Author Topic: Fire Tresy  (Read 56470 times)

Offline A Penguin-Husky

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Tresy
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2013, 12:18:52 PM »
We have a mentally special needs person in our family.  Brain damaged at birth and then hit by car 30 years later.  To call anyone a "retard" is offensive to me and my wife and should be to any person with a sense of decency.  People that use terms like this should be required to spend time working with special needs children and then maybe, just maybe, these people would understand how lucky they are to have opportunity to live a "normal" life and then use that life in a positive manner. 

Really amazes me how posters here can get so carried away over games that in the end do nothing to change that posters life one iota.

Rant over and everyone have a nice day.  Enjoy what you have.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2013, 12:54:14 PM »
I didn't know being 5-1 and undefeated in the conference so far mediocre?......

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2013, 01:24:25 PM »
Some things to keep in mind about Tresey.  Based upon the time that he was hired, he has only had input into one recruiting class.  So only the true freshmen and a few jucos are "his."  He is basically playing with what he inherited.  Perhaps his choice of schemes are limited by the quality of the personnel.

Also, before Tresey arrived, our defense could not stop either the run or the pass.  Now we are 50% better.  Is that good enough?  Hardly, but we must wait until he gets enough of "his" talent to make an accurate judgment about his abilities.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2013, 08:08:26 PM »
So why do we play so soft when the game is on the line?  #8 had the pick in is hands to salt it away.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2013, 08:16:05 PM »
We missed out on 2 pics in that final Uni drive.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2013, 08:18:32 PM »
I would also like to add that I would prefer to watch a team like the 2001 team that had no offense but a  fantastic defense and hald the eventual national champion WKU to 13 points. YSU scored only 7 that game, but that is a better game to me even if the offense was inept.
Okay, you go ahead and ask for an inept offense just so we can have an above average defense... Why don't you go complain to Strollo that you want Heacock back?

5-1 and all you do is complain.
Don't think it has not already been said Valley. Coach H's 10-years were a lot more fun to watch than the past 4.
This terrible loss aside, your love affair with Heacock is a total embarrassment to this website

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2013, 08:19:53 PM »
I wonder what our 3rd down conversion percentage was on defense. They converted a critical 3rd downon the last drive that put them into field goal range. How could we allow that?

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2013, 08:29:31 PM »
I wonder what our 3rd down conversion percentage was on defense. They converted a critical 3rd downon the last drive that put them into field goal range. How could we allow that?

Probablly not as bad as the 3rd down conversion on Offense  :o

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2013, 09:56:31 PM »
I would also like to add that I would prefer to watch a team like the 2001 team that had no offense but a  fantastic defense and hald the eventual national champion WKU to 13 points. YSU scored only 7 that game, but that is a better game to me even if the offense was inept.
Okay, you go ahead and ask for an inept offense just so we can have an above average defense... Why don't you go complain to Strollo that you want Heacock back?

5-1 and all you do is complain.
Don't think it has not already been said Valley. Coach H's 10-years were a lot more fun to watch than the past 4.
This terrible loss aside, your love affair with Heacock is a total embarrassment to this website

IP: I am old enough to have seen every coach we have ever had & Heacock is #3 on my list. Real close to being #4. BTW I do not remember Beede, so coach H could even be #5. The comparison to coach H is to demonstrate just how poor I believe we have it now.

Funny because if I remember correctly, you were one of those attacking me when I called for coach H to be canned very early on. So who is embarrassing?

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2013, 11:12:47 PM »
1-AA, the bottom line is this...whether Wolford is the answer or not, Heacock was given MORE than enough time to produce here and failed. One playoff appearance in 9 years is a failure at this school, especially following Tressel. And I was completely behind his hiring when Tressel left. My point is you are compounding failures in the Wolford era by pining for Heacock. Heacock failed. Do you think they'll give Wolford 9 years to make the playoffs once? Heacock is a great defensive coach...he simply wasn't head coach material. Which has nothing to do with whether Wolford succeeds or fails. Making it sound like the Heacock era was "the good old days" is simply not true. Declining attendance and subpar football made his exit a necessity. Wolford may face the same fate. We shall see.

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2013, 11:24:35 PM »
They probably will give Wolf 7 or 8 years to make the playoffs but not 9. Point is as much as YSU talks about the high standards they have for winning they don't do anything about it.  YSU was extremely lucky when they got Tressel. They never won much before or after him. They had an opportunity to take the program to the next level in the 90's. The program has been stagnant for the last 15 years. YSU is just a mediocre program playing at a mediocre level of football.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2013, 11:46:51 PM »
Heacock turned fans away from the program. The reason for the empty seats at the games is on him more than anyone else. His recruiting stunk and despite his good defense, he failed to get it done here. End of story.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2013, 02:44:17 AM »
The bottom line is also this. Coach H gave us a chance to win EVERY time we played. If we were having a bad year, we knew it. That happened too often. Heacock waited too long to change our offense to the spread offense that the rest of the conference was using. People's constant attacking of his recruiting is now, and always has been unjustified; as evidenced by the fact that his remaining players have dominated this team for the past 4.75 seasons.

Coach Wolf  has completely changed this program to an offense-first program. It is a style of football that no one in the Valley likes, but will accept if we can win. We are not winning & we do not beat any quality MVFC opposition.  Wolf is 4-8 against ranked conference teams going into this season ...and 3 of the 4 wins were against teams that ended up with losing records by season-end, they were simply over-rated. I expect this to be better after this season.

We can have any defensive coordinator that you like, but as long as we operate with this offense ...we have no chance for a traditional YSU defense. For a former lineman, I cannot believe how shallow Wolf's teams are on both sides of the ball. Look at today ...UNI blitzed at-will against us. We were simply out-played in every facet of the game. It all started with terrible line play. Our defense was exhausted because they were on the field too much and we were completely out-coached. We have no ball-control offense ...no power game. We were running off-tackle power sweeps with a couple of scat-backs.

Spiderlegs

« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2013, 06:23:20 AM »
Way too early to talk about the collapse of YSU football. Nothing much changed today in terms of the playoff picture, but the last two games, especially the SDSU game, have grown in importance.

UNI game was the classic YSU meltdown in all phases of the game. The anomaly was YSU's 4th quarter TD. This team obviously lost its focus at half time--usually the let up happens in the 2nd quarter. My suspicion about YSU teams under Wolford is that they run a lot on emotion but lack discipline--once the emotion of the game wears off, the team melts down. They got in the lockroom, relaxed because they were leading, and then couldn't get back into gear when they came out.

Given the total breakdown, I can't blame Tresey singlehandedly for the loss. However, the pass defense has been problematic all season and he needs to be held accountable for this.

Too early to give up on this team, though. It seems to learn from its mistakes, except maybe the pass defense. Don't plan to buy your Christmas tree on Nov. 30--you have a game to go to.

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2013, 09:09:35 AM »
Wolf has upgraded the talent level considerably on the offensive side of the ball. He needs to recruit better defensive players and something has to change with the defensive coaching staff.  i'm not just talking about Tressey. They need to look at coach Sims, Stoops and every defensive coach.

Bottom line is if coach Wolford's philosophy remains that the offense is responsible for winning games he will never be a successful head coach.  At the end of the day this football team is not well coached or disciplined.  There are things going on now that were issues four years ago that have not be corrected.

My fear is that Strollo is going to offer Wolford a nice contract extension and we all know that YSU will not fire a coach until the contract expires because they can't afford to or are afraid to which means we will be stuck with Wolf for several more years much like we were stuck with heacock for too many years.It is time for a new AD.