YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

So what's happened...

(1/2) > >>

pioneer9:
I'm really interested to hear everyone's feelings about the SIU game... I can say that personally, it was draining. I'm not the accusatory type, I try not to lynch mob after bad games (calling for the coaches' jobs and such) and I understand this is a hard game to play (AKA, not the guy in the stands yelling, "come on, how could you drop that pass?!").  But, tonight has been a cultivation of a well of disappointment for a lot of Penguins fans.  4-0 and on top of the world diminished to 3 straight losses in some of the most unexemplary fashions imaginable... as if being a Northeast Ohio sports fan wasn't bad enough already. Here's what I've got on my mind after these passed three weeks...

1) What is going on in the halftime locker room? Three straight weeks held scoreless in the 3rd and 4th quarter? It just seems as if the offense never comes out to play the second half.  Sure, the defense hasn't played great.  But when the offense never tastes the endzone drive after drive, I can understand the difficulty that must come from having to slug back onto the field to try and defend a lead...

2) I discovered one big thing from tonight... we run the slowest no-huddle offense I have ever seen.  I played in the no-huddle in college and the whole point is to control the tempo of the game.  Speed it up when your down, slow it down when your up. That's the rule.  So, why is it that YSU down two scores with under 8 minutes to go is taking at least 20+ seconds to get each play off.  If that's how it's going to be, I would prefer we go back to a traditional offense, huddle up and keep it simple.

3) I have met the QB outside of football and he seems like a great kid and a great athlete.  Truly, he does have "ability" and "skill."  But the last few weeks have taught me that he has trouble leading this team... emotionally and by example.  I dont like to call out players, but what can a person say?  This is Division 1 football and there needs to be some accountability for performance.  In three of the last four games, you heard the opposing coaches say that they were making adjustments coming out of halftime that they felt gave them a great chance.  I'm willing to bet that part of that plan was to make our QB win or lose the game... try to attack the run and mis-direction and make the QB beat them... and aside from UNI, he didn't do that.

4) Coaches... what happened to the attitude and swagger of this team? Coaches exist for three reasons... to call plays, prepare players for games and motivate/inspire their teams. Needless to say, we have failed in all three of these areas. Buck has to stop somewhere guys... and to coin a phrase from one of my football favorites (remember the titans) "attitude reflects leadership... Captain."

5) "Fans," two questions... (1) where are you and (2) do you really care if we win or lose?  And yes, I am probably to blame here as well.  But after sitting in front of a "Penguin fan" who did nothing but down our team for four quarters, I really began to wonder if I had confused the YSU season-ticket seats with the Southern Illinois fan section.  If you would like to comment on how bad everyone played, a forum like this is a great place to do it... after the game!  When you are there (which most of you were not), please at least try to help get our guys motivated.

After all that, I hope everyone is still excited for the last half of the season.  I do believe we have a shot... a slim one but a shot and we as YSU fans NEED to care what happens.  Sure it's been disappointing, but the truly faithful will stand strong through it. Stand strong. SDSU in a week...

peteonastick:
Totally agree with number 5? Mooney Ursuline was more important. People don't know what they have here!!

pennyguin1:
Pioneer-Agree on on the first 4 points. I have no clue what happened the second half it was like they imploded, and yes I was at the game(sitting in section 1). I actually left the game with about 4 minutes left. I couldn't take it anymore. As for the fans: If we aren't winning games there aren't going to be fans in the seat. Of course I did cheer the whole time I was there(we left in the 4th quarter with about 4 minutes left).

Double ET:

--- Quote from: pioneer9 on October 20, 2012, 09:28:22 PM ---4) Coaches... what happened to the attitude and swagger of this team? Coaches exist for three reasons... to call plays, prepare players for games and motivate/inspire their teams. Needless to say, we have failed in all three of these areas. Buck has to stop somewhere guys... and to coin a phrase from one of my football favorites (remember the titans) "attitude reflects leadership... Captain."

--- End quote ---
I agree.
I think the team could sense what would happen in the second half when they came out after the intermission. Deep down, players knew that we were going to be out coached again. They did not have faith in the coaches. The coaches did not have technical skills, managing skills and leadership quality. As a result, the team was at a lost and they played without emotions. We should have prepared for the block punt. SIU players (all four, not just one) were on top of our punter before he even kicked the ball. This is a total breakdown of the protection scheme.

I was at the game and I recognized that the players made many mistakes. However, it appeared that the coaching staff had put them in many no-win situations and the players didn't care if they could get out of it. Bottom-line, players have lost their faith in the coaching staff.

Instead of blaming the players, coaches must take responsibilities and show leadership on how they could correct their mistakes and provide the team with better strategies and leadership to win future games. If they could not do that, this season would be lost.

HLecter:
I know the buck stops with Wolford but the OC and DC deserve criticism too.  They have the authority to change ANYTHING at half time, or after seeing how the opponent is playing us.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version