Author Topic: Penguins Play Host to South Dakota in Homecoming Tilt  (Read 8574 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Penguins Play Host to South Dakota in Homecoming Tilt
« on: November 02, 2012, 06:37:52 AM »
The Youngstown State football team plays its annual Homecoming game on Saturday against South Dakota. Kickoff at Stambaugh Stadium is set for 2:05 p.m. The game will be carried on WKBN 570 AM/iHeartRadio with MyYTV carrying the game on tape delay.

This is the first-ever meeting between the programs. USD is in its first year in the Missouri Valley Football Conference.
   Saturday's game marks the 71st Homecoming game in school history. The Penguins own an all-time mark of 48-21-1 in Homecoming contests. At Stambaugh Stadium, YSU is a 20-10 in Homecoming games.

South Dakota
• The Penguins will be looking to win back-to-back Homecoming games for the first time since 2001-02. YSU defeated Western Illinois 56-14 last season on Homecoming.
• QB Kurt Hess is one TD pass shy of tying the school record of 51 in a career.
• The Penguins have registered eight sacks in the past two games. In the six previous contests, they had seven.
• TB Jamaine Cook is 27 yards shy of moving into third place past Robby Robson (3,639) in YSU career rushing yardage.
• PK David Brown has made all 34 extra-point tries this season and has converted his last 36 overall.
• The Penguins have committed eight turnovers in the past two games.
• Sophomore WR Christian Bryan has caught a pass in 19 straight games. Senior TE Will Shaw and sophomore WR Kintrell Disher have caught a pass in every game this year.
• The contest is the 71st Homecoming game in school history and the 31st such game at Stambaugh Stadium.
• YSU has had double-digit leads in six of its eight games this season and had the lead at halftime five times.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Penguins Play Host to South Dakota in Homecoming Tilt
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 08:26:46 AM »
I heard that ticket sales have not yet surpassed 10,000.  I really hope it doesn't rain.

Offline YTOWNALUM

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 07:23:23 PM »
I saw coach Wolford is hosting a costume contest........ Is this a sick joke?   Is he serious?  What a wack job.  This guy has his priorities all wrong.  Get him out. 

Offline GOpenZ

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 10:15:54 PM »
I heard he is dressing up as a head coach.

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 12:49:33 AM »
I heard he is dressing up as a head coach.

That deserves a response.  Nice. ;D
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline GuinsAndNoles

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 11:16:38 AM »
It may be academic, but would 7-4 get us in with 20 teams? Win over Pitt, 3 wins to end the season.

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 12:15:36 PM »
It may be academic, but would 7-4 get us in with 20 teams? Win over Pitt, 3 wins to end the season.
If we do go 7-4 we would definitely have a chance because 7 wins are a prerequisite for playoff consideration and wins over Pitt,Northern Iowa,and Indiana State would be considered major victories.Plus 3 wins in a row shows that team is back on track and playoff worthy.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 12:56:41 PM »
I like the thoughts of winning out and getting in but the win over team choke does not look like the feather in our cap that it did 4-5 weeks ago. they suck
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 03:11:43 PM »
If we do go 7-4 we would definitely have a chance because 7 wins are a prerequisite for playoff consideration and wins over Pitt,Northern Iowa,and Indiana State would be considered major victories.Plus 3 wins in a row shows that team is back on track and playoff worthy.

I agree and hope for this outcome!! :) fb

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 12:54:36 PM »
Playoff chances remain very slim.  There are currently 24 teams within the big 6 conferences that have 3 or fewer losses, and 8 of them have already clinched at worst an 8-3 record. 

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 01:44:48 PM »
I know anything could happen once in, but I've got to believe we would have a short run if we got in.  Still hope it happens for the seniors.  Don't want them to face the disappointment of sitting in the DeBartolo room waiting for that YSU to pop up on the screen  and it doesn't come.  We have all been there.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 06:46:08 PM »
I hope it can happen.  As Lecter said, for the seniors.  But also this program needs playoff experience.  The coaching staff needs it.  The underclassmen need it.   Very few teams go to the playoffs and make a deep run their first time in.  yeah it happens sometimes, but I would much rather go in to the next season with some playoff experience.  An extra week of practice never hurts.

Its a long shot, but lots of crazy stuff happens in November.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 09:16:12 AM »
Playoff chances remain very slim.  There are currently 24 teams within the big 6 conferences that have 3 or fewer losses, and 8 of them have already clinched at worst an 8-3 record.

We really need some upsets this weekend.  6 of the 7 win teams play teams with losing records this weekend.

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 08:31:30 AM »
I hope it can happen.  As Lecter said, for the seniors.  But also this program needs playoff experience.  The coaching staff needs it.  The underclassmen need it.   Very few teams go to the playoffs and make a deep run their first time in.  yeah it happens sometimes, but I would much rather go in to the next season with some playoff experience.  An extra week of practice never hurts.

Its a long shot, but lots of crazy stuff happens in November.

good points Indy