Author Topic: Coaches defend YSU WR recruit  (Read 6103 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Coaches defend YSU WR recruit
« on: February 08, 2012, 06:40:43 AM »
By Joe Scalzo

scalzo@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

When Eric Wolford was hired at Youngstown State two years ago, he made it clear he didn’t want players with questionable character.

“We have got to lay a foundation here for the future,” Wolford said in August 2010. “We’re not trying to do a quick fix. We want to bring in good character people.”

While he was willing to take on an occasional academic risk, he’s shied away from players with checkered backgrounds.

Until last week.

Byron Pringle, a wide receiver out of Tampa’s Robinson High, was one of 19 players to sign letters-of-intent on Feb. 1. He’s easily the most controversial.

Pringle missed his junior year following his July 2010 arrest for his role in a South Tampa crime spree. He received four year’s probation and 100 hours of community service and wrote apology letters to five victims, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

Despite a solid senior season, all but two FCS schools shied away from him: Bethune Cookman and Youngstown State.

“He’s a guy I thoroughly researched,” Wolford said. “I know sometimes there may be concerns but I think Byron is a classic of a guy being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

“I think everyone deserves a second chance.”

Pringle’s signing shows two things. One, Wolford believes Pringle’s potential far outweighs his risk. Two, Wolford feels his program is stable enough to absorb a player with a checkered past, particularly one who will be 1,000 miles from his bad influences.

“I’ll tell you what, I take exception with the words ‘checkered past’ and I take exception with the environment thing,” said Pringle’s high school coach, Mike DePue, who said Pringle was more of a bystander than an active participant in the crime spree. “He made a mistake, no two ways about.

“But he paid his dues and he’s been more than responsive to all the help he’s received.

“Every coach that’s come in, he’s looked them in the eye and said he made a mistake and he’s sorry for what he did. I think coaches shied away from him not because of questions about his character but because of how it would reflect on their program.”

Pringle said as much, telling the Times, “It feels great to have a second chance to play football, doing something I love. I just told [YSU’s coaches] the truth. I told them I was remorseful for what I did and that I’m a changed person.”

Over his 34 years as a coach at Robinson, DePue has coached players such as Kansas City Chiefs DB Javier Arenas, Jacksonville Jaguars WR Greg Ellingson, Purdue DB Frankie Williams and former Kentucky basketball player Desmond Allison, who was also a football standout in high school.

“We’ve had some great, great players at Robinson and I rate him [Pringle] as one of the top five players to come out of our school,” DePue said. “I won’t blow smoke up your [behind] on this. You’re getting a good one.

“If he hadn’t missed his junior year, he’d be one of the top five players in Florida.”

Pringle (6-2, 185) is a physical, explosive athlete whose college future is most likely as a returner and wide receiver. DePue calls him a quiet, intelligent kid who will benefit from being under the microscope.

“I told him when he signed, here’s a chance for you not to start a new life, but a new chapter in your life,” he said. “From the get-go, Youngstown left no stone unturned, talking to everyone from lawyers to teachers. I think they know what they’re getting into.

“And listen, I’ve been doing this for 34 years. If I say a kid ain’t worth it and he’s bad for your program, coaches listen. That’s not Byron. He’s going to be a great player and an exemplary leader for your program.”

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Coaches defend YSU WR recruit
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 05:55:42 PM »
I do not have a problem with this, treat him like everyone else, if he screws up send him home, welcome to Ytown
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 07:30:53 PM »
I think Tressel recruited a guy named Brown...Decent RB...went to Canton Mckinley, think he was in a car on a drive by shooting where a kid got murdered...Tressel took a chance the rest was history.  I am fuzzy on the details so if anybody has any more info...please enlighten us.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 08:25:49 PM »
05: The Akron police came and made a murder arrest right on the field. It was a frosh from Akron Garfield.

Are you getting at Jermaine Hopkins? Wow, what terrible, terrible tragedy that was. It seems like it was just yesterday, but it was back in 1996. All the reports were that it was a drive-bye, but in court they testified that the shooter approached the Hopkins/Jones house, pulled the gun from behind his back, and fired three shots. Jermaine was dead. The shooter ...Moore was his name, was sentenced to multiple counts, with the max on each. Life+25-years (murder + attempted)+gun specifications. Hope he is still rotting where ever he is. I am sure Hopkins is in two great places ...heaven and the YSU hall-of-fame.

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 09:58:52 PM »
Let's give the kid a chance......his second chance. One more chance........if he isn't in the library, when he isn't in class or the "weightroom"......he should be asked to leave.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 06:57:40 AM »
I don't see Pringle on the roster.  Did he make it to YSU or did he not enroll?  Anyone know?

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 07:22:33 AM »
He never left Florida.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 01:32:08 PM »
Indy--I don't think he qualified academically. It was a shot in the dark to begin with.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 01:42:49 PM »
It was a shot in the dark to begin with.

Kind of figured that from the start.  Was doing a google search for potential info on recruiting and his name came up.