Author Topic: Football @ SDSU in-game thread  (Read 19141 times)

Offline guinsequalswins

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Football @ SDSU in-game thread
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2012, 04:56:35 PM »
True,maybe we will do something radical like play Angle or Bellamy--I was amazed they finally gave Pace a few carries on 3rd and 4th down which he converted as I expected.

why in the world would we do that?! weve been pretty explosive the past 9 consecutive qtrs.  :o smdh they kept putting out the same players and expect the other players to come in and save their ass after they're down 21-28 pts every game. id like some of the stuff these coaches are smoking!  ::)

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2012, 05:01:27 PM »
WOW

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2012, 05:03:59 PM »
They didn't need to make half time adjustments and apparently, we didn't either.

Offline guinsequalswins

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2012, 05:07:11 PM »
WOW

I BET YOU SUMNER WISHES THEY COULD PLAY YSU EVERY WEEK. HE'D RUN AWAY WITH THE WALTER PAYTON AWARD!!!  >:(

IM A RELATIVE OF A PLAYER THAT OBVIOUSLY SHOULD BE PLAYING AND IM NOT GOING TO NAME WHO THAT PLAYER IS BUT AS A FAMILY MEMBER I AM DISGUSTED WITH THE WAY WOLFORD HAS HANDLED THIS FOOTBALL TEAM AND SO DISAPPOINTED THAT HE'S SHOWN ALL THESE PLAYERS THAT HE SUPPOSEDLY LEADS ON HOW NOT TO MAN UP TO ADVERSITY. HE CONTINUED AND CONTINUES TO SHED OFF THE BLAME ONTO HIS PLAYERS AND ALL THESE OUTCOMES HAVE BEEN WELL DESERVED IMO.

Offline Pengwinz1

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2012, 05:09:33 PM »
I'm sure Wolf spent the half time break telling the players what w***** their mothers are to shore things up.  No adjustments, just tell them they are a bunch of p****** and how soft they are.  It has worked for him for the last 2 1/2 yrs.

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2012, 05:10:23 PM »
There should all out QB competition next year.  Sorry Kurt, you've lost IT and I don't think it's coming back bud.  Please Eric, Shane grow some balls and make a QB change now.  Let's see what Angle can do

Offline pen4life

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2012, 05:22:59 PM »
Please  Eric, just go away. youre  not very good at this head coaching thing and the staff you surround yourself with are equally incompetemt .  Whatever you are getting paid, buddy you are not worth it.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2012, 05:24:36 PM »
Any information on Stubbs? He has not played since getting knocked out on the sideline.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2012, 06:41:09 PM »
Kurt Hess is a system QB. He stinks. No field vision AT ALL. CANNOT THROW ON THE RUN. Straight up embarrassing, wow. Shane Montgomery needs to change it up. Eric Wolford needs a reality check. Defense is getting better besides still the big plays. I just don't know

Offline JackJD

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2012, 10:20:51 PM »
I've been a frequent visitor to this board since SDSU joined the MVFC...but, I've been an infrequent poster (and the inner voice is telling me now is not the time to post!).

I know that SDSU's passing statistics for the season leading up the Saturday's game, were awful.  On one of the threads on this board,  there were a couple of posts that noted SDSU's passing game was supposed to be real solid -- at least that was the pre-season prediction.  Those comments made some SDSU fans chuckle.  We've been complaining about a one-dimensional offense:  Zach Zenner,  the nation's leading rusher, but no complimentary passing game.

However, there are some important facts that SDSU fans had to keep in mind and those facts may at least explain some of Saturday's game result.

The Jackrabbits' quarterback, Austin Sumner, was one of the top quarterbacks in the league last year -- as a red-shirt freshman who only played seven games.  He was throwing to Dale Moss -- a basketball player who came out for football for just last year.  (Moss is currently a receiver in the Tampa Bay organization on its practice squad with an excellent chance of making the playing roster next year.)  We thought Sumner would  start this season where he left off last season.  But, in practice prior to the first game, Sumner dislocated his thumb on his throwing hand and it was a serious injury.  About two weeks ago we started hearing the thumb was starting to come around.  Obviously, by Saturday the thumb was now significantly improved and Sumner gained confidence with every throw.  If you were able to watch the game, you'd note he was highly accurate. 

Another fact:  our expected top receiver, Aaron Rollin, took a super-hard hit in the second game against SE Louisiana and bruised his lungs.  Weird injury.  He was hospitalized for several days and then had to be driven back to South Dakota because the injury prevented him from flying (concern about clots).  So, he was out for several games. On Saturday, it appears he was returning to form.

YSU prepared to meet a running game.  Made good sense because that's all SDSU has had this year,...until Saturday.  Now that our passing game has returned, we went with it.  Our great running back, Zenner, had a light day and it was the first time he ran fewer than 100 yards in a game (he still averaged more than 5 yards per carry). 

Every time SDSU has won this season (we're 6-2 overall, 4-1 MVFC), fans of our opponents have ripped on their teams and coaches because they lost to an inferior team.  We're hoping Southern Illinois fans do that this Saturday.

I was a student at SDSU when we first started playing Youngstown in the early 1970s (Jaworski).  The Youngstown games were big deals, attracting as much or more attention than some of the conference games against regular rivals.  Saturday's game was a big deal -- it was our homecoming but it was also a game against a known and respected opponent.  14,966 fans showed up in less-than-ideal weather (our games also have to compete against the best pheasant hunting in the country).  Met some YSU loyalists who drove in from Idaho!

« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 10:29:47 PM by JackJD »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2012, 10:49:32 PM »
I've been a frequent visitor to this board since SDSU joined the MVFC...but, I've been an infrequent poster (and the inner voice is telling me now is not the time to post!).

I know that SDSU's passing statistics for the season leading up the Saturday's game, were awful.  On one of the threads on this board,  there were a couple of posts that noted SDSU's passing game was supposed to be real solid -- at least that was the pre-season prediction.  Those comments made some SDSU fans chuckle.  We've been complaining about a one-dimensional offense:  Zach Zenner,  the nation's leading rusher, but no complimentary passing game.

However, there are some important facts that SDSU fans had to keep in mind and those facts may at least explain some of Saturday's game result.

The Jackrabbits' quarterback, Austin Sumner, was one of the top quarterbacks in the league last year -- as a red-shirt freshman who only played seven games.  He was throwing to Dale Moss -- a basketball player who came out for football for just last year.  (Moss is currently a receiver in the Tampa Bay organization on its practice squad with an excellent chance of making the playing roster next year.)  We thought Sumner would  start this season where he left off last season.  But, in practice prior to the first game, Sumner dislocated his thumb on his throwing hand and it was a serious injury.  About two weeks ago we started hearing the thumb was starting to come around.  Obviously, by Saturday the thumb was now significantly improved and Sumner gained confidence with every throw.  If you were able to watch the game, you'd note he was highly accurate. 

Another fact:  our expected top receiver, Aaron Rollin, took a super-hard hit in the second game against SE Louisiana and bruised his lungs.  Weird injury.  He was hospitalized for several days and then had to be driven back to South Dakota because the injury prevented him from flying (concern about clots).  So, he was out for several games. On Saturday, it appears he was returning to form.

YSU prepared to meet a running game.  Made good sense because that's all SDSU has had this year,...until Saturday.  Now that our passing game has returned, we went with it.  Our great running back, Zenner, had a light day and it was the first time he ran fewer than 100 yards in a game (he still averaged more than 5 yards per carry). 

Every time SDSU has won this season (we're 6-2 overall, 4-1 MVFC), fans of our opponents have ripped on their teams and coaches because they lost to an inferior team.  We're hoping Southern Illinois fans do that this Saturday.

I was a student at SDSU when we first started playing Youngstown in the early 1970s (Jaworski).  The Youngstown games were big deals, attracting as much or more attention than some of the conference games against regular rivals.  Saturday's game was a big deal -- it was our homecoming but it was also a game against a known and respected opponent.  14,966 fans showed up in less-than-ideal weather (our games also have to compete against the best pheasant hunting in the country).  Met some YSU loyalists who drove in from Idaho!

Jack,

I think that if you ask any of the fans on the board you have a good team, however, we expected more from ours.  The YSU team you played was a much different team than at the beginning of the season.  YSU was able to beat Pitt, Albany, and UNI.  The team is not playing well and regardless of game planning, the team should have made adjustments to the passing attack.  Careless penalties and TO's cost YSU a chance of winning that came, but the most glaring part was the pass coverage and lack of defensive pressure in the first half.  It is inexcusable.  We understand that from top to bottom the Gateway is an excellent confernce, however, YSU is a better team this year than what was on display and they have shown that they can play better.  I am scratching my head as to what has transpired over the last month.