Author Topic: YSU v NDSU GDT (game day thread)  (Read 9733 times)

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU v NDSU GDT (game day thread)
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 06:28:38 PM »
Wow - just got back to watch last minutes.  YSU got down 4 and NDSU was hitting free throws until the last two.  No Guinis with more than 3 fouls.  NDSU top player Braun has fouled out.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 06:36:05 PM »
Going to need another miracle finish.  Down 77-72 with 44.5 left.  YSU scored the first four oints of overtime and looked to have all the momentum, but Bison have drilled in three triples in OT.

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 06:47:53 PM »
83-80 win   ndsu    they tried to choke it away

Ysu looked to be  the better team  but defense wins games and felt couldnt miss 3's....

You guys will have a great year
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 06:52:03 PM by lakesbison »

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 06:50:48 PM »
YSU loses 83-80.   Tough loss - knew YSU wasn't going 29-0, but thought the Guins were in control when they scored first four points of overtime. 

Some stats that jump out:

Only 5 bench points and 5 bench rebounds in 45 minutes of play - 1 for 9 from the field.  I noted in the preview thread that someone on the bench needed to step up - didn't happen today. 

Got back to even on the boards at 47 and limited NDSU to 4 offensive boards in the second half, but the 9 NDSU offensive boards in the first half made that 7 point deficit at the half too much.

NDSU blocked 8 YSU shots.

Only 6 for 18 on three pointers while the Bison were 8-15.

The good:

KP had 34 points, 8 boards. 

Only 7 turnovers

NDSU will win a lot of games this year and be in the hunt in the Summit League.  But it is a disappointing loss and a game YSU will look back on with regret.

I started this stretch wanting 3-0 of course, but saying I would be happy to get out at 2-1.  Going to be tough, but it starts tomorrrow with James Madison.  Lets hope the Guins find their three ball touch.

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 07:17:19 PM »
Choke took over Skill.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2012, 05:37:02 AM »
I am not sure that I agree with the substitutions. Seems like we will go home 3-3 at this rate. I would almost rather put together one good game and go 1-2 for the tourney. This was our best chance for a win.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2012, 08:59:44 AM »
Duquesne beat James Madison in overtime last night.  So each time played 45 minutes of basketball.

Bench minutes:

Duquesne - 77 minutes.  One bench player played 35, one starter only 15.

North Dakota State - 63 minutes.  As we know Felt was huge off the bench with 24.  How many bench minutes be design, how many due to foul trouble.

YSU - 45 minutes

James Madison - 43 minutes.  32 from one player.

The recap is all teams will have a fatigue situation.  JMU played less bench minutes and played the later game last night and earlier game tonight.  Theoretically JMU will have it a little harder than YSU tonight - but more simply fatigue is not an excuse tonight.  Just shoot better from behind the arc and carrying from Coach Slocum's comments, play smarter.