Author Topic: Women's Horizon League Tourney  (Read 7429 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Women's Horizon League Tourney
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2013, 09:32:03 PM »
Nothing you can really say.  Everything malfunctioned.  We really miss Schegel against teams with size in the post.  The fact that shooting from Hornberger and Touvelle disappeared in the past week did not help either.  If you are looking for a silver lining, here it is.  If a big time program had Boldon on their radar, the blip just went out (at least for this year.)

Yeah and Flagg is really hesitant with her hand. Defense was really bad today. They just looked sluggish

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 10:44:29 PM »
This is only the second-time this entire season that I am disappointed in this team. However, I am VERY disappointed. Why is Bolden taking Slocum lessons, and always trying to establish the three? It has not happened in the last 4-games. Take a couple and move on. We should have blown LU out of this game. Instead, we stomped on  ...then blown out.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 11:30:50 PM »
YSU looked very sluggish. Guess that is what happens when playing short handed for so much of the season. Also, Loyola is a good team, and just played a solid game. Simone Law is one of the best players in the HL. Loyola has now won 11 of their last 13 games, with both losses against UWGB. The first time YSU played Loyola, the Ramblers were playing without Simone Law. Loyola without Simone Law is like YSU without Brandi Brown. And, a major reason Loyola got off to such a bad start in HL play is because Law missed the first 6 HL games due to a finger injury.

As for taking so many 3 point shots, most likely Loyola's defensive plan was to stop Brandi Brown at ALL costs. Make the other players beat them. YSU has players who have proven they can shoot effectively from beyond the 3 point line. Yes, Brandi is the POY, but trying to force the ball into her when double or triple teamed is not a sound basketball strategy. Also, the last thing you want is having a heavily guard laden team with players being told not to shoot when open. The problem with the game plan is that YSU was not making shots. Had YSU been making the outside shots, the middle would have then opened up, and it would have been a totally different game. So, at least to me, there was nothing wrong with the game plan or the shot selection, other than enough of the shots did not go into the basket.

And, on the defensive end, YSU just did not do good job of stopping Law, plus it seemed at times as if every shot Law put up, and even a few of the other players, was going to go in. Even the announcers made a comment about mid-way through the 2nd half that for Loyola, the rim looked like a big huge bucket, paraphrasing a comment made by Michael Jordan after one of his 40 or 50+ point games.

I think Loyola and YSU are about even. And, with YSU missing Heidi, and with Karen at less than 100%, Loyola is likely the better team. Most importantly, they were the better team TONIGHT. Congratulations to Loyola and best wishes in their game against GB. I believe that Loyola is deserving of a spot in the WNIT. Just not sure if the HL is a high profile enough conference to have 2 teams playing in the WNIT.

So, now the team gets some rest, and prepares for the WNIT. Does anyone know the chances of Heidi being able to play in the WNIT game next week?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 11:56:08 PM by Lets_Talk »