Author Topic: Class of 2013 Men's Basketball recruiting targets  (Read 21700 times)

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Class of 2013 Men's Basketball recruiting targets
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 10:51:55 PM »
TJ Kelley ‏@scoopIPS
Youngstown St and Northwood U were in to see Detroit Community's 6'6" '13 pf Jerell Martin. Offers from Arkansas PB, GVSU, Ferris St. offers

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 10:48:26 PM »
Video of YSU commit Marcus Keene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yz-zqJpXeE

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 01:36:19 PM »
6-7 forward Kaion Sales of Westside Christian Academhy will visit YSU and Detroit after withdrawing his commitment from Saginaw Valley State.

Steve Schwanda ‏@alleyesonuhoops
Kaion Seales withdrew his verbal to SVSU per his high school coach, he will visit Detroit, Youngstown State & SVSU, and maybe Ferris State

Article from his August commit to SVSU indicated he was being recruited by MAC schools to bulk up to play the 5.  Seems like he may have changed his mind about not wanting to go Division I :

http://blog.mlive.com/highschoolbasketball/2012/08/svsu_lays_down_the_gauntlet_wi.html

Kaion Seales will be the highest ranked in-state player to sign directly with a GLIAC school since Callistus Eziuwku went from Muskegon to Grand Valley in 2003 when he signs with Saginaw Valley State in November. The 6-7 Detroit Westside Christian senior committed to the Cardinals today, Wednesday.

While MAC schools were recruiting Seales -- an admittedly gifted shot-blocker -- to beef up and play the 5, SVSU wanted him as an all-around basketball player to help set the foundation for first-year coach Randy Baruth. Seales is a versatile scorer who can post up, handle the ball away from the basket and stop and pop off the break.

"It's not about going D1," Seales said. "I'm going where they wanted to build around me and help me grow as a person and player."

In pursuing and landing Seales, the early returns have Baruth looking like the right man for the job because he envisions Saginaw Valley as something bigger than it's been in the past. It's just hard to imagine this happening before.

And from June 2012

http://blog.mlive.com/highschoolbasketball/2012/06/university_of_detroit_all-camp.html

Kaion Seales  6-7  Sr  Detroit Westside Christian
He was the best player in camp. Came in with a purpose and played hard all evening. Plays upright at times, so you have to relish it when Seales puts his head down and goes into attack mode with big steps and a sinewy strong forward build to finish at the hoop. A lot of players could be match up problems, but most lack the skills to do it, and the smarts to recognize who is guarding them and what to do to them. Seales follows through on the mismatch potential. He can score on a cross-over drive for an and-one on a trip, then post up with polished footwork the next time down. That's not even mentioning what may have been Seales best shot, terrific footwork and release on a full-speed pull-up jumper. He sets up all that like most coaches prefer, establishing himself as an inside scorer then going outside.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 04:59:01 PM »
Recap of the thread to date.  I will try to update this occassionally and keep it near the top of the thread.

As noted earlier, I have to believe that interest in other point guards no longer exists with Keene on board

YSU Commit

Marcus Keene – 5-10 PG – San Antonio Harding

YSU Offer

Joseph Chealey – 6-3 PG – Apopka (FL) – Committed to Charleston 9/23/12

YSU Interest

John Draper – PG – Columbus Eastmoor
Austin Gardner – PG – Toledo St. John
Hamilton Hawkins – 6-0 PG – Olympia (FL)
D’Andre Johnson – 6-0 PG – Detroit Cass Tech
Jerell Martin – 6-6 PF – Detroit Community
Jalen Myrie – PG – Lawrence Prep (MA)
Kaion Sales – 6-7 PF – Westside Christian Academy (MI)
Nic Wells – 6-6 PF – Akron St. Vincent – St. Mary’s
Sheldon Zablotny – 5-11 PG – Erie Cathedral Prep

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2012, 05:52:26 PM »
Great job Indy, thanks. I believe Coach said there are three total schollies to give, so that would mean 2 more to commit.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2012, 10:16:34 PM »
6-2 guard Jaymon Mason of General McLane High School (Edinboro PA) tweeting he has an offer from YSU.

Interesting.

Jaymon Mason ‏@Baller_814
Offer from Youngstown State

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2012, 11:01:09 PM »
Austin Gardner (YSU interest) committed to the University of Findlay today. 

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2012, 02:30:42 PM »
Keene did sign with YSU today.

I will try to follow-up over the next few days to see where some of the other targets may have ended up.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 02:33:23 PM »
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/marcus-keene

Some video on Keene here.  checking out the Twitter activity on that page, the season has begun in Texas.  Marcus had 37 points including a game winning three pointer earlier this week.

Warren guard Marcus Keene became a star last season when he hit a series of game-winning shots to lead the Warriors to the state tournament.
On the opening night of the new boys basketball season Monday, Keene outdid himself.
He led No. 7 Warren to an 82-80 victory over No. 4 Brennan, hitting the game-winning 3-pointer with two seconds left. Keene scored Warren's final 19 points in the last five minutes and finished with 37.
“This was even better than all those playoff games,” Keene said. “I've been thinking about this one since April.”
Keene has hit the game-winning shot in four of Warren's last nine games.
In front of a crowd of 1,200 at Taylor Field House, the matchup quickly became a showdown between Keene, a 5-foot-9 senior who will sign with Youngstown State this week, and Brennan's 5-10 guard Johnny Azzinaro, who is committed to Bucknell.
Both were All-Area players last year and matched each other shot for shot as Azzinaro finished with 31 points.
Brennan entered the fourth quarter with a 61-56 lead, but as time began to wind down, it became time for what Warren players called ‘Keenesanity' last season.
Keene hit 6 of 8 shots, including three 3-pointers, and 4 of 4 free throws in the final five minutes.
Trailing 80-79 with 35 seconds left, Keene held for the final shot. He called off the original play and dribbled to the right wing, where he sank the game-winner in front of two defenders.
Time ran out as Brennan was inbounding the ball, and Keene had another clutch shot to add to his résumé.
“Marcus relishes in the moment,” Warren coach Jim Weaver said. “Some people just have that ability, and Marcus is one of them.”
Brennan's George King added 23 points and 16 rebounds. Warren's Anthony Trevino had 15 points on five 3-pointers.
Warren reached the Class 5A state tournament last season but lost a group of seniors that included the 2011-12 Express-News Player of the Year Taurean Waller-Prince.
Waller-Prince is already logging playing time as a freshman at Baylor, averaging 10.5 points and 6.0 rebounds in the Bears' first two games of the season. Keene showed Monday there's still a star at Warren to lead the way.
“It's going to be harder without Prince, but we showed we can stick together,” Keene said. “That's the game of the year already.”

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/article/Warren-beats-Brennan-at-buzzer-in-boys-basketball-4031211.php#ixzz2CEA8tFEl
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 02:36:20 PM by ysuindy »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2012, 03:10:04 PM »
Not particularly tall is he?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2012, 01:54:14 PM »
You know, I have watched the highlight reels twice. I think I am changing my mind about Keene. He really seems to get height over most of the competition in these videos. He certainly is a shooter, and coach says he is a first-rate defensive guy.

Indy & IP ...what are your thoughts?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 02:42:07 PM by IAA Fan »