YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Men's Basketball vs Green Bay - Horizon League Tournament opener

<< < (3/3)

ysuindy:
Green Bay Press Gazette game story

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20120228/GPG020101/120228181/Men-s-basketball-Youngstown-knocks-UWGB-from-Horizon-tourney?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|GPG-Sports|s

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio — A few times this season, the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay men’s basketball team allowed teams to catch fire from long range.

This time, it ended its season.

Youngstown State hit eight 3-pointers in the first half, including five of its first six, and ran away with a 77-60 victory to knock the Phoenix out of the Horizon League tournament in Tuesday’s first round.

It was the second straight season the Phoenix made a first-round exit.

Though the sixth-seeded Penguins (16-14) cooled off and finished 10-for-23 from 3-point range, their early barrage buried the seventh-seeded Phoenix (15-15). By the time YSU hit its fifth 3 of the game, its lead was 25-11, and the game was essentially over.

“They ran it down our throats to start the game, and we dug a hole,” Phoenix coach Brian Wardle said. “They came out on fire. That’s what they do at home.”

Only twice after that did UWGB even get the game under double figures, both in the first half. Sophomore Alec Brown, who scored 20 points on 9-of-14 shooting and was the only UWGB player to score in double figures, cut the lead to nine points with a three-point play with 2:50 left in the first half. Keifer Sykes, whose streak of 10 straight double-figure games ended after he scored nine points and had six turnovers, also cut it nine with a jumper with 1:15 left in the first half.

UWGB had another possession to cut further into the lead, but couldn’t score and trailed 45-34 at halftime.

The Penguins started the second half much the same way. Blake Allen hit a 3-pointer on the first possession, and the Phoenix never got closer than a dozen. Though the Penguins hit only one more 3 in the second half, the damage was done.

All five YSU starters scored between 14 and 17 points.

The Phoenix entered the tournament on a five-game winning streak, the longest active streak in the league, and had won eight of its last 10. It failed to post a winning record for the second straight season, but perhaps gained some momentum for next season.

“We went on a heck of a run, winning eight out of our last 11,” Wardle said. “But those close losses early in the year came back to bite us, and we couldn’t get a home game. It’s tough go on the road and win in the conference tournament.”

HLecter:

--- Quote from: ysubigred on February 28, 2012, 04:01:35 PM ---
--- Quote from: HLecter on February 28, 2012, 02:43:03 PM ---Who has free tickets?  I can't afford 8 bucks

--- End quote ---

DAMN OBUMBA!!  ;D I'd send you 8 bucks but I'd be afraid you'd spend it on booze.. 8)

--- End quote ---

LOL ;D  Thanks Red, actually went with 5 friends (yes I have 5) and a kid came up to me as we were waiting in line to buy tix and gave me 6 free!  God works in mysterious ways!  Saving that 8 bucks meant I could get a tall guinness post-game!

Good to see Pita and Ray, Italian Penguin, El Penguin , Wolf and whoever else I nodded to and said "Whazzup" because I had forgotten their name.

YSU played GREAT.  Wonderful game on D.  Glad that most everybody stayed to the end to give the team a much deserved round of applause.  We gotta find a way to get another 1.000 there next season.

HLecter:
Oh, YSU football team was there too.

Saw Andrew Radakovich before the game at U PI and he told me everyone was going unless they had study table or a class.

No , he wasn't drinking but he sure was eating!

ItalianPenguin:
Good to see you there also Lecter. Geez, we really looked like a poorly coached, lucky team, didn't we? Maybe you should tell your friend Pally on the other site to take it like a man!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version