Author Topic: Did UNI deserve one more play?  (Read 7572 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Did UNI deserve one more play?
« on: September 24, 2012, 12:11:55 AM »
Well, as it seems to be the topic of conversation in the I-AA/FCS world ...does UNI deserve one more play? I say "no". The only way that would occur would be if there was an incomplete pass. If the pass was illegal (by virtue of the penalty) then the clock stops with the officials, and they called a time-out well-after the end of regulation.

Anyone see anything differently?

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Did UNI deserve one more play?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 08:22:48 AM »
No, but if it will make Farley feel better he can bring his team back to Youngstown, suit them up, and have them stand on the sidelines. Fly in the head ref and have him explain it to Farley and then they can go home again.

Its over, move on.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 08:48:48 AM »
No, but if it will make Farley feel better he can bring his team back to Youngstown, suit them up, and have them stand on the sidelines. Fly in the head ref and have him explain it to Farley and then they can go home again.

Its over, move on.

Plus 1 ^^ It's about time the Guins don't get hommied at home vs UNI  >:(

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 11:17:27 AM »
It's about time a call went our way! Let those cry babies cry

I Tripple E

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 01:27:47 PM »
I believe there is a 10 seconds clock run off at the end of the game when there is an offensive foul. This is true  for both the NCAA and the NFL. Since the offensive pass interference foul occured with less than 5 seconds before the end of the game, the game was over with the 10 seconds run off.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 01:31:35 PM »
I believe there is a 10 seconds clock run off at the end of the game when there is an offensive foul. This is true  for both the NCAA and the NFL. Since the offensive pass interference foul occured with less than 5 seconds before the end of the game, the game was over with the 10 seconds run off.

I could be wrong on this, but the run -off is not enforced if the team has a time-out remaining. They just lose the timeout. UNI had 1-timeout remaining.

I Tripple E

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 01:39:56 PM »
I AA Fan, I think you are right on that one. It would only be applicable for the 4th time-out (out of time out) at the end of the game. My mistake.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 02:49:44 PM »
I heard that there is a 10 second run-off at the end of a game if it can end on an offensive penalty.  This prevents the team on offense from purposfully taking a penalty if the play is not successful.  Has anyone every heard of this before?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 03:04:28 PM »
I heard that there is a 10 second run-off at the end of a game if it can end on an offensive penalty.  This prevents the team on offense from purposfully taking a penalty if the play is not successful.  Has anyone every heard of this before?

Absolutely, that is a very big rule these days. It is the rule of 3's I think ...3-3-3. if their was no score, the official can count off up to the balance of the shot-clock if the defense declines the penalty. If there would have been a score, the defense would accept the penalty, and since the penalty was a live-ball foul ...then the official could have counted down. So I think you are correct than could have applied here because UNI snapped with :11 on the game clock. Although I think the illegal forward pass negated the request for it being ruled incomplete.

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 03:05:25 PM »
If they deserve one more play they should overrule the bogus call from 2004 when we beat UNI and they let UNI have another kick 15yds closer after the clock had expired--in a sense they got an extra play when they didn't have one coming.I'm sure a few posters from UNI (e.g Crap'n Cat and Bowel Clenz )will be crying over this for years as well as maybe Coach Fartley.

Offline Guins4Ever

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 06:29:43 PM »
 I’m not sure about the 10 second run off but I do know after watching the replay a dozen time the reffs did signal to stop the clock with 1 second left. Kudos to our clock crew for running it out. Its about time we got a call to go our way.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 06:36:56 PM »
Good point Guins. The home clock keeper SHOULD let the clock run out in that situation and MAKE the refs have the stones to put time back on the clock.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 06:50:30 PM »
Yea - no way - that is called home field advantage!!! 

GO GUINS!!!
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 07:40:02 PM »
Listened to Hannon on the radio show and now I amd ecen more confused. It is all water under the bridge, but I just want to understand the clock rule. i

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 08:13:12 PM »
I thought the offical time was kept on the field by the officials. If the official time keeper/ref registered  0 second after the play, would it matter what the rest of the officating crew thought?