Author Topic: Vindicator Story: _ Big things ahead for Covelli game?  (Read 9999 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Vindicator Story: _ Big things ahead for Covelli game?
« on: December 06, 2012, 01:02:44 AM »
Big things ahead for Covelli game?

By JOE SCALZO   scalzo@vindy.com   YOUNGSTOWN  If Jerry Slocum has his way, Saturday’s game against Hiram at the Covelli Centre could be the basketball equivalent of a plate of nachos before a steak dinner.
Source: Big things ahead for Covelli game?

Stories are brought to you by ysupenguins.com

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Vindicator Story: _ Big things ahead for Covelli game?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 02:15:23 PM »
I am boycotting the junk game tonight and again on December 29.  I will attend this game on Saturday as I hope that this indeed can evolve into something worthwhile.  Note that the parking is free and that the prices are actually less than they charge walk-ups for games on campus.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 04:40:32 PM »
I have no problem with tonights game, nor the other two non D-1's. When you're playing at GW, at Georgia, at Duquesne, at South Florida and Kent at home, a couple of breathers are OK. And remember, they'd be against lower echelon D-1 teams except we have no budget to pay for those games. Also, Butler's late exit and Ohio St's late cancellation of the game scheduled this year factored in to these games getting scheduled.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 07:43:03 PM »
I have no problem playing these games (d3) I do not like playing a "home" game somewhere other than home.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 10:08:07 PM by guinpen »
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 08:19:26 PM »
A home game to my way of thinking, should be a HOME game,
that being on YSU'S campus.

Here's what I don't get the drift of.  As I have been told (have
never been there yet) Covelli seats 6000.  YSU, seats 7000.
So where is the attraction to BIGGER COMPETITION to come
to Youngstown? Can't get the drift of this.  YSU has been here
IN EXISTENCE way longer than Covelli.  Bigger, better, WHY
are we doing this?  Does anyone have an explanation?

GO PENGUINS

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 09:40:42 PM »
You really think Ohio State, Notre Dame or ANY big school like that is coming here to play? Keep dreaming Slocum

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 09:22:24 AM »
I do not agree, and think it is something that all fans need to "pack the house" for. There are many reasons why, and here are a couple of the biggest:

1. Pita, as you said, YSU has been in existence for some time. People who attend games are going to attend games. Do we host any tournaments? Yet, with a growing downtown, YSU has chance to host a tournament, something that we are never going to be able to do on our own. Now it would be nice if the facility had a larger sponsor again (like GM) to throw their weight around; however, Covelli has revenues that we do not.

2. It is not only YSU, but a chance to bring the "sport" of basketball to Covelli. There are many named schools that will participate, for the right price, and that is an "NCAA-sanctioned" tournament. Maybe not OSU, but certainly many solid basketball schools will come. The bottom line is, YSU gets to add 3-games to their schedules ...ALL IN FRONT OF A HOME CROWD.

How about an Ohio-PA challenge? How about picking-up a sub-regional on a major tournament as well. I mean Duquesne did it? Who says it has to be YSU all of the time? What about some DIII clubs, or a local prep hoops tournament. Again ...bring the "sport" of basketball to Covelli.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 06:17:27 AM »
1AA Fan, I like your thinking on this issue. I think a better idea than dreaming of OSU, ND, PITT..etc is either go with what Wick250 suggested, with YSU playing 1 game at Covelli Center against an MAC team, with it being a men's/womens doubleheader. Or, go with your idea, and try and have a 4 team tournament for D2 or D3 schools. Plenty of D2 and D3 scchols within a 60-90 minute drive of Ytown. And, for these schools, playing in a place like Covelli Center would mean playing in a much bigger arena than usual. If marketed and promoted well, this type of event might be able to draw 2,000 - 2,500 per game, maybe even more. That would be 500 - 1,000 more than YSU drew for the game against Hiram(based on tickets sold)

I also agree with PITA, playing at Covelli Center is NOT a home game, and gives YSU no competitive edge against a decent opponent. Less seating that Beeghly, not built for basketball, and too far from campus, among other things. So, keep the YSU games at Beeghly, and then leave the scheduling and promoting of basketball at Covelli Center to Eric Ryan and Sam Covelli.

PS: As for Sam Covelli, his $10 MILLION gift to OSU could have been much better spent at YSU. Especially with YSU needing money for the softball/soccer/track complex, plus who knows what else. But, not as big of an ego boost to give the money to YSU, rather than have a building at OSU wth his name on it... SMH  :-[

« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 06:19:59 AM by Lets_Talk »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 10:36:42 AM »
PS: As for Sam Covelli, his $10 MILLION gift to OSU could have been much better spent at YSU. Especially with YSU needing money for the softball/soccer/track complex, plus who knows what else. But, not as big of an ego boost to give the money to YSU, rather than have a building at OSU wth his name on it... SMH  :-[

Yes ...that donation still aggravates me. I am not going to deny Covelli's contributions to YSU, but that is quite a large sum that could mean all the difference in the world to YSU.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 11:38:26 AM »
PS: As for Sam Covelli, his $10 MILLION gift to OSU could have been much better spent at YSU.

An OSU friend told me that in exchange for the 10 mil the Buckeyes will play the Guins at Covelli sometime in the next couple of years.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 12:17:47 PM »
We're supposed to play at O$U next season to make up for them cancelling this season's game. So maybe they come here the following season.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 01:29:43 AM »
Sorry if I got off topic with the mini-rant about Covelli. I understand the Covelli family does support YSU. Just seems to me, with Covelli headquarters being in Warren, and this area playing such a huge role in helping Sam Covelli earn large sums of money, he could have shown some appreciation by making a large donation to YSU. And, it is even more pertinent, considering YSU is still trying to raise funds for the athletic complex across the street from Stambaugh Stadium.

He gave $10 million to OSU. Well, in my opinion, he could have given say $3 million to YSU, or even $2 million, and then had $7-8 million to give to OSU. I'm thinking $7-8 million would still have been enough to get his name on the new arena at OSU, while also likely getting his name on the complex at YSU. End result is the facility at YSU gets most or all of it's funding, OSU still gets a large sum of money from Covelli, and BOTH schools make out in the process. OSU will have a much easier time raising the money needed for their new sports complex, than YSU will have raising the needed funding.

Will be nice gesture if OSU is willing to play a basketball game against YSU in Youngstown, but that is NOT going to bring in $10,000,000. For that matter, likely will not really bring in all that much money for YSU with game being played at Covelli Center. And, pardon my cynicism, but if the game is played at Covelli Center, then YSU will likely have to share some of the revenue with Covelli Center, and good ole Sam will get a huge ego boost as he will quite likely be mentioned as the person who made this game happen. Would be much more beneficial for YSU to have OSU play at Beeghly Center. The game would easily break the Beeghly Center attendance record, provide an amazing atmosphere, and give YSU a TRUE home court advantage against the Buckeyes. And, money wise, ALL of the money earned would go to YSU.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 01:33:07 AM by Lets_Talk »

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 08:11:21 AM »
Don't knock Covelli he has done plenty for the valley with all his businesses he has in the area.  He has given his share to the community as well.  I am all for a game at the Covelli Centre each year.  The Hiram game would have drawn less than 1,000 at home anyway.  The timeouts and halftime were better at the Covelli than at Beeghly.  Much better than watching the same stuff we do at home games for the past 15 years.  I always thought the entertainment at half and timeouts at Beeghly are  terrible.   We should play the braketbusters game at Covelli each year we host it. Go Guins!   

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 09:03:43 PM »
PS: As for Sam Covelli, his $10 MILLION gift to OSU could have been much better spent at YSU.

An OSU friend told me that in exchange for the 10 mil the Buckeyes will play the Guins at Covelli sometime in the next couple of years.

I hope that does NOT happen, would hate to have a large crowd rooting for osu and against YSU in Ytown
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 10:25:30 PM »
I agree with guinpen.  The place would be polluted with OSU creeps.  I would end up spitting on those lowlife, and I am getting too old to fight my way out of such circumstances.