Author Topic: YSU Wins Third Game in Five Days Beating Valpo, 72-50  (Read 4810 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
YSU Wins Third Game in Five Days Beating Valpo, 72-50
« on: March 05, 2013, 11:34:45 AM »
The Youngstown State women's basketball team capped a key three-game homestand winning for the third consecutive time beating Valparaiso 72-50 on Thursday night at the Beeghly Center.

The victory clinches no worse than a second-place tie for the Penguins who improve to 21-7 for the year and 11-4 in the Horizon League. A YSU win at Detroit on Thursday or a Loyola loss in either of its final two games clinches a second-place finish for the Guins, who were picked eighth in the preseason league poll. Valpo drops to 9-19 and 4-11.

Highlighting "Senior Night" were numerous players, but the one the fans enjoyed the most was at the 16:00 mark of the second half when Brandi Brown's spinning layup gave her more than 2,000 points for her YSU career. She finished the contest with 18 points after averaging 40.5 the previous two contests.

Monica Touvelle and Shar'Rae Davis both made sure Brown and fellow senior Devan Matkinwent out seniors for the final regular-season home game. Touvelle finished with 20 points while Davis had 18. The two combined to knock down nine 3-pointers, including a career-high six treys by Touvelle.

The Crusaders threatened to make a game of it in the second half cutting their eight-point deficit to 38-34 in the opening minute of the second half. But the Guins responded with a 12-1 run over a four-minute span to push the lead back up to 46-31.

Valpo was able to get back within 10 points at 46-36 with 12:44 left and the was the closest it could get the remainder of the night.

Leading 50-38, the Guins put the contest away by scoring 13 consecutive points from the 8:52 mark to 6:20. Thompson started the run with a basket, Ashley Lawson knocked down a 3-pointer from the corner, Davis followed with a three, Brown scored a bucket and Touvelle rounded out the run canning a 3-pointer. YSU's biggest lead was 63-38 with 6:20 left in the game.

For the Penguins, seven players scored and they shot 44.1 percent making 26-of-59 shots. Valpo made 19-of-44 shots (43.2) and was led by Shaquira Scott who had 14 points.

In the first half, YSU relied on its guards to build a lead. Davis and Touvelle each scored 12 in the first half. Touvelle connected on four 3-pointers.

The Crusaders did a good job to stymie Brown allowing just six points. But the Guins connected on six 3-pointers while Valpo missed on all six attempts form beyond the arc.

YSU's biggest cushion of the first half was 27-12 following a Touvelle 3-pointer at the 7:43 mark. Touvelle's triple capped a 10-0 spurt by the Guins that extended the lead from 17-12 to 27-12 in a span of 4:21.

The Crusaders answered by scoring six straight points to get the lead back into single figures. Valpo pulled within 34-26 at halftime.

Valpo shot 48 percent making 12-of-25 shots and held a 16-9 advantage on the boards. YSU made 12-of-27 attempts, for a percentage of 44.4.

The Penguins close out the regular season with a contest at Detroit on Thursday. Tipoff at Calihan Hall in the Motor City is set for 7 p.m.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: YSU Wins Third Game in Five Days Beating Valpo, 72-50
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 11:46:43 AM »
Hard to believe this is coming down to our last game. I have read two things:

1. If we end up in a tie with Loyola, they win the #2.

2. I also heard that if Loyola loses either of their last two games, no matter what we do Thursday, we have the #2.

What does everyone else understand to be true?

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 02:47:32 PM »
1-AA you are right on both counts

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 02:50:24 PM »
Our magic number is "1" with three games left on the league schedule: YSU at Detroit, Loyola at Green Bay and at UIC.  A favorable outcome in any of these games leaves YSU alone in second place.

If all three games have an unfavorable outcome, Loyola would win the tie-breaker based upon their victory over #1 Green Bay.  I just don't see Green Bay taking a night off against Loyola.  They struggled in a close win in Chicago, so I believe they will be focused and highly motivated.  Thursday's game against Loyola will also be the last regular season home appearance for four Green Bay starters.  They are now ranked in some polls and very eager to maintain that honor.  And, of course, they are thinking ahead to their seeding in the NCAA tournament.  Even if we lose to Detroit, I expect that we will have secured second place and that WNIT berth by about 10:00 on Thursday evening.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 03:48:38 PM »
In looking at the WNIT by-laws:

A team that is offered an automatic berth by the WNIT shall be the team that is a.) the highest-finishing team in its conference’s regular-season standings, and b.) is then not selected for the NCAA Tournament.

I think we are all presuming that Green Bay wins the post-season tournament and the automatic berth to the NCAA tournament.  I think we are also presuming that even if Green Bay somehow gets upset, they would get an NCAA at-large.

But, in the event say, Detroit, wins the Horizon League tournament and Green Bay does not get an at-large bid, then YSU does not get the WNIT bid, it goes to Green Bay, correct?

I do not profess enough to know for sure whether Greeen Bay is a lock for an at-large, even if they stumble the rest of the way.

Edit - I found two websites (one was ESPN) with projected Women's fields and Green Bay is shown as a 7 seed in each of those.  That would imply they could withstand a loss in the conference tournament.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 04:06:16 PM by ysuindy »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 04:16:32 PM »
Nobody is beating GB. I'm more worried about getting Schlegel and Flagg back for the tourney. We need both of them. Without them and we could be in trouble

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 05:44:44 PM »
Indy, darn you with your facts, just as I was feeling real good about the situation.  The scenario you describe would rob us of that bid.  But even then all might not be lost.  Green Bay is 19 in the Sagarin ratings and 21 in those featured on the NCAA website.  I think they can lose and get in, similar to Butler on the men's side several years ago.  Also, those WNIT bylaws state that a team must be at least .500 to be selected as an at-large entry.  That will eliminate "names" with big gyms and attendance like Texas, Wisconsin, Arizona, and Boston College.  Bylaws also state that an average of the power rankings would be the primary determinant of at-large selections.  YSU is 97 in Sagarin, actually 60 in those on the NCAA website.  We might have a shot even if your doomsday scenario played out.  But I agree with 0505; nobody in this conference will beat Green Bay on their home floor.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 06:03:08 PM »
Loyola still has to play GB. While anything is possible, I doubt Loyola will beat GB. Thus, the odds are very high that YSU will finish in 2nd place outright. What a great job this team has done all season, and even more so in this 3 game home stand. Yes, Brandi was phenomenal, but basketball is still a TEAM game. Who would have ever thought we would be talking about a 2nd place finish and WNIT bid even 6 months ago?

In listening to the post game comments of Coach Boldon, having Karen and Heidi for the Detroit game is unlikely. But, it seemed the likelihood of having at least one of the 2 players back for the tournament is quite good. With Heidi and Karen healthy, YSU ought to be able to make it to the HL Championship Game. Will be hard to beat GB in GB though. We are talking about a top 25 team in GB. I do not see ANY team in the HL beating GB at GB. Also, as of now, ESPN has GB projected as a 7 seed in the NCAA Tournament. So, if by some chance they were to lose in the HL Tournament, they would most likely get an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament. We are talking about a perennial Top 25-40 program in GB, and as of now, GB is 20th in both the AP and Coaches polls, and has an RPI of 21.... YSU is 59th in RPI... With both Karen and Heidi playing, it is not unreasonable to see YSU winning a game in the WNIT, provided they do indeed make the WNIT.

No matter what happens the rest of the season, this has been a great season. First for the team, and then for Brandi. Throw in 2 major articles on ESPN.com in the course of 7-10 days, and it's safe to say that at least for now, the top program at YSU is Women's basketball. Great season, and hope they can keep it going. This is a very fun team to watch!!!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 06:29:54 PM by Lets_Talk »

Lets_Talk

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 06:18:55 PM »
FYI, here is the link I use for RPI projected ratings. Just so you know my source, and in case others are interested in this site. They have RPI for both mens and womens basketball. I think it is a very nice and informative site, but that is just me.  :)

http://www.warrennolan.com/basketballw/2013/index