Author Topic: How good is NDSU?  (Read 19596 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
How good is NDSU?
« on: October 01, 2013, 01:42:20 PM »
Massey has them at #29 this week and we are at #107. :-\

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: How good is NDSU?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 01:47:38 PM »
Ma$$ey has them at #29 this week and we are at #107. :-\

Sounds about right to me

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 02:23:56 PM »
Pretty damn good

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 02:32:49 PM »
you'll have some idea when they play UNI this week

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 04:38:01 PM »
NDSU is a FBS team playing in the FCS.  They could be competitive in any BCS conference.  For YSU, the NDSU game in November may be a worse beating than the Sparty slaughter.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline YSURON

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 05:25:49 PM »
Penguin Nation, what are you drinking. Do you really believe they would be competitive in the SEC.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 06:34:21 PM »
NDSU had a wonderful win when they defeated Kansas State on national tv.  Of course, KSU had lost most of their impact players from 2012.  Still, a signature win.  However, the NDSU wins over other FBS opponents were all against bottom feeders in their respective conferences: Minnesota, Kansas, Colorado State.  Big difference between those teams and Ohio State, Penn State (pre-scandal) and Michigan State.  As Paladin suggested, let's wait and see how their game against UNI unfolds.  I am also curious to see if Southern Illinois can play a competitive game against them in Carbondale in three weeks.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 08:03:33 PM »
Ron--

If YSU was in the SEC, they would be torn apart by Kentucky and Tennessee.  If NDSU was in the SEC, they'd be competitive.  I'm not saying they'd win it, or beat Alabama or Georgia, but look at the Sagarin ratings.  They have NDSU ranked 29th and Auburn 35th!  Kentucky is ranked 89th! 

NDSU could hang anywhere.

As far as the NDSU -UNI game, even if NDSU loses, even if by a lot, my opinion would not change.  UNI destroyed ranked McNeese and is a tough team in it's own right.  The MVFC collectively is head and shoulders above all other conferences collectively.  Now if the following week, NDSU struggles with Missouri State, than I will rethink my opinion of the Bison (actually my guess is Missouri State won't have enough players willing to leave the locker room after halftime to finish the game).
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 08:12:23 PM by Penguin Nation »
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 03:07:58 PM »
NDSU is at #37 in sagarin rankings in all of FBS.

Absolutely NDSU is a top 35 team in the FBS.

Absolutely the Mountain West and MAC refuse to invite NDSU for fears of them dominating the conference from day 1 in football..... heck beating 2 Big 12 and 2 Big 10 teams already shows NDSU could play in the middle of the pack of most divisions.

SEC is a totally different beast, as is the top 2-3 teams of the Big 12, Pac 10, Big 10.....   

NDSU's defense is straight up a top 20 FBS defense, and I will fight anyone that thinks otherwise....  (offensively ndsu gets boring every other week, haha)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 04:29:35 PM »
These are always fun conversations to have. No disrespect, but I would stop short of saying a top-35 ...but fairly close. Maybe top-50 to 75. The result against most any of the upper-half of the IA/FBS teams would be about how your third quarter was against against KSU. The games would start out close, but eventually your FBS opponent would take control. You would not rally from a two TD hole from most FBS clubs ...and probably not against KSU if you were to play next Saturday. They are a completely different team now. All the more reason these money games should always be the first game of the season.

Also you would dominate initially in the SWAC or Mountain because of your style of ball. Probably not the Mountain. However, as with any FCS transfer team, you would go from 1st to last in pretty short order. Look at Marshall in CUSA, UMazz, or UConn. Probably even need a new head coach, unless Bohles could adjust to a more open style of offense and defense. Believe me, we old time YSU fans know just how boring certain offensive-styles can be ...even when you are winning. People on this board still get upset with me when I say that it was time for Tressel to go when he did. He might not have ever gone back to a spread if he did not jump to OSU. Yet now look what we have ...the complete opposite.

Many teams think they can be successful by bucking the system. Just remember, your defense is not used to playing teams that will throw the ball deep all of the time. Why? Because your offense does not throw the ball like that, and it is that offense that your defense plays against every day of the year ...outside of game day.

Then what will happen? Bohles has the DC make adjustments, recruit more speed, and presto ...you are a different football team than you were when you moved up. Then your offense will not have any success. Eventually this teeter-totter levels off. Styles of football are not as distinct today, as they were even 10-years ago, but they still are different. What is nice is NDSU's budget is large and your regional recruiting is still virgin to most D1 schools.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 04:36:29 PM by IAA Fan »

ValleyTalk

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 06:47:09 PM »
NDSU is at #37 in sagarin rankings in all of FBS.

Absolutely NDSU is a top 35 team in the FBS.

Absolutely the Mountain West and MAC refuse to invite NDSU for fears of them dominating the conference from day 1 in football..... heck beating 2 Big 12 and 2 Big 10 teams already shows NDSU could play in the middle of the pack of most divisions.

SEC is a totally different beast, as is the top 2-3 teams of the Big 12, Pac 10, Big 10.....   

NDSU's defense is straight up a top 20 FBS defense, and I will fight anyone that thinks otherwise....  (offensively ndsu gets boring every other week, haha)
You just gave up 26 points to Missouri State. They put up 305 yards of total offense against you, which is pretty good considering they were 1-6 and you were #1 in the nation.

I disagree with you that you are a top 20 FBS defense. No top 20 FBS defense gives up 26 points to Missouri State... None!

Offline Karl Hungus

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 07:54:33 PM »
As "The Dude " would say " Far out Man ". This is all BS until the game is played. YSU gets  better every game. They are in control of their  future.  I hope they peak when we need them. I think they will. All these negative waves......

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 06:54:07 AM »
Be careful Valley. You make some valid points, but our D is far more questionable right now. With NDSU, I know we will get solid front & outside pressure most all day

ValleyTalk

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 07:12:44 AM »
Be careful Valley. You make some valid points, but our D is far more questionable right now. With NDSU, I know we will get solid front & outside pressure most all day
I'm just stating their defense is not a top 20 FBS defense. They are clearly better than us on defense, but two years ago, our offense was too much for their defense. It could happen again this year.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 01:35:04 PM »
I'm just stating their defense is not a top 20 FBS defense. They are clearly better than us on defense, but two years ago, our offense was too much for their defense. It could happen again this year.

I remember that. Kravitz switched-up to a 4-3 & it was as if NDSU went into slow-motion.