Author Topic: Where are they now? Former YSU men's basketball coaches  (Read 3156 times)

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Where are they now? Former YSU men's basketball coaches
« on: August 13, 2013, 10:45:02 AM »
I saw a note this morning that Jim Cleamons was named an assistant coach with the Milwaukee Bucks. 

This got me thinking as to where are the other former YSU men's basketball head coaches:

Mike Rice is an announcer for the Portland Trail Blazers. 

John Stroia is the general manager of The Fieldhouse in Merrillville, Indiana.  We drove past the facility a few weeks ago and I had no idea Coach Stroia was involved

http://www.thefieldhouse-merrillville.com/contact-us------staff-directory.php

Dan Peters is Director of Basketball Operations at Akron

John Robic is an Assistant Coach at the University of Kentucky.

I knew of these, but not all.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Where are they now? Former YSU men's basketball coaches
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 01:41:23 PM »
Indy, that would be pretty much it for head coaches, I believe all others are deceased especially considering how long Dom Rosselli coached. Now as far as assistants go, I think several are still coaching including Derek Kellogg, who is head coach at UMass. Rumor has it we may be on their schedule this year!

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Where are they now? Former YSU men's basketball coaches
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 02:21:41 PM »
IP - the assistant coaches would be a lot harder to track down.  :)

I do know that former assistant from the Stroia years, Jayson Gee, was named head coach at Longwood of the Big South.  I hope Jayson does well - always a great guy would spend time talking with us.  A class act.

A game with UMass would be great.  A home and home or even a 2 for 1 would be better.  I believe UMass has to play 4 MAC teams a year (2 home, 2 away) as part of their MAC football arrangement.  Getting a game here when they have to play at Kent or Akron would be good for us and theoretically help them with travel with a two game road trip.