Author Topic: Southern Illinois at YSU  (Read 15152 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Southern Illinois at YSU
« on: October 16, 2012, 07:21:27 PM »
Must win game?? I like what I hear this week listening to players and Wolf. Couple changes being made for Saturday: Jamarious Boatwright is starting at nickel corner now. I always liked this kid every since he was playing as a freshman. Let's be honest #28 sucks. He was a RB last year for gods sake. Kyle Bryant is starting at LT for Radakovich and Wolf said changes will be made on the defensive line. I'm sure Aronde is the only safe bet to start. We need to get back on track and I think we will. Passing game needs to be on point because SIU loves to load the box and stop the run. GO GUINS!

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Southern Illinois at YSU
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 11:39:42 PM »
YSU has opened as a 7 point favorite.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 06:15:58 AM »
Must win game?? I like what I hear this week listening to players and Wolf. Couple changes being made for Saturday: Jamarious Boatwright is starting at nickel corner now. I always liked this kid every since he was playing as a freshman. Let's be honest #28 sucks. He was a RB last year for gods sake. Kyle Bryant is starting at LT for Radakovich and Wolf said changes will be made on the defensive line. I'm sure Aronde is the only safe bet to start. We need to get back on track and I think we will. Passing game needs to be on point because SIU loves to load the box and stop the run. GO GUINS!

I am hoping the change for Radakovich is due to an injury. Not that I want any injury, just that Radakovich is a good player.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 06:18:21 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 10:31:19 AM »

I'm kind of currious to see what's going to happen to #3  ???  Starter or not he'll need to tighten up coverage. Listed as a LB but seems to always be on deep coverage. I don't know what they're doing there, and I know things have change since my playing days "BUT" as a line backer I was never required to be any deeper than 25 yards off the line of scrimmage unless I was chasing someone with the ball that got past me.

Ummm... No leather helmet jokes either  ;D
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 10:50:23 AM by ysubigred »

Offline guinsequalswins

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 09:34:35 PM »

I'm kind of currious to see what's going to happen to #3  ???  Starter or not he'll need to tighten up coverage. Listed as a LB but seems to always be on deep coverage. I don't know what they're doing there, and I know things have change since my playing days "BUT" as a line backer I was never required to be any deeper than 25 yards off the line of scrimmage unless I was chasing someone with the ball that got past me.

I have been wondering why they even have #3 in there at all to be honest with you. Most of the time he looks lost out there especially in coverage. I would start #10 instead because he seems to be much more disciplined and has shown that he can make plays if given a chance (two blocked punts already this season). Until the LB situation gets sorted out we'll continue to struggle because teams continually use swing, screen, and slants against us. I sure it gets straightened out because I dont think I can take too much more of this atrocious defensive play!

Offline A Penguin-Husky

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 07:44:15 AM »
We are down in Norfolk, VA taking care of grandkids.  Do Penguin Club members still get free video feed of home games?  And if so how do we go about signing up.  Thanks and GO GUINS!!!!

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 07:51:36 AM »

I have been wondering why they even have #3 in there at all to be honest with you. Most of the time he looks lost out there especially in coverage. I would start #10 instead because he seems to be much more disciplined and has shown that he can make plays if given a chance (two blocked punts already this season). Until the LB situation gets sorted out we'll continue to struggle because teams continually use swing, screen, and slants against us. I sure it gets straightened out because I dont think I can take too much more of this atrocious defensive play!

Reading the bio from last year #3 was a good one.  MVFC newcomer of the year etc...  ???

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 08:32:06 AM »
We are down in Norfolk, VA taking care of grandkids.  Do Penguin Club members still get free video feed of home games?  And if so how do we go about signing up.  Thanks and GO GUINS!!!!

Husky:

I sent you a message on this.

Dan

Offline pioneer9

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 11:26:43 AM »
This is most definitely a MUST WIN game. And, yet again, this is another good team that YSU plays this week.  I think people started to count the Salukis out because of their lackluster start to the season and so, from what I am hearing around town, a lot of people are underestimating this game... and that is not good.

The Guins need a win bad... not even just from a season standpoint but from a morale standpoint.  I think a lot of people (I am guilty of this big time) saw a great start to the season and just started thinking we were shoe-ins for the playoffs.  Unfortunately, close games, a tough conference and some big mistakes can put any playoff-caliber team in a bad position.  Hence, where we are today. Like I said before, I think YSU is "capable" of an 8-3, even 9-2 record this season... that's totally in the realm of possibility with the way I have seen them play at times.  However, make any more mistakes and they could also end up at 6-5... out of the playoffs.

YSU needs this win to really spark the rest of their season, as they will need to get some confidence going with big tilts against SDSU and Indiana State highlighting the second half of the schedule.

I was glad to hear about some of these changes... I can't really speak to specific positions as to what needed to be done... but SOMETHING needed to be done to change the attitude on the field. Let's hope we see some good fruit from this on Saturday...

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 11:52:06 AM »
Funny how Teven #3, goes from being our leading tackler last year as a freshman to our biggest weakness at LB this year....

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 12:37:07 PM »
This is most definitely a MUST WIN game. And, yet again, this is another good team that YSU plays this week.  I think people started to count the Salukis out because of their lackluster start to the season and so, from what I am hearing around town, a lot of people are underestimating this game... and that is not good.

The Guins need a win bad... not even just from a season standpoint but from a morale standpoint.  I think a lot of people (I am guilty of this big time) saw a great start to the season and just started thinking we were shoe-ins for the playoffs.  Unfortunately, close games, a tough conference and some big mistakes can put any playoff-caliber team in a bad position.  Hence, where we are today. Like I said before, I think YSU is "capable" of an 8-3, even 9-2 record this season... that's totally in the realm of possibility with the way I have seen them play at times.  However, make any more mistakes and they could also end up at 6-5... out of the playoffs.

YSU needs this win to really spark the rest of their season, as they will need to get some confidence going with big tilts against SDSU and Indiana State highlighting the second half of the schedule.

I was glad to hear about some of these changes... I can't really speak to specific positions as to what needed to be done... but SOMETHING needed to be done to change the attitude on the field. Let's hope we see some good fruit from this on Saturday...

This is a must-read from Pioneer ...all great points.

I might add that SIU is no more than a season-away from the top-team in the conference once again. The talent is already there and playing. I was questioning the coaching. In fact, if we win this ...I am very encouraged about SDSU, my previous greatest fear.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 12:43:48 PM »
Anyone know how many tickets have been sold so far?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 03:08:06 PM »
UNI pushed this team all around the field last Saturday in Carbondale.  They actually lost in a worse fashion than we did: blocked punt for a td plus 100 yard return of a fumble.  Ouch!  We have reached the point in our schedule where, despite our obvious deficiencies, we have superior athletes to the opposition.  But superior athletes don't necessarily make for the superior team.  My biggest concern is our coaching staff, both in their ability to place the right players on the field and in their ability to properly motivate those players.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 03:55:32 PM »
I don't know about that Wick: I only saw a part of it, but Faulkner did well against that poor UNI defense ...Faulkner threw for 384 yards & was 16 of 19 in the process. He reminds me of Nick Hill, if you remember him. Hill was the Salukis QB, about 4 or 5 years ago.

Also, SIU had 5-sacks against UNI, and 3-sacks against Illinois State the week prior.  They shut-out ILS. Our defense sure did not do that.

I really think these guys (Salukis) have "turned the corner".

Offline guinsequalswins

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 04:10:42 PM »
Funny how Teven #3, goes from being our leading tackler last year as a freshman to our biggest weakness at LB this year....

With all due respect if Im not mistaken our defense "last year" wasnt that great at all and a big reason why we finished 6-5 and out of the playoffs. Just because he played last year and led the team in tackles ( which he should being he's the MLB) really doesnt hide the fact that he is in over his head especially in pass coverage (which many of the teams in this league do last I checked). The fact that the coaches continue to put him out there is a joke! All anyone "with eyes" has to do is look at the game tape because the "tape dont lie." The game that we actually won and #3 Teven didnt start against UNI is only more proof that he shouldnt be starting. If Im not mistaken #10 Ali was right there on the last play to help preserve the win against the Panthers (the first in the last 11 yrs I might add). The funny thing is the fact that they continue to even have him #3 out there seriously.  :o