Author Topic: Life after Wolford  (Read 44512 times)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Life after Wolford
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2013, 12:34:44 PM »
With the budget crisis at YSU, I do not see any possibility for YSU to add much additional funding into the football budget any time soon. Our enrollment is about half of Akron and Kent. The student fees will not generate enough money to have similar athletic $$$ to those institutions.

We actually have been getting more students into the game than previous few years. If we starting losing the conference games, that will drop off also.

In our faculty meeting with the new YSU president, some faculty members have already asked the president to consider reducing the athletic budget. To his credit, he indicated that we would stay in the current D-1 competitions for all sports at this time.

Go penguins.... I hope the rain stops for the game so we don't have to get wet. I hate to see our receivers and PR trying to catch a wet football.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2013, 10:51:20 PM »
With the budget crisis at YSU, I do not see any possibility for YSU to add much additional funding into the football budget any time soon. Our enrollment is about half of Akron and Kent. The student fees will not generate enough money to have similar athletic $$$ to those institutions.

We actually have been getting more students into the game than previous few years. If we starting losing the conference games, that will drop off also.

In our faculty meeting with the new YSU president, some faculty members have already asked the president to consider reducing the athletic budget. To his credit, he indicated that we would stay in the current D-1 competitions for all sports at this time.

Go penguins.... I hope the rain stops for the game so we don't have to get wet. I hate to see our receivers and PR trying to catch a wet football.
Naturally they would want to cut that, and then ask for more $$$ in their next contract... That is what some would like, not all. I digress.

Athletics are a tremendous advertising and marketing tool. Anyone who questions that, go look at the interest in places like FCSU, Appy State, NDSU, among others. Marketing alone can't get the publicity those universities have received in recent years due to athletics.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2013, 11:08:16 PM »
Without past coaches and key community contributors with deep pockets the campus wouldnt look the way it does today. These people are crazy and self surving... I suppose they are afraid their $100k pension will drop to $75k...

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2013, 11:17:11 PM »

Naturally they would want to cut that, and then ask for more $$$ in their next contract... That is what some would like, not all. I digress.

Athletics are a tremendous advertising and marketing tool. Anyone who questions that, go look at the interest in places like FCSU, Appy State, NDSU, among others. Marketing alone can't get the publicity those universities have received in recent years due to athletics.

Screw the teachers unions.  Unions suck.  That is what this is about.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2013, 10:19:52 AM »

Exactly, most of these guys do not see the importance of athletics in the name recognition of the university as well as the student recruitment process.

Having spend over 25 years as engineering manager in one of the largest corporations in the world, I am just having a difficult time in understanding their mindset.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 10:26:20 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2013, 11:43:01 AM »
Many faculty members support our athletic programs, precisely because we are not "big time" and thus our athletes are real students.  Like any campus in the USA, some faculty members hate sports, probably because they were wimps as children and ostracized in their play group because of their lack of physical talent.  They are of no consequence beyond generating media headlines.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2013, 12:22:33 PM »
Many faculty members support our athletic programs, precisely because we are not "big time" and thus our athletes are real students.  Like any campus in the USA, some faculty members hate sports, probably because they were wimps as children and ostracized in their play group because of their lack of physical talent.  They are of no consequence beyond generating media headlines.

Dr Minci in thechemistry department is one of those that supports YSU athleticsn and properly I might add.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2013, 06:11:05 PM »
Dr Minci in thechemistry department is one of those that supports YSU athleticsn and properly I might add.

He is one of the biggest supporter for YSU sports. I discussed YSU football with him each time we met on campus. I joined his tailgate often. He missed his first Penguins football game for the first time a few years ago due to health issue. His wife ran his tailgate. There are many other faculty members who are also die hard fans for the YSU sports beside Dr. Minci.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 06:35:18 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2013, 06:17:13 PM »
If you're going to heap praise on someone, at least spell his name right. It's Mincey.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2013, 06:31:21 PM »
If you're going to heap praise on someone, at least spell his name right. It's Mincey.

I was using my daughter's Kindle (which I do not recommend for adults) and the damn thing changes words you type. I was able to shut it off on one of them but I can't remember how I did it. Since I hunt and peck the letters I don't always notice, plus the eyesight is not as good and if I am not wearing cheaters or glasses it makes it worse.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2013, 08:47:06 PM »
I was using my daughter's Kindle (which I do not recommend for adults) and the damn thing changes words you type. I was able to shut it off on one of them but I can't remember how I did it. Since I hunt and peck the letters I don't always notice, plus the eyesight is not as good and if I am not wearing cheaters or glasses it makes it worse.

This is why I am staying in the 20th century....and happy I made it that far.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2013, 09:32:51 PM »

My apologies to Daryl.

Offline AFGuin

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2013, 11:03:36 PM »
This threads lookin pretty stupid right now
it would take a mazzive meltdown by the staff not to make the playoffs
should only have to go 2-3 and get in
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 11:04:32 PM by AFGuin »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2013, 12:09:01 AM »
This threads lookin pretty stupid right now
it would take a mazzive meltdown by the staff not to make the playoffs
should only have to go 2-3 and get in

8-4 may not (probably won't) make it in.  Playoff field expanded by 4, but 2 more conferences now get auto-bids, making it only 2 more at-large invites for all of the FCS.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

ValleyTalk

« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2013, 12:19:49 AM »
Where's the loons that want Tresey fired? Crickets.