Author Topic: Penguins @ Duquesne  (Read 3423 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Penguins @ Duquesne
« on: November 21, 2012, 07:23:09 PM »
We are being played like a violin. The Dukes are waiting 29-seconds before each shot. They are in the paint before we are every time on defense.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Penguins @ Duquesne
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 07:52:09 PM »
The video is very bad. Anyone else watching? We just seem to have no speed ...thus no rebounding of any kind. Also, the Dukes are open on very possession. It is like a game of horse ...no one covering them. on the flip side we shoot over top of a Duquesne player on every possession. So no rebound for us what so ever ..on offense. Webber and Hain do not play like freshman. Very nice.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 09:18:32 PM by IAA Fan »

Lets_Talk

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 11:19:41 PM »
There is NO excuse for losing all 3 games in Pittsburgh. The season is only 6 games old, and it looks already as if the starting 5 are running out of gas. The really sad part is that YSU likely has as good of a starting 5 as ANY team in the HL. As good or better of a starting 5 than ALL 3 of the teams they lost to in Pittsburgh. But, it is asking alot for those 5 players to log 30-35 minutes every game. Especially when playing 3 games in 3 days.

I totally agree with comments made on the JMU and NDSU threads about players not getting better by sitting on the bench. The younger players apart from the starting 5 can only get better by getting some QUALITY minutes in games. Also, this enables the 5 starters to get valuable rest during a game. I'm not buying that the non starters are so bad that they are not deserving of more minutes.

Coach Slocum likely has forgotten more about basketball than ALL of us who post on this board have ever known. So, I'm at a loss as to why he and the staff cannot find a way to get 3-4 players that can come off the bench and each play 10-15 productive minutes per game. Does not even have to be the same 3-4 players every game. If someone is on scholarship at a school in one of the top 12-14 conferences in the country, and cannot play 10-15 minutes, then what are they doing with a basketball scholarship? Especially on a team that has hopes of being a top 4 team in said league?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 12:15:53 AM by Lets_Talk »

Offline Wonderball

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 08:20:01 AM »
If the reserves had been given more minutes in the first 2 games we might have been able to have legs last night. They obviously are more capable than we knew. All of the other teams we played shared a lot more minutes and had fresher legs than we did. KP will be targeted every game and he has to help himself by sharing a bit more to open shooters. In crunch time last night he was just trying to do too much and it didn't work. It is early enough for the team to get a lot better and I believe they will. We have 2 very good looking freshmen who will just improve with playing time.

Offline southbeach

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 10:23:29 AM »
I saw all three games in Pittsburgh and what was lacking from game one to game three was effort on defense. There was very little. I to believe that coach should go deeper into the bench not for the sake of fatigue but I believe they are good enough to contribute. If a  18-20 kid cannot play 30+ minutes of basketball a day then there is something wrong with the conditioning program.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 11:49:59 AM »
One thing that was obvious ..refs really keyed on Eargle. I hope Damian realizes that he he did not commit several of those fouls and keeps up with his style of play near the basket. We will have the top shot-blocker in the nation, by the end of the season.

What a wonderful person he is as well. He represents the valley as well as anyone.