Author Topic: Montana fires football coach and athletic director  (Read 2718 times)

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Montana fires football coach and athletic director
« on: March 29, 2012, 03:39:02 PM »
Fan - not sure if you want here or off-topic board - move it wherever it belongs

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/montana-fires-football-coach-athletic-director/2012/03/29/gIQALpYMjS_story.html

By Associated Press, Updated: Thursday, March 29, 2:51 PM

HELENA, Mont. — The University of Montana has fired football coach Robin Pflugrad and athletic director Jim O’Day.

Assistant athletic director Greg Sundberg says O’Day and university President Royce Engstrom told staff and coaches Thursday morning.

Sundberg says neither gave a reason for the firings other than to say it was time for a leadership change. University Vice President Jim Foley’s office says the school does not have immediate comment.

News of the firings comes as the football program deals with sexual assault allegations against players. Earlier this month, a university student accused starting quarterback Jordan Johnson of sexually assaulting her. No charges have been filed.

Special teams player Beau Donaldson was suspended from the team after being charged in January with raping an acquaintance.

Sundberg says the allegations were not raised Thursday.

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Montana fires football coach and athletic director
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 03:40:15 PM »
Better story here:

The University of Montana has fired athletic director Jim O’Day and head football coach Robin Pflugrad.
Assistant athletic director Greg Sundberg sent this notice to the Grizzly Scholarship Association board of directors this morning:
“It is with great sadness that I inform you all that this morning our Athletic Director, Jim O'Day and Head Football Coach Robin Pflugrad were released of their duties as of 8:00 a.m. this morning. It will be a very difficult time for all of us in the coming days and I would ask that you stay positive.
“As more information comes out, I will be sure to let you know. At this point and time this is all that I know.”
At 12:45 p.m., UM president Royce Engstrom released a statement, announcing that the university was not renewing the two men's contracts.
Engstrom's statement read:
"The University of Montana has determined not to renew the contracts of Athletics Director Jim O’Day and head football coach Robin Pflugrad.
"The University will announce an interim athletics director and interim head coach by the end of the week. Further details about the search for permanent replacements will be released as the process develops.
"We thank Jim and Robin for their dedicated service to the University, and we wish them the best."
The Missoulian was able to contact Pflugrad on his way out of the Adams Center shortly before noon. The coach confirmed that he had been dismissed, but would not discuss it further - saying he wants to speak with members of the football team first.
Some supporters of UM athletics received emails this morning from O’Day.
Robert W. Minto Jr., president and CEO of ALPS Corp., posted this message on his Facebook page and called it to the attention of the Missoulian:
“I just got this e-mail from Jim O'Day,” Minto wrote: ‘Thanks so much for all the hard work and support I've received from each of you the past 8 years as athletic director and 6 years prior to that with the GSA and UM Foundation. It has been quite a ride. While this comes as a shock to both Robin and myself, it is part of today's global picture of intercollegiate athletics across the country. I realized that when I took the job.’ Good bad or indifferent I will miss him. He is my friend and always will be.”
Watch Missoulian.com for additional details as this breaking news story unfolds.

http://missoulian.com/news/local/university-of-montana-fires-football-coach-athletic-director/article_b7877268-79c0-11e1-92b3-0019bb2963f4.html#ixzz1qXKCMNz5