Author Topic: PSU to YSU / 2013 Recruiting Class  (Read 6604 times)

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
PSU to YSU / 2013 Recruiting Class
« on: July 23, 2012, 10:00:49 AM »
I am a Penn State fan...and can't believe what has happened in the past year with there program...after today's sanctions you would think that many current players are going to look at other options to pursue  football...

I would not be surprised if we see a few kids in for visits...

Also, has anyone heard of any local players on the short list for offers to YSU next year..?....I know that Mooney and Ursuline have some D1 talent on there rosters this year...

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: PSU to YSU / 2013 Recruiting Class
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 01:11:53 PM »
I would assume that Penn State players will transfer to other Big Time programs.  Under these circumstances, they would be eligible immediately.  However, if Wolford can grab a few, that would be wonderful.

Ursuline does not have many DI prospects this year.  Their quarterback is getting some DI offers, but he is not as good as Nick Wargo and we probably are not interested.  Mooney has two impact defensive players, a linebacker and a corner.  Both have already committed to Nebraska.  Mooney has two big offensive linemen (6"3""-320 and 6'6"-270 as listed in last year's program.)  Don't know if either are DI prospects or if we are interested.  Here is a question for our football alumni.  Mooney has a junior linebacker who is going to be a big star.  But he might get overlooked because he is short (5'11" program height is really about 5'9".)  So can somebody that short play linebacker successfully at the FCS level?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 02:53:53 PM »
Yes he could play at this height, if he has stopping-power. However, with our new DC, we are going to be looking for "hands" people ...so his height may become an issue. Has potential on special teams, perhaps he has offensive capabilities, short-yardage db. Again, we need to look at vertical, speed, and stopping power (tackling).

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 04:38:11 PM »
I forgot the linebacker from Mooney committed to Nebraska....the 2 Mooney lineman you mentioned are getting D1 looks for sure...but YSU just loaded up on lineman this year...

Offline pennyguin1

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 04:55:23 PM »
Post season ban doesn't ban go into effect until 2014, scholarship ban goes into effect in 2013. And the PSU players can always transfer from i to i-aa anytime.

HorizonLeagueFan

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 08:13:35 PM »
Post season ban doesn't ban go into effect until 2014, scholarship ban goes into effect in 2013. And the PSU players can always transfer from i to i-aa anytime.

PSU players can transfer from D1 to D1 anytime too without having to sit out.  That was part of today's ruling.

Offline pennyguin1

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 12:07:10 AM »
Yes it was, but I don't think anyone is going to transfer out until the bans go into effect. It will be interesting to see how long the HC stays there. I told Lucky that I give him until 2015 and he will be out

HorizonLeagueFan

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 07:30:18 AM »
Yes it was, but I don't think anyone is going to transfer out until the bans go into effect. It will be interesting to see how long the HC stays there. I told Lucky that I give him until 2015 and he will be out

Post season ban and probation start this year according to ESPN.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 08:30:23 AM »
As I understand it, since many FB teams have used all their scholarships, the PSU players scholarships are "mobile" and will be applied to any school they decide to go to even if they have reached thier limit.

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 08:35:15 AM »
if there scholarships are transferable then i can see a lot of kids leaving.....silas redd is already quoted as saying he is interested in usc....