YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Basketball Drops 71-68 Decision at Austin Peay in BracketBuster Game

<< < (2/7) > >>

ysuindy:
No doubt a disappointing loss.  But APSU is far from the "worst team" on YSU's schedule, especially at home.  They have lost 3 games at home:  Middle Tennessee (already clinched Sun Belt), Murray State (already clinched OVC) and Belmont (leading the Atlantic Sun).  APSU lost by one in overtime to Detroit on a neutral floor one week before YSU beat Detroit.  As noted above they won at Tennessee - no matter how bad a SEC team is, a win over one on the road is a good win.

Overall a good day for the Horizon League, 7-3 in Bracket Busters in a "down" year. 

Again, a disappointing loss - but the "Fire Slocum" crowd after every loss is getting old. 

IAA Fan:
I am not in favor of "firing Slocum" at all. In fact, I wish they would announce now for recruiting, and will be very upset if he goes. However, I do not feel this team (APSU) should have been competitive with us. Not the team I saw yesterday. That was a bad UDM team they lost to ...not a bad team now that they return their two best players. I just want some consistency on the court. The rebounding issue also comes from 3-point shots. High powered shots do not leave too many second-chances.

As to rebounds, tell me if I am wrong, it seems as though we position ourselves on the perimeter defensively. I am thinking it has to with being used to offensive positioning because of the three.

YSUGO:
We have match up problems with teams that have decent bigs...needs to be addressed..Slocum gets 1 more year.  I hope we can get  a home turney game.  But I think we have ran out of gas!

OleYSUfan:
I know many on this board are in favor of keeping Slocum, but I for one don't see why.

This is his seventh season and the following are his YSU records:

05/06    7 - 21
06/07  14 - 17
07/08    9 - 21
08/09  11 - 19
09/10    8 - 22
10/11    9 - 21
11/12  14 - 13

Total: 72 wins - 134 loss:
If you remove the 12 div.11 and div. 111 games; the likes of Slippery Rock, Lock Haven, Allegheny, Hiram, Geneva, Malone, Fredonia State and the likes - the record is:

60 wins - 134 loss

No other coach in the horizon league would have gotten a chance on a 7th season!!

Slocum may be a very nice person and have a splendid personality, but he is ineffective as a division basketball coach. He does't promote driving to the basket to get possible fouls and usually the YSU team  gets 10- 15 foul shots per game when the oppenent may get 20- 25 foul shots per game.

He tends to have his players work hard on the perimeter to get off a 3 point shot, which may be good if you're making 45% or greater.

Yes, he has won a few big games, like Butler, Cleveland State and Milwaukee, but how about the close ones he was supposed to win.

I am curious why do many of you think Slocum deserves another year?

IAA Fan:
I think he a good game manager. He is prepared to play the teams faces ...positioning etc. He takes the talent that he has and makes the most of it. Yes, this should not be a consideration, but he $imply a great coaching value.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version