Author Topic: YSU to host game in CollegeInsider.com tournament  (Read 30453 times)

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU to host game in CollegeInsider.com tournament
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2013, 09:59:05 PM »
Agree 100% Go. It's pathetic the negative mentality people from Youngstown seem to have. I've traveled a lot of places and still consider Ytown home, but by God the negativity of anything positive. People wonder why Ytown has the problems that it does.

We were one of the worst basketball teams in America before Slocum took over. Now we have back-to-back winning seasons, and our first post season basketball appearance in Division I history. And people still nag at the negative. Good God, what is wrong with this area?

Ummm....

My two cents on this... AWESOME!! GooooGuinsss!!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 10:13:04 PM by ysubigred »

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2013, 10:12:22 PM »
Never heard of this tournament..... Ever
Good. Stay home.

I see you're still an asshat.  Do you have to make a smartass remark to everyone?
Yes I am still an asshat. And yes I make smartass remarks to those who earn them. Like you. Now go back to working on your truck.

Wow that one hurt.  You should have been banned a long time ago.  You contribute nothing to this board but insults to other posters.

LOL!! You know Ron get's a little cranky when you talk smack about the AD and the rest of the $$ troubles.

J.k.. IP love ya man...

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2013, 10:34:55 PM »
Never heard of this tournament..... Ever
Good. Stay home.

I see you're still an asshat.  Do you have to make a smartass remark to everyone?
Yes I am still an asshat. And yes I make smartass remarks to those who earn them. Like you. Now go back to working on your truck.

Wow that one hurt.  You should have been banned a long time ago.  You contribute nothing to this board but insults to other posters.
You're right actually, I should leave. But the problem then becomes people of your ilk and IQ are left to post and that exacerbates the problems. But you are right, I should go.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2013, 03:56:58 AM »
I am curious as to whether anyone knows how many people YSU will have to draw for the CIT game to recoup the money spent to host? I just went to the men's basketball page to check this season's attendance. Average announced attendance was 2,401.

YSU drew 3,000 or more for 2 games...3,108 against KENT and 4,395 for CSU. Attendance for the HL Tourney game against Loyola was 2,270.

I'm NOT bashing the team for playing in this tournament. Just curious if people that know more than myself have an idea what size crowd YSU will have to draw to break even, and if there is any type of special promotions planned for the game? Also curious as to what happens if YSU makes more than $35,000 from this game. Does the school keep the money? Does it go to the CIT. Or, does any profit from the game go to the HL, and then get distributed evenly among the league schools? Just interested on what is done with any profits made from individual games in this tournament.

Hope YSU does well, wins the home game, and would be really nice if they can get to the 3rd or 4th round.

ItalianPenguin, please do not stop posting. Despite what some people say, you add alot to this board. You get grumpy at times and can be a smart-a$$, but that usually happens when people warrant receiving a smart-a$$ response.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 04:13:04 AM by Lets_Talk »

Offline GoGuins2010

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2013, 09:21:58 AM »
Why are we so worried about YSU making a profit from this game? I would venture to so, none of the schools participating make a profit. Outside of a few college football bowl games, most schools take a huge hit by participating in them. Ohio University took a $100,000 hit by participating in the Idaho Potato Bowl two years ago. It was their first ever post season appearance, similar to YSU's here. OU's AD/President looked at it as an investment into their football program. I'm sure YSU does the game.

What we don't know is two things... How much does the Horizon League contribute, because the HL is contributing something to this. And did a booster step up to the plate and help pay the $35,000.

One think to take into consideration is: Butler back-to-back runs to the Final Four is benefitting YSU greatly. And this is paid off over time, not one large lump sum. So YSU is really just starting to rake in the financial benefits from their run into the tournament.

The typical Youngstown way of thinking is, how can we get $35,000 back in one game. It's not possible. Quite honestly, it's a stupid way of thinking. But if you look at the $35,000 as an investment, you know you'll get it back over time.

OU, Ken, Akron, JMU, Liberty, LA Tech, Valpo, UNI, Indiana State etc. paid the same amount of money to participate in the same tournament in years past. I'm sure if you ask any YSU basketball fan if they'd like to be more like those programs they'd say absolutely!

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2013, 03:12:16 PM »
I don't think anyone in the athletic dept. expects to make a profit. I believe they'd like to offset as much of it as they can by getting strong attendance at the game, and signing up some corporate sponsorships.

Offline GoGuins2010

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2013, 04:49:27 PM »
If anyone thinks YSU is really trying to make a profit off of this game, I have some up and coming property on the South-side of Youngstown I'll sell you for a great deal!

Lets_Talk

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2013, 07:11:38 PM »
GoGuins2010,

I am not worried about anything. Just asking questions that I find relevant and of interest. One of the questions happened to be whether the HL is paying part or all of the fee, a possibility you mentioned in one of your responses. And, if a person or persons have made a donation(s) in order for YSU to host this game, I say good for them, and it's nice to see that type of thing being done for YSU and the entire community.

Again, to me, it is a valid question. And, while YSU may not draw enough fans to recoup the $35,000, there may well be a few schools that are able to draw enough fans and bring in more than $35,000. I'm also interested in knowing what happens with any profit made, to have a better understanding of how the CIT handles this scenario. I highly doubt the people responsible for running the CIT are doing so to lose money on this venture. In the NCAA Tournament, money made by schools for playing in the tournament is typically divided equally among all conference members. Same usually happens in 1A/FBS football when teams make it to a bowl game. So, it is a relevant question.

I understand that making money is secondary to getting exposure and playing more games for YSU. But, at a time when there is so much talk about fiscal responsibility, and we hear so much about YSU not having the money to fund their sports programs at levels on par with other HL schools, asking where the money is coming from for this game is a valid question, at least in my opinion. I'm trying to learn more about the workings of the CIT, and the way one learns is by asking questions. Thus, I am asking questions, and hoping a person or persons may be able to give a factual answer, not a childish response.  :-\
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 07:17:00 PM by Lets_Talk »

Lets_Talk

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2013, 07:53:07 PM »
GoGuins2010,

One more thing. You might want to get your facts straight in regards to OU Football, especially if using OU football as an example. The Idaho Potato Bowl in the 2011 season was NOT the first bowl game in program history.

And, here is something else to consider. In OU's effort to become a major player in 1A/FBS football, it has resulted in the school cutting down to only 6 sports for men. The school offers 9 sports for women. So, an argument could be made that OU's large financial investment in football has NOT helped the athletic program, and while the football team is improved from the 80's, 90's and early 00's, they are far from becoming the next Boise State, or even a dominate team in the MAC. OU has essentially plateaued as an 8-9 win program in a good year, that goes to a bowl game most people do not have much or any interest in watching.

Here is the OU Bowl Game History, with the 2012 bowl game listed last:

1962 OU played West Texas State in The Sun Bowl...OU lost 15-14 and finished 8-3
1968 OU played in the Tangerine Bowl...OU lost 49-42 to Richmond, and finished 10-1
2011 season, OU beat Utah State 24-23 in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl and finished 10-4
2010 season, OU played in the R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl and lost 48-21 to Troy State ...OU finished 8-5
2009 season, OU played in the Little Ceaser's Bowl and lost to Marshall 21-17... OU finished 8-5
2006 season, OU played in the GMAC Bowl and lost 28-7 to Southern Miss...OU finished 9-5
2012 OU played in the AdvoCare V100 INDEPENDENCE BOWL, and beat LA-Monroe 45-14..OU finished 9-4

OU averaged just over 21,000 fans per home game in 2012. Yes, better than when they were at the bottom of the MAC, but nothing special for a 1A/FBS program

Sorry for taking the discussion off topic. I just get irritated when people use facts that are FALSE in a discussion when trying to make a point. It's not that hard to check info in the year 2013 when one has access to the internet... SMH  ::)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 02:28:31 AM by Lets_Talk »

Offline GoGuins2010

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2013, 10:32:06 PM »
My mistake I meant to say first bowl win in school history. But they had to pony up the cash to do it.

OU is closer to being a MAC football power than YSU is to winning a football national championship.

College athletics right now is an arms race. And right now YSU isn't leading in the spending category. It's nice to see the Butler Final Four run finally paying off.

YSU will need 5,000 people to break even. Won't happen. But minimizing the investment, like most teams who play in a college football do, helps the cause.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2013, 02:17:45 AM »
GoGuins2010, it is okay, we all make mistakes. I actually left the 2011 Idaho Poyato Bowl out of the original post when listing OU's bowl history. Had to go back and edit the post to make it accurate. Ooops :-[ .

Also, I did not realize OU had won bowl games in each of the last 2 years until checking their past schedules. Easy to understand how you mistakenly typed first appearance instead of first win in a bowl game. And, so you know, I think it is great YSU is playing in the CIT. Think it is great they have a home game. This is the type of tournament that if YSU plays to their potential, they could win more than 1 game.

I'm just interested in the inner workings of the tournament. Like you, I doubt YSU will make money directly off this game. But, it would be nice if the athletic department can recoup as much of the $35,000 as possible. And, as Slocum said, there are alot of teams that are finished with their seasons, while YSU still has games left to play. This means more games for the players, more YSU basketball for fans that follow YSU, and it will help give the school exposure and hopefully help with recruiting. I do think at a few schools in areas where basketball is very popular might be able to get large enough crowds to make a profit. I'm interested to know what happens in that case. I could be wrong, but I believe in the FCS playoffs, and money a school makes on a playoff game from ticket sales in excess of the fee payed to host the game goes to the NCAA.

You are also right about college sports being an arms race. It really is getting ridiculous.

Sorry for rambling, and hope there are no hard feelings.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 02:32:19 AM by Lets_Talk »

DefendYoungstown

« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2013, 06:10:51 PM »
Why You Should Attend YSU Men's Basketball's Historic Home Game Tuesday Night In Youngstown:

http://philkidd.blogspot.com/2013/03/why-you-should-attend-ysu-mens.html

Offline GoGuins2010

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2013, 06:29:29 PM »
Sigh, an article telling YSU fans why they should attend a basketball game... That's not embarrassing or anything... SMH

DefendYoungstown

« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2013, 06:51:31 PM »
It's not an article telling YSU fans why they should attend. It's an article for everyone else telling them why they should attend. I just thought I'd share it with this forum. Having read this thread and based on the last comment, maybe that was a mistake...

By the way, I'm not sure what the percentage is but a portion of the $35k hosting fee is being underwritten by local sponsors (per Rob Schmidt).

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2013, 09:49:49 PM »
Nice read, facts are facts, need a loud crowd.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne