.  :)

I am not happy about it, have never had any interest in osu but you have pretty much hit the nail on the head.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 16, 2013, 11:46:39 PM »
Thanks for the hospitality. The bar scene was good, nice to meet some of you.  Soup, penguin on a stick etc

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 29, 2013, 12:40:28 PM »
Yall got NDSU's back for title game?

Any ysu fans going to texas?

Offline GOpenZ

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 31, 2013, 01:13:29 PM »
I keep an opening championship weekend in my schedule every year.  However, this year will not be a year that I attend.  Go Bison!

Z

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 16, 2014, 09:46:43 PM »
NDSU won the FCS championship...again...and now after winning the Summit in MBB is in the big dance.  Earlier in the season they beat Notre Dame in South Bend.

NDSU has an enrollment of 14.6K (YSU 12.8K), so its not that much bigger than YSU.  I don't buy the argument that recruitment is easier for NDSU.  They are in a less densely populated region in which top talent is recruited by Nebraska amongst others.

What makes their Athletic Department so superior to ours?
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #111 on: March 16, 2014, 09:53:49 PM »
NDSU won the FCS championship...again...and now after winning the Summit in MBB is in the big dance.  Earlier in the season they beat Notre Dame in South Bend.

NDSU has an enrollment of 14.6K (YSU 12.8K), so its not that much bigger than YSU.  I don't buy the argument that recruitment is easier for NDSU.  They are in a less densely populated region in which top talent is recruited by Nebraska amongst others.

It is called being the bigger of only 2 colleges (DI) in the state. Who cares about recruiting. It is called government funds. On a per-capita basis, they get more money than OSU. Ohio has Akron, Ohio, Ohio State, Cincinnati, Toledo, Bowling Green, Miami, Youngstown State, Dayton, Cleveland State, and Kent State. Also- Xavier and Wright State. Still seems like I am forgetting a couple.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 09:00:18 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 16, 2014, 11:26:57 PM »
We lost to NDSU at a neutral site last season in overtime, so I figure that our basketball program is quite similar.  Remember that the Summit League is much weaker.  They can win without top tier Horizon League caliber talent. 

IAA Fan's point about state funding is important.  I don't know the specifics about North Dakota, but it is highly likely that they fund their two universities at a much higher rate than Ohio.  Private oil money could also factor into the equation.  Incidentally IAA Fan, Dayton and Xavier are Catholic schools that get no state funding, but your point about the volume of state schools is accurate.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #113 on: March 17, 2014, 09:22:17 AM »
I think you will find that both schools (St. X and UD) get more government (at least state of Ohio) dollars than YSU. I would have to do some research. I know that that recently, several Catholic Universities banned together in opposition to Obama administration regulations and the answer was "no" because of the money they received. The schools argued tax-exemption was not funding, but the state money was direct. I do know that in the mid-1900's Catholic K-12 schools were in financial peril and the Government started to fund them & they did not want some of the inner-city youth to be unleashed on an overburdened public system. With nuns, brothers and priest teaching with no salaries or benefits ...it was much less expensive to keep the parochial K-12 schools opened.

Offline stuperman17

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2014, 10:40:35 AM »

It is called being the bigger of only 2 colleges (DI) in the state. Who cares about recruiting. It is called government funds. On a per-capita basis, they get more money than OSU. Ohio has Akron, Ohio, Ohio State, Cincinnati, Toledo, Bowling Green, Miami, Youngstown State, Dayton, Cleveland State, and Kent State. Also- Xavier and Wright State. Still seems like I am forgetting a couple.

I'm almost 100% positive that OSU gets no government funding at all, due to their lack of need for it.  They're very profitable, whereas most universities' athletic departments around the country lose money every single year.  There are only a handful of athletic departments that are actually in the black. 

Offline Observer

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 17, 2014, 12:14:43 PM »
http://www.osu.edu/osutoday/stuinfo.php

State appropriation 503 million in 2013. 

http://web.ysu.edu/gen/ysu_generated_bin/documents/basic_module/Budget_Document_FY13.pdf

YSU state funding $38,752,093 in 2013.

easy facts to find folks

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 17, 2014, 01:29:52 PM »
IAA Fan, I don't want to argue over something that I care little about, but the state of Ohio gives no money to private colleges.  Students at those places can receive government financial aid, which is why those institutions must abide by certain standards.  But a direct subsidy like a state school....no.

On the K-12 level, the state government gives nothing to Catholic schools, except for bus transportation.  You are thinking about the voucher programs that enable kids in dysfunctional public schools to attend a private alternative.  Many use those vouchers for Catholic schools.  That is the source of confusion about this topic.  There is no direct state aid to Catholic schools.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #117 on: March 17, 2014, 03:37:08 PM »
I see what you mean Wick. None the less, being the only fish in the sea has huge advantages for NDSU & UND.

Thanks for the good info Observer:

I just went to the state of ND: annual appropriations are:

323,043,595 for UND
211,013,140 NDSU

now we do not know how much of this went to athletics, but clearly the $$$ are 4 and 6 times more plentiful in the plain states :)