Author Topic: Fire Tresy  (Read 58229 times)

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Tresy
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2013, 10:45:16 AM »
Where to start -- first this site was an apologist for Heacock for years, well beyond when he should have been run off. But Strollo allowed him to destroy the program and drive down attendance. Strollo should have been canned too. I got run off this site for promoting what eventually had to be done and they finally did do. But the job is unfinished -- Strollo needs to go.

Second, I had concerns coming into this season and still do. But we just FINALLY lost our FIRST FCS game at UNI. I think  they are in the playoffs already even if they lose all the games remaining. 8-4 is in the playoffs, period. That said as much as I hsate that the D sucks big at times, It is extremely tough these days trying  to defend the Spread if you have a QB who can run & throw.  Sometimes impossible. I laugh at the stupid comment that Wolf won with Heacock players . Hell he ran them all off expect for Hess. The talent level has increased here because of the uptick in recruits. Wolf is a strong recruiter. They have been a game short each year for awhile of making the playoffs under Wolf but can't miss now. The only real problem here now is recruiting better D players  and making it more of a priority than O because there will be a drop off when Hess leaves this year. Chances are we win one more for 9 wins. That and the playoffs will get an extension. Just don't  make it long.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2013, 11:59:29 AM »
Where to start -- first this site was an apologist for Heacock for years, well beyond when he should have been run off. But Strollo allowed him to destroy the program and drive down attendance. Strollo should have been canned too. I got run off this site for promoting what eventually had to be done and they finally did do. But the job is unfinished -- Strollo needs to go.

Second, I had concerns coming into this season and still do. But we just FINALLY lost our FIRST FCS game at UNI. I think  they are in the playoffs already even if they lose all the games remaining. 8-4 is in the playoffs, period. That said as much as I hsate that the D sucks big at times, It is extremely tough these days trying  to defend the Spread if you have a QB who can run & throw.  Sometimes impossible. I laugh at the stupid comment that Wolf won with Heacock players . Hell he ran them all off expect for Hess. The talent level has increased here because of the uptick in recruits. Wolf is a strong recruiter. They have been a game short each year for awhile of making the playoffs under Wolf but can't miss now. The only real problem here now is recruiting better D players  and making it more of a priority than O because there will be a drop off when Hess leaves this year. Chances are we win one more for 9 wins. That and the playoffs will get an extension. Just don't  make it long.

Pally, I have to strongly disagree in two areas:

1. Please name the top players since W arrived, excluding jucos. If you care to start a thread on the subject ...please do. Yes he ran much of them off. What does that tell us, and something many on this site said back then? There is no reason for any extension, next year is not optional. Even good players that W recruits sit on the bench because all we do is recruit receivers and running backs. This does not make him a good recruiter and I am tired of hearing how great he is. He does not know how to recruit football players & he does not know how to recruit a football team. I am tired of being the school in which he educates himself on how too be a head coach.

2. Also you can trash people til you hearts content, I have never run anyone off for that ...never will. I was tired of reading daily complaints by other posters. You have been a completely different poster as of late. Let's not ruin this thread by going down this path.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2013, 12:09:59 PM »
Arguing that Heacock was a competent HC is like arguing turtles are fast.  "If it wasn't for those tiny legs..they'ed clobber the rabbit"

After Heacock's first two years (in which was was playing with Tressels players), he only had a winning record in the Gateway two out of seven years.  Despite inheriting a playoff caliber team, it took Heacock six years to get in the playoffs, and he never made it back in since.  Wolf likely will have a playoff team in his fourth season as HC.  Heacock destroyed a playoff caliber team, and Wolf has progressively (albeit slowly) improved a broken team.

FBS teams clobbered Heacock teams, and the Wolf beat one in his third season.  Heacock never beat UNI in nine years, the Wolf did it in his third year.

My point is, Heacock is pale in comparison to the Wolf...or Tressel...or Narduzzi....   His contract renewal after no playoff appearances IMO is scandalous, and should have lead to the dismissal of the AD. 

Also, if Heacock's contract was renewed after decimating a team and having no playoff appearances (again, this team made the playoffs 9/12 years prior to Heacock), why would the Wolf's contract not be renewed after making the playoffs this year?

How is Purdue's defense this year?  Thank God for that 6 point win over the Sycamores!
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2013, 12:46:42 PM »
Arguing that Heacock was a competent HC is like arguing turtles are fast.  "If it wasn't for those tiny legs..they'ed clobber the rabbit"

After Heacock's first two years (in which was was playing with Tressels players), he only had a winning record in the Gateway two out of seven years.  Despite inheriting a playoff caliber team, it took Heacock six years to get in the playoffs, and he never made it back in since.  Wolf likely will have a playoff team in his fourth season as HC.  Heacock destroyed a playoff caliber team, and Wolf has progressively (albeit slowly) improved a broken team.

FBS teams clobbered Heacock teams, and the Wolf beat one in his third season.  Heacock never beat UNI in nine years, the Wolf did it in his third year.

My point is, Heacock is pale in comparison to the Wolf...or Tressel...or Narduzzi....   His contract renewal after no playoff appearances IMO is scandalous, and should have lead to the dismissal of the AD. 

Also, if Heacock's contract was renewed after decimating a team and having no playoff appearances (again, this team made the playoffs 9/12 years prior to Heacock), why would the Wolf's contract not be renewed after making the playoffs this year?

How is Purdue's defense this year?  Thank God for that 6 point win over the Sycamores!

Amen to all your points

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2013, 01:04:45 PM »

Nation.....I haven't read anyone here talk about how fantastic a coach Heacock was or wasn't (me included).  What we've all been saying was that preparation wise, Heacock blows Wolford out every single time, with arguably less talent and depth.  If, and I mean IF YSU loses these last 2 games....both coaches will have identical records in their first 4 years.  And according to you, it will be with identically stacked teams.  Heacock with Tressel leftovers and Wolford with his own guys who have supposedly provided better talent and depth than in the last decade.   I don't think anyone is questioning the talent he's brought in, but development-wise, sorry man this coaching staff is not getting it done.   Now, I will never question anyone's gripes with Heacock being around WAY to long, as I thought he should've never received an extenstion.

Back to Wolford, yesterday was the first time in nearly 4 years he actually admitted a loss was on him.  Whether he meant it or not....only he knows, but that was a great step forward, at least for me.  When it comes down to it, he is the Head Coach and a loss that happens because of a lack of preparation/focus or a lack of making a bold decision is strictly on him and no one else.  I don't care what anyone says.

I would like to add a caveat to this, I'm 100% behind Wolford and this team.  I hope they get their crap straight and play well.  Even though I'm his biggest critic, he has brought an err of excitement but at the end of the day, if there are no playoff runs.....he'll be a failure, just like Heacock.  And if he is the man he claims to be....when this season is over (regardless of what happens), he will tell Stollo, no contract extension discussions until next season.  Because let us not forget, Kurt Hess is a senior.  And there is no likely replacement at this time. 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2013, 01:31:27 PM »
How did this thread deteriorate into a Heacock thread IP? BTW, if you have issues with Purdue's defense, why don't you ask their DC ... his name Hudson. Heacock only led the top defense in the MAC ...you know that conference you all want to join. he is the DB's coach at Purdue and has received much praise for his teaching and ability to recruit the midwest and Florida (from his own head coach).

Also 0505, be fair Pitt was a worse football team than half of the MVFC last year. So take that game away & I do not see much improvement by W over any of his predecessors.

Again the point is, IMO, we are no better off now ...after 4 seasons. Soup said it best. You brag about Wolf's great players ...but what have they done? There is no football IQ. The difference between NDSU and YSU.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2013, 01:38:21 PM »
How did this thread deteriorate into a Heacock thread IP? BTW, if you have issues with Purdue's defense, why don't you ask their DC ... his name Hudson. Heacock only led the top defense in the MAC ...you know that conference you all want to join. he is the DB's coach at Purdue and has received much praise for his teaching and ability to recruit the midwest and Florida (from his own head coach).

Also 0505, be fair Pitt was a worse football team than half of the MVFC last year. So take that game away & I do not see much improvement by W over any of his predecessors.

Again the point is, IMO, we are no better off now ...after 4 seasons. Soup said it best. You brag about Wolf's great players ...but what have they done? There is no football IQ. The difference between NDSU and YSU.

We are MUCH better than 4 years ago. Are you crazy? Wolf has increased in wins every single year he's been here. You talk about how he can't recruit. Hmm Martin Ruiz is a pretty good player. Teven Williams, Andrew Williams, Bryan, Stubbs, Wheary, Caver, Nate Adams.  Wolf does wonders with the Offensive Live. You'll see next year. Not to mention all the talented transfers he's brought in. Things are so much better than Heacock left it. One loss to an FCS power in UNI does not change that. I believe in Wolford.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 01:40:23 PM by ysufan0505 »

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2013, 02:45:39 PM »
Wolf and heacock both stink. There that settles it. Each should stick to being assistant coaches. Neither is good enough to be a head coach at this level

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2013, 03:08:36 PM »

Nation.....I haven't read anyone here talk about how fantastic a coach Heacock was or wasn't (me included).  What we've all been saying was that preparation wise, Heacock blows Wolford out every single time, with arguably less talent and depth.  If, and I mean IF YSU loses these last 2 games....both coaches will have identical records in their first 4 years.  And according to you, it will be with identically stacked teams.  Heacock with Tressel leftovers and Wolford with his own guys who have supposedly provided better talent and depth than in the last decade.   I don't think anyone is questioning the talent he's brought in, but development-wise, sorry man this coaching staff is not getting it done.   Now, I will never question anyone's gripes with Heacock being around WAY to long, as I thought he should've never received an extenstion.

Back to Wolford, yesterday was the first time in nearly 4 years he actually admitted a loss was on him.  Whether he meant it or not....only he knows, but that was a great step forward, at least for me.  When it comes down to it, he is the Head Coach and a loss that happens because of a lack of preparation/focus or a lack of making a bold decision is strictly on him and no one else.  I don't care what anyone says.

I would like to add a caveat to this, I'm 100% behind Wolford and this team.  I hope they get their crap straight and play well.  Even though I'm his biggest critic, he has brought an err of excitement but at the end of the day, if there are no playoff runs.....he'll be a failure, just like Heacock.  And if he is the man he claims to be....when this season is over (regardless of what happens), he will tell Stollo, no contract extension discussions until next season.  Because let us not forget, Kurt Hess is a senior.  And there is no likely replacement at this time.

Soup,

There is frequent praise (and excuses) on this site of the man who nuked a proud FCS FB tradition.  Remember that the FB program was in decline after Heacock became HC, and that is why his contract never should've been renewed.  The combined record of Heacock's third and fourth seasons are 9-14 (4-10 Gateway), and with the Wolf it is 15-5 (9-4 MVFC).  Huge difference.  The program is improving under the Wolf.  It seems clear to me that Wolf is getting better results than Heacock by every measure, but I don't think Wolf is the best HC we've ever had.....maybe someday he'll prove to be better than Tressel and Narduzzi....but right now he's better than Heacock (who set the bar very low), and at least that is a step in the right direction.

On a slightly unrelated note, all but two of Purdue's opponents scored >30 points on them this year.  Wow and Ouch!  Hopefully the Purdue AD wont reward this woeful performance with a contract renewal!

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Spiderlegs

« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2013, 04:40:42 PM »
I think  they are in the playoffs already even if they lose all the games remaining. 8-4 is in the playoffs, period.

Paladin,

I don't share you view about the playoffs.  If SDSU wins its last two, YSU and SDSU end up 8-4.  To complicate this scenario, there's the possibility that Missouri State could end up with the second best record in conference play, even if it isn't playoff bound. It would be hard for the selection committee to justify picking YSU if it is fourth in the conference behind and behind a non-playoff team.

An additional complication: What is happening in other conferences. Some of the media darlings--Towson, Coastal Carolina, McNeese St., Sam Houston St.-- may end up with at large bids.

I do think the MVFC gets at least two representatives because of the strength of the conference. If SDSU loses at S. Dakota next week, which is indeed possible, then YSU is the second pick regardless what else happens the next two weeks.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2013, 09:17:58 PM »

1AA-this thread developed into a Heacock thread because YOU mused how much "fun" it was to make the playoffs once in his 9-year tenure. And if you really think Pitt was worse than half of the MVC teams last year, you're more delusional than originally thought.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2013, 10:11:50 PM »
Some of you are missing the point on playoffs. YSU owns wins over some still in contention for the playoffs. It won't be the conference record but the overall. YSU finishes no worse than 8-4 right now. If you are a 7-5 team and beat YSU, YSU still has the better record. With 24 teams coming in and the losses being racked up by many teams, the overall will be a heavy factor on who gets in. However, I expect one win in the last two to finish 9-3, much better than I expected pre-season. 7-5 was my outlook. Check the records--

http://valley-football.org/                                                                                                   
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 10:14:59 PM by paladin »

ValleyTalk

« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2013, 10:24:51 PM »
Oh really? Pretty sure we beat NDSU when they were #1 just 2 years ago at their place. Who is to credit for that? Certainly not Wolford right because we are no better off now than when Heacock was the coach...

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2013, 11:34:13 PM »
Oh really? Pretty sure we beat NDSU when they were #1 just 2 years ago at their place. Who is to credit for that? Certainly not Wolford right because we are no better off now than when Heacock was the coach...

Which team won the national championship 2 years ago & which had Thanksgiving at home once again. Shall we credit the cook? Pun intended. Wolf can still win the final two regular season games and impress me. they are now must-win games.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2013, 07:19:46 AM »
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio – North Dakota State took its West Coast passing game up a notch on the toughness chart Saturday afternoon. The fullbacks and tight ends figured prominently in the 35-17 win over Youngstown State at Stambaugh Stadium.

Senior tight end Kevin Vaadeland had four receptions and two touchdowns and sophomore fullback Andrew Bonnet had three catches and a touchdown. That kind of production wasn’t by accident in the Bison clinching the Missouri Valley Football Conference title.

“We had some schemes drawn up,” Vaadeland said. “We knew they were going to play the run hard, so we thought we could get open out in the flat.”

Vaadeland’s catch-to-touchdown ratio this season is out of this world. He now has 12 receptions with half of those being scoring plays.

“You can’t go wrong with that,” he said.

Bonnet started NDSU’s scoring with a 3-yard touchdown reception in the first quarter that tied the game at 7-7. The 6-foot-3, 246-pound fullback pushed a defensive back away with ease on his way into the end zone.

Of his 33 receiving yards, a bunch were accomplished with Penguin defensive players on his back.

“It’s always fun throwing it to No. 46 out there,” said Bison quarterback Brock Jensen. “You never know if he’s going to hurdle a guy or run over the top of him and step on his chest. It’s pretty fun to watch him get the ball in the open field. He’s very athletic and a very tough kid.”

Jensen said the Bison offensive coaches saw some things on film that lent itself to using the tight ends and fullbacks more.

“We haven’t used them as much as we would have liked this year, and to get them back in the mix feels really good,” Jensen said.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 09:10:46 AM by penguinpower »