Author Topic: COACHES RADIO SHOW THIS EVENING  (Read 8162 times)

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
COACHES RADIO SHOW THIS EVENING
« on: September 04, 2012, 09:54:14 PM »
I am a supporter of Wolf's, but I am so tired of hearing him say how their was absolutely no talent here when he took over.  He has said it over and over again since he took over, and make a point to tell Hannon again tonight.  We get the point, and we know that the talent level was down when he took over.  Why can't he let it go?  It makes him seem petty.  Does he not realize that 5 of his best players were here when he took over?  He didn't inherit a program like Indiana State or Missouri State.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: COACHES RADIO SHOW THIS EVENING
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 09:59:15 PM »
I think Wolf can say whatever the hell he wants to within reason at this point!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 10:00:02 PM »
yes, but you can't contend for championships with just 5 talented players and....player talent is the biggest piece of the pie to having the ability to win.  He is indirectly complementing his players and the 5 he inherited.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 08:21:18 AM »
I am a supporter of Wolf's, but I am so tired of hearing him say how their was absolutely no talent here when he took over.  He has said it over and over again since he took over, and make a point to tell Hannon again tonight.  We get the point, and we know that the talent level was down when he took over.  Why can't he let it go?  It makes him seem petty.  Does he not realize that 5 of his best players were here when he took over?  He didn't inherit a program like Indiana State or Missouri State.

Like Obumba blaming Bush LOL!!

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 08:52:13 AM »
Sorry to bring this up again, but I had to mention something Wolf said in this week's radio show.  Within the first 5 minutes, he tells Hannon he had to "completely rebuild" the program.  His definition of a "complete rebuild" must be different than mine.  A "complete rebuild" is what Terry Miles had to do at Indiana State when he took over in 2008 (1 win in the previous 3 seasons), or what Terry Bowden has to do at Akron (5 wins in the previous 3 seasons).  Wolf took over a program that was 17-17 the 3 seasons prior to his arrival.  He has the Guins on a path to make the playoffs and contend for the conference crown this year, so why keep bringing up the past.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 09:00:53 AM »
Sorry to bring this up again, but I had to mention something Wolf said in this week's radio show.  Within the first 5 minutes, he tells Hannon he had to "completely rebuild" the program.  His definition of a "complete rebuild" must be different than mine.  A "complete rebuild" is what Terry Miles had to do at Indiana State when he took over in 2008 (1 win in the previous 3 seasons), or what Terry Bowden has to do at Akron (5 wins in the previous 3 seasons).  Wolf took over a program that was 17-17 the 3 seasons prior to his arrival.  He has the Guins on a path to make the playoffs and contend for the conference crown this year, so why keep bringing up the past.

:-\ My wife (clinical therapist) would say he's a narcissist?! Empowerment, always drawing attention to one's self.  ???

I'd give Wolf credit for a tune up and a oil change not a rebuild LOL!!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 09:04:37 AM by ysubigred »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 09:28:38 AM »
Not too mention that it is because he (coach W) chose to change the "style" of ball that he had to rebuild the program. I thought that coach H had two solid seasons of recruiting players for the spread. Unfortunately, it was too late to save his career as a Penguin. Had he done this earlier, H would still be here, and we would all be comparing subsequent Penguin QB's to Brandon Summers; as he was perfect for the spread.

I mean, Wolf had about half of his team at that point. Unlike many I actually liked most of coach H's recruits; I might also add that some of those remain our top players to this day. Don't misunderstand me, I certainly support coach Wolf, as I supported his predecessor. I am always a Penguin. I might also add that he (coach W) lost a large number of players (twice in three years). We will never truly know what happened there, but that has hampered the rebuild.

Offline GOpenZ

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 09:30:33 AM »
All our definitions of a tune-up / rebuild will be different from the others, unless we all begin quoting Webster. 

As such, I believe that there has been quite a change here with our football program, as well as the athletic dept. in general since Wolf's presence.  I know that items such as the WATTS were in the works before his arrival, however I believe he and his staff alongside the athletic dept. have been making great strides forward for not just football but for all sports.  From the use of technology and the web to upgrades of locker rooms and many others, it seems that the marketing department has renewed spirit (and an increased budget) since his arrival. 

I don't believe this would have happened at YSU so quickly, if we did not bring on a coach with Wolf's knowledge and experiences at the 1A level as well as the attitude and personality that he has (including the rough edges).

Go Guins! #BeatUNI

Z

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 10:05:07 AM »
I also think that many of us "longer-term" fans were used to having a coach (Tressel) that could keep your interest for 60-minutes and not say anything. I mean that in a positive way, as it is truly a gift. He never gave away any game plans, yet was able to let the opponent know what he thought they were bringing to the table ...knowing and hoping the opposing coaches would make changes of course. That has to be hard to do, and I respect coach Wolf for being able to get out there each week. Coach H was very friendly, but was not overly-gifted with the media.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 01:12:50 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Owlguin

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 12:44:28 PM »
I watch from afar, having moved out of state several years ago.  IMHO, this guy's doing a great job.  The university hung on to the last coach way too long.  He was handed the best I-AA program in the country on a silver platter and did nothing with it.  So as far as I'm concerned, this coach can say and do what he wants. 

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 01:18:44 PM »
I'd give Wolf credit for a tune up and a oil change not a rebuild LOL!!
Great analogy

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 01:21:10 PM »
I don't believe this would have happened at YSU so quickly
I agree.  I'm sure Wolf kept after them to get the WATTS finished.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 01:38:49 PM »
I watch from afar, having moved out of state several years ago.  IMHO, this guy's doing a great job.  The university hung on to the last coach way too long.  He was handed the best I-AA program in the country on a silver platter and did nothing with it.  So as far as I'm concerned, this coach can say and do what he wants.
I agree with all your points.  Although just because you can say what you want doesn't always mean you should.

Offline GOpenZ

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 03:26:16 PM »
I don't believe this would have happened at YSU so quickly
I agree.  I'm sure Wolf kept after them to get the WATTS finished.

I've heard directly from players under JH who mentioned that there would be a crane brought to the old track (where the WATTS is now), just to tell players that it was coming during their time here.  However, they still missed out on it.  Things are moving quicker!!

Z