YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Basketball Drops 71-68 Decision at Austin Peay in BracketBuster Game

<< < (4/7) > >>

ysuindy:

--- Quote from: YsuPride on February 22, 2012, 06:33:06 AM ---   I am tired of hearing we are dealt a low budget and such.  Give me a break on that excuse by all of you.  That is getting old.  Do you think Robert Morris has a better budget than us? No but they just won 20 games and have post playesr that can play. 

--- End quote ---

http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/GetOneInstitutionData.aspx

Total men's basketball expenses:

Robert Morris $1,164,410

YSU $1,022,407

Try again.

IAA Fan:
I do not agree with you Pride. You act as though anything below YSU is "chicken feed", and coach S' record at Gannon can just be dismissed. Not so.  You do not have the big-time players there, yet he could recruit. We already went through a coach that had a resume at a bigger basketball school, and what did it get us? ...nothing. Waters was a gamble at CSU ...a coach they cannot afford & questionable resume. Slocum is the type of person that you need to help bring long-term success to a program like ours. Before Slocum, when were you able to listen to a coach comment about some of the prep players tourney's, and some kids that he saw? When did we receive invites to the summer Pitt camp?

I do not want this to become a football thread, but think about this. Had coach H remained at HC/DC, the $$$ were invested and YSU brought in coach Monty at OC ...where would we be right now? Two lessons with this story:

1. Do not discount the $$$ invested in a program. Over $250k each brought us a lousy DC, and a great OC. In the mean time, a good DC in Restkis (who worked at YSU for about 1/5 of Kravitz salary) went to Miami. So as the university invests more in basketball ...the court, the lockers, weight rooms, etc.  we are seeing results.

2. You asked if any of us would keep a person with a mediocre record, comparing it to the business world? Well, as an administrator in the business world, I would understand what Slocum was hired into, what it is now. I see that his contract is due, and there has been marked improvements. Now, the smart admin asks the coach what caused the success, what caused the lack of success in years past (even before coach S was hired-in), and what is he going to do to keep this success going (and growing), and what can you (the coach) and I (the university) do to help you achieve this success, and prevent us from going back to a less successful environment?

If coach S has some good ideas, and we (YSU admin) can offer him the support that he requests ...he has a new contract (longer than 1-year). The alternative is self-explanatory.

ItalianPenguin:
Just let idiots like YsuPride (there's a joke of a name) rant. It's one of the reasons our overall fan base is a joke. Some would rather see us lose. Pathetic.

YSUGO:
Slocum, earned at least another year or 2.  He could have this year and didnt. I am not a big fan of him, BUT, he could have stayed at Gannon and got his 16-18 wins with out breaking a sweat.  But he decided to come to a program that was in the crapper due to Robic, and now he has got us to the point if he can reel of a couple of good years , he will get us out of the crapper.  We dont have money and I don't see the detractors donating 5k a year we need about a 100 of those to get a coach that you think we all deserve.  Mahoning Valley fans are cheap.  So unless you want to give up some Benjamins...Slocum is our Coach!!!

YsuPride:
Indy- When you are spending over a Million $'s on basketball then what is $100,000 grand going to do to you.  Nothing.  I don't think the extra $100k plus gets them the better players than we got.  Robert Morris plays in what some would say a h.s sized arena in a piss poor conference yet they beat us each year and win 20 plus games.  The coaching staffsf are like politicians and have to convince players to come here so then Slocum must not be a good seller of our program.   

ItalianPenguin-Our fan base is a joke because we don't win and not because of posts on a website.  Some like myself want to have a winner that's why some of us are passionate about winning and hoping for change.

You guys must like losing but some of us don't. 
I wouldn't be attending games for 30 years if I wanted YSU to lose.  You have your opinions and I have mine that is what this board is for right? 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version