Author Topic: Basketball recruiting target Ronnye Beamon, 6-4 SF/SG Hammond(IN) Bishop Noll HS  (Read 17830 times)

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
If its true that this kid signs then its a great get for us. This kid and Webber open up Indiana as a recruiting territory. I figure that between Florida, Detroit and Indiana we are set for a while when it comes to snagging some players. Perhaps we have finally turned a corner

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Beamon signed his LOI today.  Story from the NWI Times.  click on the link for a picture

HAMMOND | His smile was other-worldly. His spirit was the same. "Run of the mill average" will never be words to describe Bishop Noll senior Ronnye Beamon Jr.

Beamon beamed Monay inside Noll's cafeteria as many of his teachers, administrators and school mates watched him sign his National Letter of Intent to play basketball at Youngstown State.

A lot of star basketball players smile when their dream is realized. Few of the others, however, have lived through the ordeal that Beamon has in recent years.

In February of 2011, his father with the same name passed away after months in intensive care and years of fighting an illness. That March, Beamon led Noll to the Class 2A state championship game. It was No. 23's shot that hung on the rim and fell out as the buzzer sounded for a one-point loss.

And after finishing his remarkable career this winter, the 6-foot-4 swing player had no Division I offers on the table a month ago. Doubters abound.

Monday, during lunch, it all changed. Beamon believes, and now knows, that prayer changes things.

"My relationship with God really got stronger lately," Beamon said. "I went to church more. I prayed more. God is the reason this is happening."

Beamon's career is historic. His class set an all-time record of 76-19. The Warriors won three Greater South Shore Conference tournaments, two GSSC regular-season titles and of course, one glorious trip to Conseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis.

Beamon was a Times First-Team All-Area player this past season, putting up numbers of 14.4 points, 5.2 rebounds, 2.1 steals and 1.6 assists per game.

He finished with more than 900 career points and 400 rebounds, all while earning a 3.41 GPA in honors courses.

Youngstown State is part of the Horizon League, meaning Beamon will make an annual trip to Valparaiso for conference games.

Warriors coach Drew Trost told the audience that only 3 percent of all high school athletes will get a D-I scholarship offer, putting his star in the proper context.

"He overcame a number of obstacles," Trost said. "Losing his dad was the biggest. But he kept his faith, he worked very hard and it worked out in the end. We're very excited for him. I believe his best basketball is ahead of him."

In the last three weeks Beamon also received offers from Wright State and Liberty, but after taking his official visit Wednesday to Youngstown, he said he knew which door God had opened for him.

Monday was the culmination of great moments in a sweaty gym with his father, who was his mentor in basketball and every other aspect of his life.

"My dad was fighting for me his whole life," Beamon said. "I was in the gym with him since I was in second grade. This was our dream. It means the world to me that it came through and happened in this way."

Noll soccer player Jerrin Moore also recently signed to continue his career at Bradley.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/boys-basketball/college-scholarship-fulfills-our-dream-noll-s-beamon-says/article_0e014714-b69f-5568-a2b2-10b08b7c664b.html

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Gary Post Tribune story

The waiting is finally over for Ronnye Beamon.

The 6-4 guard from Bishop Noll signed a letter-of-intent on Monday to play college basketball at Youngstown State.

Beamon, a four-year varsity player for the Warriors, picked YSU over fellow D-I mid-majors Wright State and Liberty.

He’ll play shooting guard for the Penguins, who finished 16-15 this past season and 10-8 in the Horizon League. YSU didn’t start recruiting Beamon until last month, according to Noll coach Drew Trost.

“They love his athleticism and his ability to shoot the basketball,” Trost said. “He should be a real contributor in the Horizon League.”

Beamon averaged 14.5 points per game (high on the team), 5.2 rebounds and 1.7 assists for the Warriors this past season.

Trost said that Liberty had worked the hardest to get Beamon to commit, but that after Beamon took a visit to YSU he was convinced that was the place for him.

While playing for Noll, Beamon helped the team finish 76-19. They also won three Greater South Shore Conference titles, two GSSC tournament championships and they finished runner-up in the 2011 state tournament. Beamon missed an open 12-footer with time running out against Park Tudor that would have given the Warriors the victory in that game. Beamon finished his career with more than 900 points and 400 rebounds and he’s an honor student at Noll, finishing with a 3.41 GPA while taking advanced classes.

The Warriors also had another athlete, Jerrin Moore, sign a letter of intent with Bradley University for soccer.

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/12384484-556/nolls-ronnye-beamon-signs-with-youngstown-state.html

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
The Vindy needs to reprint this article to show the community that players that commit here are as excited and proud as could be. Our local paper needs to do a better job of introducing our new recruits to the community. The Youngstown area needs to connect with these kids. Large crowds should follow if interest increases in things beyond the won/loss record.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Just saw a note that Beamon was the 51st Indiana high school senior (or Indiana kid at a  prep school) to sign with a Division I basketball program.  407 basketball playing schools in the state.  Again, glad to see Coach Slocum and the staff making some inroads here.

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Perhaps I need to clarify my last post. I"ve always gotten the idea that many folks on this site seem to think that YSU recruits only choose us because we were the only D1 school to offer. Better than nuthin' syndrome. That is far from the truth. Belin and Beamon both had official signing parties at their school and are proud to become Penguins. Its just time that we, and our local newspaper, make a bigger deal about signing these guys. Don't think for a second that Weber, Hains, Belin,and Beamon haven't gone to the Vindicator website to check out what was written about their signing. And what do they find? A piddly little one paragraph write-up. They deserve better.

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
Everybody brace yourself and prepare for incoming artillery!  Wait until the 6'10" or bust crowd hears about this "wasted' scholarship. :P
This signing is absolutely rediculous. We can't afford to waste scholarships on 6'4" athletic basketball players. We need 7'0" players. Slocum refuses to sign any of them even though there are hundreds out there trying to get into YSU. I will seriously consider not renewing my season tickets.

I agree.  Maybe if the big time donors like yourself could come up with more jack, we could send Slocum to Africa on a recruiting trip.  Lots of 7' ers there.
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
Perhaps I need to clarify my last post. I"ve always gotten the idea that many folks on this site seem to think that YSU recruits only choose us because we were the only D1 school to offer. Better than nuthin' syndrome. That is far from the truth. Belin and Beamon both had official signing parties at their school and are proud to become Penguins. Its just time that we, and our local newspaper, make a bigger deal about signing these guys. Don't think for a second that Weber, Hains, Belin,and Beamon haven't gone to the Vindicator website to check out what was written about their signing. And what do they find? A piddly little one paragraph write-up. They deserve better.

Agree 100%.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Everybody brace yourself and prepare for incoming artillery!  Wait until the 6'10" or bust crowd hears about this "wasted' scholarship. :P
This signing is absolutely rediculous. We can't afford to waste scholarships on 6'4" athletic basketball players. We need 7'0" players. Slocum refuses to sign any of them even though there are hundreds out there trying to get into YSU. I will seriously consider not renewing my season tickets.

I agree.  Maybe if the big time donors like yourself could come up with more jack, we could send Slocum to Africa on a recruiting trip.  Lots of 7' ers there.
How about I start a fund-raising effort and call on you first. You'd have to dig up some of the coffee cans you have buried in the yard.

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile

How about I start a fund-raising effort and call on you first. You'd have to dig up some of the coffee cans you have buried in the yard.

In all seriousness IP that is not a bad idea.  How much do you think we could raise to get money to supplement Slocum's recruiting budget???  If we were to do that maybe YSU would be shamed into increasing it?