Author Topic: Indy Star article on football recruit Nate Cox  (Read 2189 times)

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Indy Star article on football recruit Nate Cox
« on: February 07, 2013, 08:23:40 AM »
http://www.indystar.com/article/20130205/SPORTS02/302060343/Call-him-grandpa-Plainfield-s-Nate-Cox-25-signs-Division-program-after-five-years-Marines

Thousands of signatures whirred through fax machines to happy college football coaches on National Signing Day today. The large majority came from 17- and 18-year-old kids, just starting out on their own in the world.

Few likely share much in common with Nate Cox, other than the dream to play college football. Cox, 25, is a native of Plainfield who spent five years in the Marines, including a five-month deployment to Afghanistan. After two years of junior college football at Santa Ana (Calif.), Cox signed with Youngstown State on Wednesday.

"We affectionately call him Grandpa," Youngstown State coach Eric Wolford said. "He's a unique guy. Has tremendous leadership skills and likes to work hard. He is so much more mature than the majority of players we deal with. He's going to bring some leadership to our defensive line."

Cox was an admittedly immature teenager when he left the Midwest in 2005, turning to the military when he realized college life at Indiana State wouldn't be for him. Now he'll return to the Midwest as a war veteran with life experiences far beyond those of his college teammates.

"I've seen a lot of things most people probably haven't seen," said Cox, who was a sergeant in the Marines. "I was in charge of guys and had to put a foot in their butt once in a while. It was a brotherhood, a lot like football.

"I hear people compare football to battle or combat, but that's only because they haven't been there. It's not the same. But the camaraderie and leadership, those are things that apply from the military to football."

Cox was a good player in high school, named All-Mid-State Conference as a defensive end. But he wasn't recruited and, looking back now, realizes he was floating through life aimlessly. Though he was enrolled at Indiana State, he made what turned out to be a life-changing decision by signing up for basic training in San Diego.

"You knew if he could set his mind to something, he could get it done," said close friend Zach Jones, a former Plainfield teammate who started at Purdue as an offensive tackle. "School really wasn't his thing in high school. When he got to the military, it showed him some discipline. He's grown up. He's had people counting on him for their lives in the military. That'll change anybody."

Cox spent time in the Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand training his own troops and foreign forces in two separate deployments. He returned from the second one late in 2010 and wasn't expected to make the trip to Afghanistan. But volunteers were needed, Cox said, so he shipped off again.

For five months, he was involved in casualty evacuation -- or "dustoff" -- flying into battlefields and loading the injured on to helicopters.

"They teach everybody the basics like putting in an IV or applying pressure to a wound," he said. "You just try to help out anyway that you can."

Cox made it back to Southern California safely and after his five-year stint in the Marines, decided once again to pursue his degree and give football a chance. He was encouraged after a meeting with Santa Ana coach Geoff Jones.

"He knew my background and seemed genuine that he wanted me there," said Cox, who will turn 26 in May. "I didn't know where it would take me, but I wanted to give football a shot."

The 6-5, 260-pound defensive end made the most of it, becoming team captain as a sophomore and making 51 tackles, 8 1/2 for loss, including a team-high 6 1/2 sacks. Youngstown State was the first school to offer a scholarship.

"I liked how they pursued me," he said. "They were loyal. When I came out there for an official visit, I knew it was the right place. I knew I could make a good home there."

Zach Jones said he's proud of Cox, who he's known since fourth grade. In some ways, he's even a bit envious.

"I think he's learned to appreciate things a lot more," Jones said. "When I started playing at Purdue as a young kid, I wasn't thinking much about anything except what was happening that day. It's only when you get out that you appreciate all the friendships and connections.

"At his age, he can appreciate those things now."