Author Topic: Jerry Slocum  (Read 16019 times)

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Jerry Slocum
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 07:03:51 PM »
Hey IAA-

Strollo has upgraded the facilities but any other AD would have done that as well we had to do it. 
As for the missed free throws the coach is to blame because he plays these guys all game all season and they are burned out, nothing left in the tank.  That also explains the poor field goal shooting as well.   Finally, why should the coaching staff have to yell accross the court to foul when it should have been instructed to do so at the time-out prior to that.   Ask the players they are tired.  Students behind the hoop who know the players say they are tired of playing all of those minutes and need help from other teammates but Slocum is set in his ways.  This guy just sucks at game day coaching period!!!!

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 07:09:48 PM »
Last time I seen hot potato offense was in 8th grade and now with YSU.  Did you notice that for years everytime we call a time-out to run a play at the end of the game it ends up to be total crap and out of control with a wild shot and a prayer.   But he is a great coach to some of yens.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2013, 07:15:17 PM »
News Alert-I think we just signed three more guards for next year hoping one will play center and bring us to the promised land. 

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2013, 09:39:49 PM »
Last time I seen hot potato offense was in 8th grade and now with YSU.  Did you notice that for years everytime we call a time-out to run a play at the end of the game it ends up to be total crap and out of control with a wild shot and a prayer.   But he is a great coach to some of yens.

Yes! Totally agree

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 02:58:27 PM »
Hey IAA-

Strollo has upgraded the facilities but any other AD would have done that as well we had to do it. 
As for the missed free throws the coach is to blame because he plays these guys all game all season and they are burned out, nothing left in the tank.  That also explains the poor field goal shooting as well.   Finally, why should the coaching staff have to yell across the court to foul when it should have been instructed to do so at the time-out prior to that.   Ask the players they are tired.  Students behind the hoop who know the players say they are tired of playing all of those minutes and need help from other teammates but Slocum is set in his ways.  This guy just sucks at game day coaching period!!!!

Good points Pride, I just do not see it the same way. Tressel never had to do any of this, he just had to keep a good football team, and was able to finesse the schedule a bit as AD. There were no money game$, and he had to do nothing with on-campus facilities, outside of field maintenance and track turf replacement. He had to keep up the agreements with Cene and McCune. Strollo had to take monies and upgrade all of the coaching staff $$$$ ...especially football. He had to negotiate monies to contribute to Cafaro (Eastwood); replace the Ice Castle turf twice, expanded tailgate facilities, added WATTS, was the major force for the Rec Center, and the new Dorms. Now we have a new outdoor track, soccer field, and softball field coming on board. He has had wonderful football schedules (in terms of $$) without sacrificing our home games. In short Strollo has been a driving force behind making YSU into a legit DI university. This requires a large number of benefactors, which he has increased.

Yes, we can blame him when a coach does not work out, but the vast majority of his choices have been excellent.

I would like to see more done on football game day, related to the game itself. When is the last time we had a fly-over?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 03:00:53 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2013, 06:03:24 PM »
Being a former member of the 910th AW Public Affairs office.  I can tell you it's not as easy as one might think to get a flyover.  The one I was a part of came off in the last minute as direct result former Congressman Traficant's efforts.  There is a lot of paperwork and red tape involved.  Sometimes it takes months in advance to get the proper paper work filed.  My advice is for YSU to contact the 910th AW Public Affairs Office to get the wheels in motion for that type of event. and do it soon if in fact that is what you want for next season's opener or any other game. If you're going to do this I would also advise invited the 910th honor guard to do the pre-game festivities, recruiters, and a singer from the base to sing the National Anthem.  Also, see if you can make it an Air Force Reserve Appreciation Day, and invite the base's reservists for a discouted price on tickets sold at the base.  Believe me for the 1997 game against Kent St.  -(YSU 44-23) winners-it was a beautiful event for those of you that can remember and were there!  I was on the field taking photos for the event!  One of the best days of my life being a YSU grad (1984) and AF reservist. (1984-2009).

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 06:05:58 PM »
Also, that year we had Air Force Reserve night for YSU basketball against Oral Roberts.  YSU won that game as well If I remember correctly.  Dan Peters was the coach.

Offline GoGuins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2013, 11:23:25 PM »
Being a former member of the 910th AW Public Affairs office.  I can tell you it's not as easy as one might think to get a flyover.  The one I was a part of came off in the last minute as direct result former Congressman Traficant's efforts.  There is a lot of paperwork and red tape involved.  Sometimes it takes months in advance to get the proper paper work filed.  My advice is for YSU to contact the 910th AW Public Affairs Office to get the wheels in motion for that type of event. and do it soon if in fact that is what you want for next season's opener or any other game. If you're going to do this I would also advise invited the 910th honor guard to do the pre-game festivities, recruiters, and a singer from the base to sing the National Anthem.  Also, see if you can make it an Air Force Reserve Appreciation Day, and invite the base's reservists for a discouted price on tickets sold at the base.  Believe me for the 1997 game against Kent St.  -(YSU 44-23) winners-it was a beautiful event for those of you that can remember and were there!  I was on the field taking photos for the event!  One of the best days of my life being a YSU grad (1984) and AF reservist. (1984-2009).

Thanks for your service, my first year at YARS was 1997 and I went to the Kent game.  If I remember right it was a sellout.  I'm retiring May 1 after almost 16 years at YARS, 4 years active duty before that.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2013, 06:11:46 AM »
Thank you, same to you my friend! 

Offline CamKrist

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2013, 06:39:33 AM »
I decided to give a hand and sent a post into social bookmarks. I hope the popularity will rise in.
I'm on Twitter and my essay

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2013, 10:41:15 AM »
1AA, I agree Strollo has been a driving force in upgrading our facilities which are 1st rate for a university of our size.  But what good are empty facilities?  Football attendance will drop this year due to the performance last year, the tailgate lots are half empty, basketball games are empty, and the only people who attend baseball, softball, soccer and olympic sports are the players friends and family.

The only successful coaching hire (potential money generating sports) is the current girls basketball coach, all others have not lived up to hype.

If you win, make the playoffs people will come.  You will not need a money game and a loss (exception of last year when Pitt did not take us seriously) the money will come from attendance, merchandise, gifts, etc. (remenber when both local malls had YSU stores).

I travel a lot around the country and proudly wear my penguin gear.  Our university has no recognition anymore.  It used to be that someone would see you in a YSU sh** and come over and talk football.  Most people across the country do not even know we exist anymore.

I believe the university would be better served by an AD the put emphases on winning for the major (money generating) sports.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2013, 03:07:38 PM »
Those are great points dwj. However, now you are talking title-IX ...something we all know is a joke. A new AD would have the same problems. It is Strollo's connections that give him the advantage in this case. He knows where to come up with funds. I just see his good fairly-far out weighing the bad.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2013, 12:37:44 PM »
Yes, we can blame him when a coach does not work out, but the vast majority of his choices have been excellent.

Your definition of a vast majority must be different than mine, or you have forgotten the names Hill, Martin, Burrows and Pasquale among others.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2013, 04:32:52 PM »
I guess we could go back to the 7-21 seasons, but this program has to take the next step forward.  Sub-500 seasons are going to cut it now!