Author Topic: YSU vs Kent  (Read 6516 times)

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU vs Kent
« on: November 25, 2012, 05:58:38 PM »
Any predictions?

Hopefully we'll get back to winning.
Home court should help a bit, that is,
IF, the crowd is supportive.

GO PENGUINS
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 06:13:08 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: YSU vs Kent
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 10:43:58 AM »
I would normally say that this is our year ...but after three-straight losses ...confidence is no longer there. I would think we are a match for Valpo, and they had a win over Kent. Add in the home factor and I like our chances.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 12:16:51 PM »
After watching the team this year, I still believe this is still primarily a 3 points shooting team. We are not very good in posting inside. We will win games if we can shoot 40% outside the arc and shoot 75% free throws. If we cannot do that, we will be at best a .500 team. Defense played well if the starters were not tired.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 12:19:09 PM »
Haven't posted much for the last week - visit back to Youngstown to Mom's means more family time and no internet access.  :)

Very disappointed with the three losses last week.  I had figured at least 2-1.  To me the problem with playing three games in three days is not necessarily fatigue, but the lack of practice time between games.  Any bad habits that the team fell in to are much more difficult to break without any practice time.

I am sure that the defensive deficiencies and the poor basketball judgement exhibited at times in the 3 losses has been addressed.  I hope the team can come out and correct them.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 02:16:28 PM »
I watched Kent dismantle Nebraska on tv last Saturday.  They are bigger and more athletic than we are.  They take it inside on every possession.  If Eargle gets in early foul trouble, it will be a long, long evening.  They also pressed Nebraska all over the court.  We don't match up well with this team at all.  Home court should help, and they might take us lightly. 

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 05:51:03 PM »
Hope this isn't deleted because it's sentiment more than sports.

YSUIndy....Have I ever met you.  Me being from the older (but younger
thinking) generation.  Give kudos to you for the appreciation of the
"Mom" visit.

Your contributions to our Penguin site have always been enjoyed by me.

Hope you enjoyed your visit back home.

Hope our BB team picks up the slack of the tourney in Pa..  I for one
happen to think Coach Slocum can bring it.

GO PENGUINS

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 12:52:37 PM »
Big game. Gotta come out from the tip and be aggressive. Especially with this one being at home

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 03:08:39 PM »

"Mom" visit.

GO PENGUINS

Pita - I do not believe we have met.  If we did, it was prior to the internet age and I doubt either of us would remember.

My attendance at YSU games has been very sparse since I moved out here in January 1997.  As my son has gotten older, it seems our trips back are less frequent and shorter in duration.  At times we are back during a YSU event, but an opportunity to spend time with siblings and cousins always trumps going to a game.  At times I get frustrated with the inability of some of my family members to make time to spend with us - I truly do not think anyone really values being around family until they are put in a position of living a day's drive from any close family - you learn to enjoy that time together.

As for Wednesday's game, I expect the focused, prepared team we saw at GW and UGA.  If that team shows up, we have a great chance - getting some favorable whistles would be nice too.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 09:17:49 AM »
Kent State enters tonight’s game at YSU with a 4-2 record.  The Golden Flashes are playing just their second road game of the season.

Kent has won home games against Drexel 66-62 (OT), Chicago State (92-63) and future YSU opponent Bethune Cookman (69- 68) and won at Nebraska 74-60.  Losses were at home to Temple (80-66) and Horizon League favorite Valpo (88-83 in OT).

A quick look at Pomeroy’s advanced stats show Kent excelling in offensive rebounds, creating turnovers and getting to the foul line.  In YSU’s poorer performances, keeping opponents off the offensive glass and getting in foul troubles have been major contributing factors.  Play hard and smart is a must. Conversely Kent is among the worst teams in defensive two point field goal percentage.

My morning paper has YSU as a 4.5 point favorite.

Pomeroy gives YSU a 67% chance of winning, projecting a 75-70 YSU win.  Massey has YSU with a 60% chance of winning and a 76-73 projection.  Massey and Pomeroy are both currently projecting YSU to finish 17-12, 9-7.  YSU is Pomeroy’s second ranked Horizon League team, Massey has YSU ranked fourth in the league. 

Sagarin has YSU ranked 128 overall, Kent ranked 129.  The home court advantage of four points is effectively the margin.  Sagarin’s Predictor Rankings have Kent ahead of YSU, but the home court advantage makes YSU a three point favorite.

Another tight game coming it appears.  All the analysis above indicates a 3 to 5 point YSU win in a relatively high scoring game.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 03:03:42 PM »

"Mom" visit.

GO PENGUINS

Pita - I do not believe we have met.  If we did, it was prior to the internet age and I doubt either of us would remember. My attendance at YSU games has been very sparse since I moved out here in January 1997.  As my son has gotten older, it seems our trips back are less frequent and shorter in duration.  At times we are back during a YSU event, but an opportunity to spend time with siblings and cousins always trumps going to a game.  At times I get frustrated with the inability of some of my family members to make time to spend with us - I truly do not think anyone really values being around family until they are put in a position of living a day's drive from any close family - you learn to enjoy that time together.

As for Wednesday's game, I expect the focused, prepared team we saw at GW and UGA.  If that team shows up, we have a great chance - getting some favorable whistles would be nice too.

You'd remember PITA!! Fan of all fan's and one hellofa toast giver!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 04:09:18 PM »
Any word on tix sales? We need a good crowd, I wish this was a weekend game. Nice interview with Damian Eargle mentioning he has never beaten Kent or Akron ...let's hope he gets his wish tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfLAlxRtmI0